User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 31 Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
winter tires on new Murano

Hello,

I have a 2009 Murano SL (19" allow wheels) and a pair of Toyo GO2 Plus winter tires that I beleive are 18" inches. They are: 245/65R17

I am currently replacing my 2009 for a 2012 LE model which has 20" allow wheels as summer tires.

Will my current Toyo winter tires fit on my new 2012 LE ? or will I have to purchase a new set of bigger winter tires ?

Thanks !

Stephane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The 245/65R17 tires are for 17" wheels, so I assume that is what you are using. They have a diameter of 29.54".

The stock tires on the 2012 LE are 235/55-20 which have a diameter of 30.18".

When using the 17" winter tires your MO and the speedometer indicates 65 MPH you will actually be tooling along at 63.6 MPH.

Now, if your winter tires are actually 18" and the correct spec is 245/65R18 then the diameter is really 30.54" which is closer to stock and the speed differential would be just 3/4 mph at 65 MPH.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 31 Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
17 inch tires will not mount on 18 inch wheels...or 19" or 20" wheels. The 17" wheels may fit the vehicle but as noted above, the speedometer will be quite inaccurate.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the claim that you have 19" wheels is not correct. They should be either 18 or 20 inches...unless there was a 19" option on the 09 models.

The last two numbers in the tire size tell you what wheel diameter the wheels fit. I suggest you talk with a tire shop or do a bit of Internet research to learn how tire sizing works...there is some important stuff to learn.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #4 of 31 Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
17 inch tires will not mount on 18 inch wheels...or 19" or 20" wheels. The 17" wheels may fit the vehicle but as noted above, the speedometer will be quite inaccurate.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the claim that you have 19" wheels is not correct. They should be either 18 or 20 inches...unless there was a 19" option on the 09 models.

The last two numbers in the tire size tell you what wheel diameter the wheels fit. I suggest you talk with a tire shop or do a bit of Internet research to learn how tire sizing works...there is some important stuff to learn.
Thanks for the info. I made a mistake, my tires are P235/65TR18 (summer wheels. My winter tires are as I have said, P245/65R17 so I guess the winter tires are smaller ?

The winter tires are on their own steel rims. So maybe the rims are bigger so that the overall size of the tires are the same once mounted.

Either way, it does not look like I'll be able to use them on the 2012 LE which has 20" summer tires.. I want to make sure because I don't want the dealer to sell me new winter tires if I don't have to get them..

Oh I should also mention that it was the Nissan Dealer sold me those winter tires specifically for my 2009 MO.. so I hope they knew what they were doing !!!
post #5 of 31 Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdRiker View Post
Thanks for the info. I made a mistake, my tires are P235/65TR18 (summer wheels. My winter tires are as I have said, P245/65R17 so I guess the winter tires are smaller ?

The winter tires are on their own steel rims. So maybe the rims are bigger so that the overall size of the tires are the same once mounted.

Either way, it does not look like I'll be able to use them on the 2012 LE which has 20" summer tires.. I want to make sure because I don't want the dealer to sell me new winter tires if I don't have to get them..

Oh I should also mention that it was the Nissan Dealer sold me those winter tires specifically for my 2009 MO.. so I hope they knew what they were doing !!!
I'd sell the 17 inch rims and tires and get rid of them. IMO the dealer did you a major disservice by selling you wheels and tires that are not correct for ANY Murano ever built. What's more, they automatically made your speedometer and odometer inaccurate the moment you installed them.

I am not one who intentionally creates an accuracy problem with the equipment in my car - and running the wrong size wheels does that.

I suggest you simply run a good year-round all weather tire in the correct size if the Murano is an AWD. That handles ski trips into the mountains of Colorado for me! But I see you're in Canada, so depending on your weather you may need snow tires more. I'd go to Ebay and buy a set of wheels in the correct size and go from there. Someone will buy your 17" wheels, and that will help with the cost.

Honestly, I find it extremely puzzling that a Nissan dealer would sell you wheels which are in a diameter that is non-standard for any Murano ever built. That's very odd.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #6 of 31 Old 11-20-2012, 06:02 PM

I'm also thinking a "pair" of winter tires means 2. If it's AWD, you need 4 snow tires, and even if it's FWD, I'd still want 4 matching tires.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_n_jamer View Post
I'm also thinking a "pair" of winter tires means 2. If it's AWD, you need 4 snow tires, and even if it's FWD, I'd still want 4 matching tires.
True. Even with AWD and anti-lock, if you put the best tires on the front, when you hit the brakes hard on a slippery surface, the rear end can come around 180 degrees REALLY fast!

And if you have AWD, don't even think about running tires that are different diameters on the front and back. Drivetrain damage awaits.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #8 of 31 Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I talked to the service manager this afternoon and he told me he's "pretty sure" my 245/65R17 will fit on my new 2012 LE. His main concern is having enough room inside the steel rim to fit the brake hardware. But like he said "won't know until have the tire in my hands putting on the car" . That's not very reassuring.. especially since he can see in his computer exactly what they sold me ! don't they know ? fit or not fit.. should not be hard for them to figure that out.

I do not know why they sold me 17" inch winter tires, but I've seen it before elsewhere as well where they go down one size for winter tires. Not sure why, but they do.

It migth not be ideal, but I don't want to spend $1200 on tires and rims at this moment.. when those winter tires need replacing in another 2 winters, then I'd get 20" tires / wheels etc.
post #9 of 31 Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Oh and how come I can't find certain brands of winter tires for my MO ?

For instance, on the Michelin site - choose 2012 - Nissan - Murano = Sorry, no tires match OEM size or something like that..

Same for Nokian, no tires for that vehicle available.. ?

I could only find a Bridgestone Blizzak and the Toyo GO2 Plus.. and a Dunlop.

Don't manufacturers like Michelin, Nokian, Pirelli, Good Year etc.. make winter tires for the 2012 MO LE ?

Obviously, there is something I'm not getting here ..

Riker
post #10 of 31 Old 11-22-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Also strange.. anytime I choose the LE trim level in the "tire selector" of various manufacturer.. no results.. nothing.. but if I choose SL .. I get one or more results..

Blizzak DMV1 in 18" configuration comes up the most..

No 20" winter tires that I can see from anyone for the MO LE.

Weird..
post #11 of 31 Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdRiker View Post
Well I talked to the service manager this afternoon and he told me he's "pretty sure" my 245/65R17 will fit on my new 2012 LE. His main concern is having enough room inside the steel rim to fit the brake hardware. But like he said "won't know until have the tire in my hands putting on the car" . That's not very reassuring.. especially since he can see in his computer exactly what they sold me ! don't they know ? fit or not fit.. should not be hard for them to figure that out.

I do not know why they sold me 17" inch winter tires, but I've seen it before elsewhere as well where they go down one size for winter tires. Not sure why, but they do.

It migth not be ideal, but I don't want to spend $1200 on tires and rims at this moment.. when those winter tires need replacing in another 2 winters, then I'd get 20" tires / wheels etc.
My answer would be HELL NO for the 17s, but it's your car. If the brake mechanisms clear the wheels, then there's no reason you can't run them.

I would be going after the dealership and asking them to pay for at least helf the price of new tires and wheels, because it was irresponsible of them to put the wrong size wheel on your car. I have never heard of a dealership doing such a thing...they screwed up! Because of the size mismatch, you now have an inaccurate odometer which you legally need to disclose when you sell the car, and your speedometer has been inaccurate all the time you were running those wheels and tires.

The question you seem to have trouble grasping is: What size is SUPPOSED to be on your car? Whatever tires came on the car are the correct size, and that's what you should use as a starting point for installing wheels. If they were 18", go 18. if they were 20, go 20. If they were 18, do not go 20!

And 17 isn't correct no matter what you do.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #12 of 31 Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM

You still haven't said if it's AWD or FWD.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_n_jamer View Post
You still haven't said if it's AWD or FWD.
It is AWD. And the dealer confirm with me yesterday that my current winter tires will work just fine on the 2012, just as they did on my 2009.

So, at the end of the day I guess there is no issue.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
post #14 of 31 Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Just be aware that your speedometer will read faster than you're going. If you have a chance to check your odometer against highway mile markers, it would be interesting to calculate how much. You might be able to find a tire diameter reference chart that will tell you the percentage of error.

Since you're in Canada, you may not be legally bound to disclose the inaccuracy of your odometer when you re-sell the car. It will show more miles (or kilometers) then you have actually traveled.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #15 of 31 Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The amount njjoe listed for the speedmeter being off for both sets is within the margin of error on factory speedometers anyway (less than +/- 1.5 MPH). I think you're being a little too anal on the overall diameter difference. If they fit (aka, clear the brakes, suspension and fenders), use them and don't worry about it.

How fast are you really going? The accuracy of speedometers | Fox News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: