Excessive Cranking - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excessive Cranking

I have an 11 LE with the push button start. Every now and then, the starter cranks longer than usual before the engine starts. There does not seem to be any pattern to it, i.e., temperature, time of day, rain, sun, after sitting overnight, etc. It has done this 4 or 5 times in the last year. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? It seems to be more prevelant in the cold, below 25 degrees. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump needs a little additional time to pressurize the lines in cold weather before sufficient fuel reaches the injectors to allow the engine to fire off. Starter spins the same in cold or hot weather. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2011 LE AWD, Graphite Blue, Navigation, Leather, Xenon, Fog lights, and a whole lot more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson View Post
I have an 11 LE with the push button start. Every now and then, the starter cranks longer than usual before the engine starts. There does not seem to be any pattern to it, i.e., temperature, time of day, rain, sun, after sitting overnight, etc. It has done this 4 or 5 times in the last year. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? It seems to be more prevelant in the cold, below 25 degrees. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump needs a little additional time to pressurize the lines in cold weather before sufficient fuel reaches the injectors to allow the engine to fire off. Starter spins the same in cold or hot weather. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I too have a 11 LE but do not have that problem. But then mine does not set outdoors and subject to low temperatures. I just bump the start button and it fires right up. Good luck on getting this issue resolved.
#3 Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM

I may have a solution to the issue I described previously. There is a Cold Start Control stored in the PCM. Apparently, this is activated when the temp is below a certain level (I have yet to determine the Degree F). It appears this is supposed to keep the engine from starting until sufficient oil pressure is built up. I will keep researching this and post additional information as I find it.

2011 LE AWD, Graphite Blue, Navigation, Leather, Xenon, Fog lights, and a whole lot more
#4 Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Had the ECM reprogrammed, so far it has started fine in all weather conditions.

#5 Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Garage
Had this problem just recently. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The pump was bleeding pressure so when it started it had no pressure in the lines so it had to crank to get fuel.

2009 Murano SL AWD
Super Black
Nav,Moonroof,Backup Camera,Leather
2007 Altima SL
Super Black
Leather
#6 Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Kingbee - It cranked a while before starting today, first time since the ECM was reprogrammed, and that was the first thing that crossed my mind, a fuel pressure problem. Was your starting issue consistent, or random? I tend to think a fuel pressure problem would be more consistent and not weather related - let me know your situation.

#7 Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 AM

Garage
tnelson- It was pretty consistent but would crank just fine every now and then. And as far as being weather related I really have to comparison since we just got our MO just about a month ago..

2009 Murano SL AWD
Super Black
2007 Altima SL
Super Black
Leather
#8 Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Exactly what is the difference between a normal and excessive crank? A second, or many seconds?

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#9 Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM

My only comment stems from our 09 doing this two-three times (12+ months apart). Could have been coincidence, yet after each return occurrence within two months or so the battery failed/had to be replaced. Almost like a sign that the battery was getting weak etc.

Just a data point.

Cheers

2009 LE
#10 Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM
The Phone Booth Fanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post
My only comment stems from our 09 doing this two-three times (12+ months apart). Could have been coincidence, yet after each return occurrence within two months or so the battery failed/had to be replaced. Almost like a sign that the battery was getting weak etc.

Just a data point.

Cheers
I was thinking the same thing, for my '09 had the same issue before needing a new battery. Take care!

Jim

"The pathologically precise are annoying, but right."

2009 LE - Black/Black
- Nissan JDM LED DRLs
- Nissan JDM Black Chrome Grille
- Nissan JDM Side Window Visors
- Color-matched Lower Bumper Covers
- Black Chrome Nissan Front and Rear Emblems
- 255/50-20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires
- Refinished 20" OEM LE Wheels in Nissan GTR Hyper-Smoke
- Stealth Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
- Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Light Bulbs
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 35% Tinted Front Side Windows
#11 Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 AM

Garage
Yeah with my issue it would crank and crank then turn over. Initially they tested my battery and it tested low so they replaced it. Did not fix the problem. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. At least my MO was under warranty. Got the fuel pump replaced and it starts right up.

2009 Murano SL AWD
Super Black
2007 Altima SL
Super Black
Leather

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: