FX50 Akebono retrofit to the gen2 MO - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question FX50 Akebono retrofit to the gen2 MO

I've been tempting to do this for awhile, but have yet pulling the trigger...

I've search all over the internet forums including the fx forum for answer, but only found 1 guy with the FX35 successfully retrofitted FX50 akebono brakes into his fx35 with a few simple steps.
Note:"Might need to modify the brackets to fit or can use the FX50 bracket if lucky"

My question is: do you guys think is the FX35 and the MO have the same or similar brakes system?

The reason why i'm doing this because i've found a place to purchase the front kits for less, and my front brakes and rotors needed to be replace...

I'd love to hear some inputs..

TIA

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have an answer on this, but my big question is "why?" What's the point of a retrofit? The OEM braking system is pretty much optimized for the weight and size of the MO, and most likely the tires are the limiting factor in stopping distances, not the brakes. Is brake fade a big issue for you in your driving pattern? Is it mainly for appearance? If fade is the issue, you might want to try some upgraded pads and rotors and fluid first.

A couple of things to think about, even if you could accomplish the retro, are:
- brake bias: changing to the FX50 kit could alter the factory brake bias and actually lengthen your stopping distances. It's something a lot of people don't think about when putting on BBK's.
- unsprung weight: the FX50 calipers and rotors may add a lot of unsprung weight to the car, which can alter handling and wear and tear on tires, bearings, etc.

Hope this helps.

2011 SL AWD, Graphite Blue, Beige interior
#3 Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just did the PowerStop K091 combo kit and I like it. No more squealing. Found a deal at Streetsideauto.com $155.99 shipped!

"Big brake feel without the big price."

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#4 Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM

I too have been lurking around for akebonos. Im in it for the looks and stopping power!!
#5 Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I'm wondering what's wrong with the current stopping power. I've driven mine hard and pulled a 3000 pound trailer with it and I can't fault the Murano brakes. IMO they're very good, and more than sufficient for a crossover SUV that's not a sports car.

Please enlighten me about what their shortcomings are, because I haven't found them driving in Colorado's Rocky Mountains.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnir3volutio View Post
I too have been lurking around for akebonos. Im in it for the looks and stopping power!!
Looks I understand, but what do you mean by "stopping power"?

Do you mean you want to feel like you're getting thrown through the windshield when you hit the brakes? If so, the reality is that by making changes to accomplish that, what you've really done is move the brake bias (balance of front vs rear braking force) significantly forward so it feels like stopping power has improved, but in reality, you've actually upset the balance so carefully calibrated by Nissan. The end result is actually longer stopping distances, not shorter ones. Big brake kits are usually added to provide additional thermal/heat handling capability in racing or for repeated high speed or high load stops, not to shorten stopping distances. Stickier tires shorten stopping distances. Here are some good articles on the subject:

Why a Big Brake Kit Won't Make Your Car Stop Faster - Autos.com
http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...alance-matters

Now I'm not saying that the Akebono kit will change the factory brake bias per se, but I don't think too many people know for sure, and that's something to consider before attempting a retrofit.

2011 SL AWD, Graphite Blue, Beige interior
#7 Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyway, found the kit. will start working on them after new year....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: