Differences between 09 and 12 MO - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Differences between 09 and 12 MO

I own a 2009 Murano SL and I am about to trade it in for a 2012 LE model which I am picking up in a few days.

It's pretty much a done deal, only final papers to sign on pick up.

After some digging, I found some differences between the 2 models and wondered if anyone here have an opinion on these differences.

1. To my knowledge, the 2009 and the 2012 have the same V6 engine. However, the 2012 has 5 less horsepower (260 vs 265) and 8lb less of torque (240 vs 248). In real life, is that something I will notice ? like "hey this MO does not take off / accelerate as good as my old MO" kind of thing ? Or is the diff so small that I won't notice anything ?

2. The 2012 is 1.5 inches longer, but has less of internal cargo space, 4 cubic feet less I think I read on the specs sheets.

3. The 2012 has a larger turning radius.
4. The 2012 has less headroom, by about 1.5 inches.
5. The 2012 weights 250lbs more than the 09.

So, according to the specs, the 2012 is less powerful, has less interior space, less headroom, needs more space to turn and is heavier to move around.

On the plus side, I'm going from an 2009 SL trim to a 2012 LE trim and an improved CVT system.

The question is, will I notice all of these "less" differences ?

One thing that is not really important, but I much prefer the style of the 2009 vs the 2012. I find the front grill of the 09 more aggressive and "meaner" than the smaller 2012 grill. And I find the back of the 09 also more attractive than the 2012.

But, I'm looking forward to the leather seats, the power liftgate, the dual moonroofs and the memory seat position.

Oh Also, I read that the 2009 recommended Premium unleaded fuel , but the 2012 says " regular unleaded" .. should I continue to use Premium for maximum performance ? since I have 5 less horses LOL !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They eliminated the flashcard slot on the 11-and 12 model..
Also HID light is no longer adjustable via the switch..
The cluster lighning is white instead of orange..
Less HP to improve fuel economy.
A little bit change with the screen and dash display
Redesidned tail lights and somewhat... LOL
Otherwise not much different body design...
it doesn't hurt using premium, but since nissan tuned for regular unleaded .i would go with that unless you don't mind payng extra bucks for the premium...
#3 Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block8head View Post
They eliminated the flashcard slot on the 11-and 12 model..
Also HID light is no longer adjustable via the switch..
The cluster lighning is white instead of orange..
Less HP to improve fuel economy.
A little bit change with the screen and dash display
Redesidned tail lights and somewhat... LOL
Otherwise not much different body design...
it doesn't hurt using premium, but since nissan tuned for regular unleaded .i would go with that unless you don't mind payng extra bucks for the premium...
Right, I forgot about the cluster lighting.. I prefer the Orange myself.. going to have to get use to the white.

Funny thing is that fuel efficiency is listed as 18/24 vs 18/23 .. pretty darn close.. I say give me my power back !! and keep your 1 mile !!

My 2009 gas tank cover had a sticker that said " use premium for best performance" .. I guess they "tuned" th engine to run "as well as" premium gas on regular ? .. I'll keep using Premium I think.. I get it a costco and pay the same as regular gas at Petro Canada for the premium.

Honestly, if I could have afforded the 2009 LE with all the trimmings back on 09, I would NOT be looking to change it.. for a long time..
#4 Old 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM

I really seriously doubt there is any difference in exterior size or interior room. All the parts are identical in the 2009 - 2012. (Specs may be different or more realistic now than they were in 2009). The only thing I can believe is less horsepower (I doubt that you'll notice), and greater weight because of extra stuff on the LE.
#5 Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM
HVT

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdRiker View Post
I own a 2009 Murano SL and I am about to trade it in for a 2012 LE model which I am picking up in a few days.

It's pretty much a done deal, only final papers to sign on pick up.

After some digging, I found some differences between the 2 models and wondered if anyone here have an opinion on these differences.

1. To my knowledge, the 2009 and the 2012 have the same V6 engine. However, the 2012 has 5 less horsepower (260 vs 265) and 8lb less of torque (240 vs 248). In real life, is that something I will notice ? like "hey this MO does not take off / accelerate as good as my old MO" kind of thing ? Or is the diff so small that I won't notice anything ?

2. The 2012 is 1.5 inches longer, but has less of internal cargo space, 4 cubic feet less I think I read on the specs sheets.

3. The 2012 has a larger turning radius.
4. The 2012 has less headroom, by about 1.5 inches.
5. The 2012 weights 250lbs more than the 09.

So, according to the specs, the 2012 is less powerful, has less interior space, less headroom, needs more space to turn and is heavier to move around.

On the plus side, I'm going from an 2009 SL trim to a 2012 LE trim and an improved CVT system.

The question is, will I notice all of these "less" differences ?

One thing that is not really important, but I much prefer the style of the 2009 vs the 2012. I find the front grill of the 09 more aggressive and "meaner" than the smaller 2012 grill. And I find the back of the 09 also more attractive than the 2012.

But, I'm looking forward to the leather seats, the power liftgate, the dual moonroofs and the memory seat position.

Oh Also, I read that the 2009 recommended Premium unleaded fuel , but the 2012 says " regular unleaded" .. should I continue to use Premium for maximum performance ? since I have 5 less horses LOL !
There are no size differences between the09 and the 12. The power/torque difference is simply due to the 09 using premium fuel and the new ones using regular. Use premium and you'll get the 5 HP back.
The new model also has the updated transfer case and CVT transmission. As for asthetics, the taillights are interchangable if you wanted to pick up a pair of 09s to replace the 12s......or maybe find someone to trade? Enjoy your new LE.

Nissan LED DRLs
Navigation
Chromed stainless rear bumper protector
Retrofit 4300k HIDs
235/65-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons
iJDMtoy RED LED Bumper reflector lights
#6 Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM

I'd be interested to know where you got your specs. Because as I stated and HVT confirmed, there is no size difference, whatsoever, in the 2 model years. There are a few cosmetic changes, and that is it.
#7 Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_n_jamer View Post
I'd be interested to know where you got your specs. Because as I stated and HVT confirmed, there is no size difference, whatsoever, in the 2 model years. There are a few cosmetic changes, and that is it.

Hi,

I got the specs from various sites such as Edmunds etc. Pulled up both years / model and did a side by side compare.

I does not really matter.. I'm sure I am going to love my new 2012 MO LE so it's all good..
#8 Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think you'll find it's quite a sweet ride!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#9 Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
HVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_n_jamer View Post
I'm thinking maybe he's reading the specs for the 07 and earlier models? I've read that the 2nd gens specs showed it was slightly smaller on interior dimentions but don't hold me to that.

Nissan LED DRLs
Navigation
Retrofit 4300k HIDs
#10 Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM

2012 MO LE Specs here:
2012 Nissan Murano LE 4dr SUV 3.5L V6 CVT Automatic Features and Specs

2009 MO SL Specs here:
2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV 3.5L V6 CVT Automatic Features and Specs

If you put up both sites side by side (easy to do in Windows 7) you can compare each spec to the other. However the 2012 specs are not as detailed as the 2009.. several measurements are missing from the 2012 page. But both models are very very close..with some differences according to that web site. Does not mean they are accurate..but that's where I got the differences.

Cheers
#11 Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM
HVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdRiker View Post
2012 MO LE Specs here:
2012 Nissan Murano LE 4dr SUV 3.5L V6 CVT Automatic Features and Specs

2009 MO SL Specs here:
2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV 3.5L V6 CVT Automatic Features and Specs

If you put up both sites side by side (easy to do in Windows 7) you can compare each spec to the other. However the 2012 specs are not as detailed as the 2009.. several measurements are missing from the 2012 page. But both models are very very close..with some differences according to that web site. Does not mean they are accurate..but that's where I got the differences.

Cheers
You'll see for yourself. They're the same and those numbers are inaccurate. Maybe someone measured legroom headroom etc with the seats in different places, who knows.

Nissan LED DRLs
Navigation
Retrofit 4300k HIDs
#12 Old 11-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One other important thing, price $$$$$$$$$$$

2011 Murano SL