drilling holes for front plate holder - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drilling holes for front plate holder

Hi, I just bought a murano 09 and it does not have a plate holder on the front bumper, in texas it is required to have a front plate, so I want to drill the holes and place it but I do not not have any space in the back of the bumper to go with my hand and secure the nut after I drill the holes. Does anybody here did that? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think you are going to need the front license plate bracket. I wouldn't just drill holes in your bumper. Check with Nissan they should be able to get you one.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#3 Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Hawg is right. You need to install the license plate bracket first and that will help you locate the location of the holes you need to drill. Just make sure you drill the correct size holes. When I installed mine on my 2004 (and I think yours would be the same way) the bracket came with a a couple of plastic pieces that were inserted into the holes and turned to lock in place. Bracket mounted to those plastic pieces.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#4 Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM

The previous owner left a plate holder and has the plastic pieces you mentioned, the receipt is from february 2012 so I guess he never figured out how to installed. I do not want to go to the dealer and get charge 200 bucks to install the stupid thing! Does anybody knows if there is a no drill plate holder for the murano? like the one it uses the tow hook? thnaks
#5 Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
This thing has to be easy to install. There are already a couple dimples in the bumper fascia where the holes go. Do a search for the installation of the license plate holder.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landras View Post
The previous owner left a plate holder and has the plastic pieces you mentioned, the receipt is from february 2012 so I guess he never figured out how to installed. I do not want to go to the dealer and get charge 200 bucks to install the stupid thing! Does anybody knows if there is a no drill plate holder for the murano? like the one it uses the tow hook? thnaks
With the factory front bracket you may find a template and instructions for the install. There are also instructions in your owner's manual. Not all that complicated. Drill as instructed / correct size bit. As for the tow hook mount you speak of, go to Stillen here/website http://www.stillen.com/products/plat...hkq5fshkd0b8h7 as they make one for the 370Z that will may work with the Murano. Might not look that great and it is pricey ($70-90+) though. Looks great on the Z. By the way, the front bracket from Nissan runs about $45.00+. Be glad you found it in your car!

Here is an old forum thread: Front license plate bracket install

eeeee
#7 Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM

I know of two companies that make tow hook license plate brackets
1.) GoMiniGo
2.) Rho License plate bracket

I have used both (on BMW) they are great quality. GoMiniGo says they can accomodate a Murano, but you may have to contact them for specifics. I think both brackets sell for $50-$65.00.
You can also Google "no holes license plate bracket" and you will come up with a bunch of references.

2010 SL, Bright Silver
#8 Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys, there is something weir about the bumper since it does not have the couple dimples in the bumper fascia, I am wondering if the previous owner had a small accident and replace it and for that reason does not have the dimples.
I think the front bracket is not an official one, I will try it any ways...thanks
nico
#9 Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just FYI your wrong about Texas making it mandatory to have the front plate on vehicles. Save yourself the time and keep the bumper looking clean the way it is. Just my .02

2011 Murano LE Platinum Graphite w/Nav
No Mods...YET!
#10 Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoNy_KiLLer View Post
Just FYI your wrong about Texas making it mandatory to have the front plate on vehicles. Save yourself the time and keep the bumper looking clean the way it is. Just my .02
Umm, you're wrong. (Nice first post btw)

According the TX DPS and my cop friends back in TX. It's required to have 2 plates - front and back. Though placement is not define. When in doubt, call DPS.

Putting in the windshield is a bad idea because cops will still pull you over depending if it warrants the situation. That will put the OP at risk for a ticket or leave with warning.

Bottom line, OP is risking a chance of getting pulled over anywhere in the state. Ticket or a warning, time is loss during that whole event.

2012 SL AWD w/ Nav, Pearl White |OEM Rear Bumper Plate | OEM Infiniti JX35 20" Wheels | OEM LED DRL | 3M PPF/Clear Bra
#11 Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Maybe this can help clear things up....> CLICK HERE

Former owner of ~~~~> Black O3 SE AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: