Nissan Murano Forum banner

10 Murano won't start, new battery

15K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  NorthernGillis 
#1 ·
My gf replaced the battery on her 10 Murano 2 weeks ago. It has worked fine since but tonight the engine spins fine but won't fire. It smells like it's flooded. We let it sit for a couple hours and same thing. Unfortunately, it's in the garage and would rather not pay for a tow if someone knows what it could possibly be. No other symptoms, has run fine until tonight. thanks in advance for the help

#3 ·
If it's spinning over I would think the battery has enough amperage to fire a coil. I don't think it's that.

It sure isn't like the old days to diagnose. But cars still need fuel / air / spark /timing / and compression.

Smells like you have the fuel, most likely you have the air, and the compression, so .... timing and spark remain IMO.

Last cars I worked on, I could sit in the engine compartment and change the spark plugs with an open end wrench. :D so I think this may be one of those .. ya gotta tow it to the repair shop deals. :(

Please post what it ended up being so we can all benefit. Thanks!

#4 ·
Have you tried holding the throttle pedal to the floor while cranking it to get more air in and clear out the extra gas? I had a 1995 Dodge Neon with over 300K on it and the injectors would leaks down over night and cause it to flood itself, just held the throttle down all the way and cranked it over for a few seconds to get a bit more air in and she would fire off a bit rough and then clean out, if one just cranked on it, it would never start without the extra air.

#6 ·
Engine Wont Fire

I own a 2008 model Murano and have just experienced a "no start" problem. The engine,the turned over fine, but would not fire. Got the car towed to the dealership in the UAE (I live in the Middle East) they told me that the engine management system detected a component failure in the CVT and damage to the sensors.
A bill of equivalent to $7500 for new torque convertors and all was being faced. I removed the vehicle from the dealership to check for myself.
I got under the car, checked the CVT hoses to the radiator, both were "leaking" as I had had a new radiator fitted a month previously. It looked like the garage had not sealed the hoses correctly.
So I got the hoses changed, had the CVT oil replaced, steam cleaned all underneath and the car runs fine.
I can only assume that the engine management system detected low oil in the CVT and prevented the car from starting.

#8 ·
Hi Guys;
I had _very_ similar symptoms with my 2009 murano for several years (smell of flooding when it did start, and hard starting and 'clicking' of the starter sometimes). After going though several batteries I knew there was something else at play and I finally was able to solve the problems by (almost forcing) the dealership to reprogram the cars computer. My post thread is below.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009-2014/29274-ongoing-2009-murano-problems.html

Not sure if it is possibly the same issue or not, but reprogramming the ECM did help in my case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.