replace H8 fog light bulb on 2012 murano SL - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
replace H8 fog light bulb on 2012 murano SL

I replaced the OEM H11 bulb on my low beam headlight with a H9. Is there a bulb that is a little more powerfull to replace the H8 in my foglight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I replaced my oem fog light last year with Hoen fogs H8 after another forum member recommended it. I have no complaints with it and like the way it looks

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
#3 Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM

I just changed the fog lamps on my 2010 SL yesterday to the Hoen H8 (Xenonmatch). I did this to try and match the DDM Tuning HID kit that I installed last week. The Hoens are a 4000K bulb, and the DDM Xenons are 5000K. So, the fogs are a little yellower than the Xenons, I was a little disappointed. Overall the results are good, but I wish the color match was better. Btw, for the install of the fog bulbs, there was no need to remove the entire light assembly - maybe that was just a 1st Gen thing. I was able to easily reach the bulbs once the wheel liner was pulled out of the way. Both sides took about 40 mins.

2010 SL, Bright Silver
#4 Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM

The H8 is primarily a fog light bulb. Unfortunately, most OE fogs are useless toys so bulb manufacturers don't make "better" (high efficacy) versions of that bulb type.

You can buy blue-tinted bulbs like the Hoens mentioned above, but don't expect them to "perform" better than a standard, clear enveloped H8. Sure, the light color will appear similar to HID light color, but it comes at a cost. Blue bulbs are dimmer than their clear counterpart (tint = filter = less amber light = dimmer), fail 3x faster and are 3x as expensive.

If you're trying to make your fog lights more useful for their intended purpose, go the Daniel Stern route by using Krylon Duplicolor yellow transparent paint and make your lights yellow. Blue or blueish fogs are a waste and defeat the intended purpose (foul weather vision).
#5 Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have two sets of standard 55W halogen H11 bulbs from previous vehicles because I changed them for Silverstar and I know they can replace the H8 (numerous links on the web) by first cutting off a small portion of one of the metallic tabs. My question is that since I have a Canadian version with factory fogs used as DRL's, can the extra wattage damage the DRL module? I don't intend to use the fogs at night unless the weather conditions are bad.

2014 Murano SL Pearl White beige leather. Nissan hood deflector, beige rubber floor mats, ss rear bumper protector. Curt hitch. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & plastic wheel covers . Chrome rear license frame. Lower a/c rad aluminium diamond mesh grille (gutter guard). Round adjustable wide angle blind spot mirror driver's side. Cargo floor protector (2 36"X55" brown carpet). Soundproofed. Cargo net. LED front parking, front doors, cargo, fogs. Bosch Icon wipers.
#6 Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 AM

I guess I'll put this project on the back burner. I don't want to risk damaging the DRL's module or melt the fog housing or wiring harness. I like to use fog lights as a sub for cornering lamps on poorly lit roads to avoid driving over obstacle or skunks (dead or alive) as there is literally no fog around here at night, only once in a blue moon in the morning just after sunrise...

2014 Murano SL Pearl White beige leather. Nissan hood deflector, beige rubber floor mats, ss rear bumper protector. Curt hitch. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & plastic wheel covers . Chrome rear license frame. Lower a/c rad aluminium diamond mesh grille (gutter guard). Round adjustable wide angle blind spot mirror driver's side. Cargo floor protector (2 36"X55" brown carpet). Soundproofed. Cargo net. LED front parking, front doors, cargo, fogs. Bosch Icon wipers.
#7 Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Anyone using high power LED bulbs like Cree 50W? I don't want to change bulbs just for the super white bluish looks to match the HID headlights that come standard on Canadian SL models...I want more useable light from the fogs if I can without going to HID. Muchas gracias!

#8 Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 AM

I installed standard halogen 55W H11 yesterday, nothing blew and of course there is more light. First I removed the black fog trim (5 tabs to push, a pain), then the fog assemblies and using cutters, I removed about 1/8" of the black plastic which prevented the H11 to fit as one of the tabs is wider than the 35W H8; I thought this was much easier than cutting off the metallic tab on the bulb and the H8 still fits properly.

Next step will be to add LED DRL's as I don't want the fogs which double as DRL's in Canada to melt the housing. For now, I'll jut leave the headlights on all the time making sure the fogs are off and I may add an indicator light because this is missing on the MO, a stupid thing IMO; I could use the blank plate on the left side of the dash which is reserved for the Lane Departure and Blind Spot Warning switch.

#9 Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 AM

The fear of leaving the fogs on and melting the housing prompted me to get H8 LED's. They don't produce more light but as DRL's they are much brighter and I must admit the coolness factor went up a few notches due to their whiteness! I think I need to aim them lower to avoid glare for incoming drivers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: