Nissan Murano Forum banner

Click sound on shift console.

11K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bgrpph 
#1 ·
Is it normal?

When I am in park and touch the brake pedal, I have a click sound in the console under/around the shift lever. It is very noticeable, not subtle.

Only in park, not in neutral. I understand it is the safety switch I am hearing. I had the same on my Altima but do not recall this on my Gen-1 Murano.

How about you other Gen-2 owners, do you notice it if you press and release the brake?

Thanks
Bob1

#3 ·
+1 for the tick sound...noticed it one day after almost a year of ownership...now I just know of it, filtered it out I guess...but still it there :S
PS: in my 05 MO I hear it every time I go from stop to some speed and when I slow down from speed to full stop...

#4 ·
You are right about it being a safety switch. It is very noticeable indeed. The only other car I ever heard such click noise upon pressing brake pedal also had a cvt. It was a small sized honda sedan with a 1.3 litre engine. Trust me, cvt was no fun with such a small engine.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure why it took me from late Sept until now to notice it.
Guess I'm not alone so no panic to have the dealer look at it. Looks like a common issue.

#6 ·
It's the safety solenoid for the trans. It was far more noticeable with our old Subaru. And you could actually feel it pulling in when you stepped on the brake.

#7 ·
I hear the click at the shifter when stepping on brake pedal after I've bled the brakes. Once I take it for the test drive and return home, the noise is gone. This has happened twice when I replaced the front and rear brake pads on 2 separate occasions. My guess is the electro mechanical switch bottoms out and locks up during the brake bleed procedure, but then resets after disengaging park and driven a bit. These transmission solenoids are necessary but their quirkiness is inherent in their design. I believe it's a mfg. issue if some reset and some just fail completely.

#8 ·
Thats the SHIFTLOCK. Every automatic since the 90s has it and some are more audible than others. That's what disables you from shifting out of Park without stepping on the brake.

Reactions: bob1
#12 ·
No it is an electrical/mechanical switch. Bleeding would not do anything to fix that.

#11 ·
Shiftlock

The clicking sound is the shiftlock mechanism that prevents you from moving the shift lever out of park without having your foot on the break after the engine is running. It is a mechanical operation - on most if not all Nissans, there is a slot on the console (depending on the model) near the shifter into which you can insert a screwdriver and manually disengage the locking mechanism that will allow you to shift the car out of park and into neutral if the engine is not running.

#14 ·
Maybe we are on a differ page. Mine only happens in park. Distinct tap from the shifter console. Metallic "click" sound as it someone tapped it with a screwdriver.

I am feeling the solenoid safety switch engage and disengage.
Anyone else care to join the conversation?

#15 ·
2011 Murano, LE, FWD, 37k miles just bought few weeks ago. never heard clicking until yesterday, after i replaced rear pads & bleed the brakes- started car & in park heard a very loud mechanical clicking sound every time i hit brakes- shifted it into D & no click- put it back into park & loud click. Drove around yesterday to bed brakes in- This morning with car running in park, still loud clicking when stepping on brakes, shift to drive & no clicking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.