OD button - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OD button

I've notice that the OD button on the my shifter today doesn't do anything when i press it,even when i'm driving...
when you first start the car, the OD light illuminated and then dissapeared after the engine is running, but when you press the button, nothing responded...
Is this electrical issue or the transmission itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably electical. This overdrive button is different than any I have ever had. My past two vehicals it did exactly what I think they should do.... turn off OD. This is a down hill assist button. The RPMs goes way up.
#3 Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Are you trying the OD button in highway speeds?

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#4 Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm not using it, just wondering why is it not working...
#5 Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mine on the 2012 works as I would expect it. I have the same thing on my 2010 Explorer. It works well in WV when traversing the hills. When I push it a light illuminates on the dash and the transmission "downshifts" to allow me go up and down hills easier. Same as on my Explorer.

I don't use it much, just on some steep, windy mountain roads here in Wild, Wonderful WV!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I may be wrong but putting an OD button on a CVT-equipped vehicle is nothing more than a marketing ploy to make the vehicle appear more like one equipped with a conventional auto-trany.

The MO's CVT will automatically shift (change ratio) when it encounters an increased load due to a hill. It also has a feature called "Hill Descent Control" which alters the CVT's ration to increase engine braking on downhill grades. So why is the OD button needed?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#7 Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
B8h-

The next time you are traveling at highway speeds on level ground you can test the functionality of the OD system.

Maintain a constant speed and note the RPMs. Then engage the OD OFF switch, the OD OFF indicator light on the panel should illuminate and the RPMs should increase. If not, then there may be an issue with the OD system.

Let us know what you find out.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#8 Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
The MO's CVT will automatically shift (change ratio) when it encounters an increased load due to a hill. It also has a feature called "Hill Descent Control" which alters the CVT's ration to increase engine braking on downhill grades. So why is the OD button needed?

-njjoe
I'm not exactly sure why they have it, but I know in my case it works quite well. It's especially useful when traversing steep twisting mountain roads. The CVT may have a "hill descent control" but it doesn't control the descent well enough when coming off some of the mountains around here. I presume that's why Nissan installed it, not as a marketing ploy.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#9 Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
In an ordinary automatic transmission, OD is normally off so when pushing the OD button, it turns on the over drive function or gear and "shifts" the tranny into a higher gear, dropping rpm of the engine relative to the speed of the car.
Sounds like with a CVT, the OD button functionality is the reverse. In other words, the OD button works as a "limiter", keeping the tranny from going into a higher gear. So OD is always on unless turned off by activating the OD button. Is that correct?

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#10 Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I use it the same as Hawlg. Great for passing too. It's also referenced as the "Sport Mode" switch in the FSM.

Also from the FSM:
When pushing the Overdrive control switch (OD OFF indicator lamp turns ON), the driving condition becomes Overdrive OFF. When pushing again the Overdrive control switch (OD OFF indicator lamp turns OFF), the driving condition changes to D range.

It sounds to me like your switch may be bad, or wires to it have come off.

Remember, you must be in Drive to turn OD off (light on). If you change to Low, the light goes out.

From the owners manual:
Overdrive (O/D) OFF switch When the O/D OFF switch is pushed with the selector lever in the D (Drive) position, the indicator light in the instrument panel illuminates. Use the overdrive off mode when you need improved engine braking. To turn off the overdrive off mode, push the O/D OFF switch again. The indicator light will turn off. Each time the engine is started, or when the selector lever is shifted to any position other than the D (Drive) position, the overdrive off mode will be automatically turned off.

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#11 Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I was just gonna ask the OP if he had read the section of the owner's manual dealing with the OD....

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#12 Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Update:

Went to the dealer and found out one of the wire was cut from the previous owner.. Probably installed something and accidently cut the wire without knowing it...
Took them 3 hours, found and fixed.....

#13 Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 PM
HVT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It's an OD OFF button. When pushed, the OD OFF lights up and it feels almost like going from 4HI to 4LO. There's a big difference...good for going down long downhills without having to hold the brakes. It seems to feel different at all speeds too.

Nav
Chromed stainless rear bumper protector
Retrofit 5k HIDs
235/65-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons
#14 Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block8head View Post
Update:

Went to the dealer and found out one of the wire was cut from the previous owner.. Probably installed something and accidently cut the wire without knowing it...
Took them 3 hours, found and fixed.....

GOOD MOVE!! Glad they found it!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: