DIY Definitely Pays - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIY Definitely Pays

Thanks to this forum, I was able to buy and install the cabin air filter on my 2011 MO for under $15. I also changed the air filter. So, when I took it in yesterday for the 15K mile service, the bill was only $52. I had the oil and filter changed, 27-point inspection, tire rotation and front-end alignment. Hats off the folks at South Charlotte Nissan for comping the front-end alignment. It's the second one I've had since I bought the MO new from them. Seems there are issues with the 20-inch wheels, but they were quick to point out that I would be charged for future alignments. They didn't even try to pressure me to have the brake fluid changed. They suggested it, but I told them that I didn't think my style of driving warranted it. Overall, I'm very happy with the amount I saved by doing some of the work myself and the exceptional customer service South Charlotte Nissan provided.

2011 Murano LE
Brilliant Silver
Beige Interior
Navigation Package
Roof Rail Cross Bars
Rear Bumper Protector
Splash Guards
Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
Retractable Cargo Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Well done,
What type of alignment issues you having? Very true however, typically, alignments are only offered under warranty up to 12000 miles. It's good they took care of you.

Your Mo's just a baby yet the first real maintenance will probably be rear brakes. Besides oil changes and warranty items that was our first. Dealer wanted $190 for rear brakes only. Didn't even cover turning the rotors if needed. Literally took me 15 min in the driveway. Easiest brakes ever. Heck, with the 20s on the LE you could do it without even removing the wheels.. :-)
-A little DIY and dirty hand time can save you hundreds and garnish you valuable knowledge.

Cheers

2009 LE
#3 Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Front driver side tire was showing wear on the outer edge. The alignment diagnotics showed that this was the only wheel out of spec. Service writer led me to believe that the 20-inch wheels are much more apt to be knocked out of alignment than the SL's 19-inchers. We'll see what the next 5,000 miles shows. I don't do any off-pavement driving and I avoid potholes like the plague so I can't imagine that I hit something hard enough to knock it out of alignment. I've also read that the Toyo's are only good for about 25,000 miles. I'll be buying Michelins when these are shot.

2011 Murano LE
Brilliant Silver
Beige Interior
Navigation Package
Roof Rail Cross Bars
Rear Bumper Protector
Splash Guards
Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
Retractable Cargo Cover
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM

25K is exactly how long our 09LE OEM 20 inch Toyos lasted as well. I installed a tad wider 255/50 Yokohama Parada Spec-X's and they have been great. I just ordered another set yesterday. The Yokohamas lasted 37K and probably have a few thousand left on them etc.. Highly recommend the 255/50 size.

2009 LE
#5 Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post
25K is exactly how long our 09LE OEM 20 inch Toyos lasted as well. I installed a tad wider 255/50 Yokohama Parada Spec-X's and they have been great. I just ordered another set yesterday. The Yokohamas lasted 37K and probably have a few thousand left on them etc.. Highly recommend the 255/50 size.
Are these exactly the same diameter as the OEM Toyos? If they aren't, I would be concerned about speedometer/odometer readings.

2011 Murano LE
Brilliant Silver
Beige Interior
Navigation Package
Roof Rail Cross Bars
Rear Bumper Protector
Splash Guards
Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
Retractable Cargo Cover
#6 Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The diameter of 255/50 is very close to the OEM 235/55 and I saw no spedo difference when I had them. I got 40k on my OEM Toyos, about 50k on the Yoko (255). Now I have the Toyo Versado CUV 235/55/R20 and I think it is the best out of all three - Very quiet and excellent in the rain (which we have a lot of here in Seattle).

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#7 Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
Are these exactly the same diameter as the OEM Toyos? If they aren't, I would be concerned about speedometer/odometer readings.
That would be the least of my concerns. :-) Tire size has to be near/>1/2 inch difference in dia to cause concern on speedo accuracy etc. i would never go significantly smaller diameter either - thats where odometer numbers would really suffer - IE, more miles depicted than what's on the car.
In this case specifically with the 255/50s, you are talking a difference of "one" revolution of the tire per mile driven to the OEM. The difference is in the width - which I feel looks 100% better and gives you 100% more protection from curb rash which the OEM is basically zilch.

Hokey: 40k on the OEM 20s and 50k on the Yoko's, that's great. The "4000" degree :-) asphalt TX roads in the summer take their toll on tires....

Cheers

2009 LE
#8 Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I wonder if the cooler and wetter weather we have here actualy makes a difference on the life of tires

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#9 Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Tires on my 07 were new at 49K when I bought it, and I'm a bit over 80K miles with probably 30% tread left. Much to be said for 18's. I run 40 PSI at all times and rotate every 5K miles.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#10 Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Tires on my 07 were new at 49K when I bought it, and I'm a bit over 80K miles with probably 30% tread left. Much to be said for 18's. I run 40 PSI at all times and rotate every 5K miles.
Just curious, why 40psi?

I have no issues with a tire only lasting 35k miles. One could get 20 inch tires that last 60k yet I know I would not like the way they perform or ride. Had the new Yokohama 255/50s mounted today. They old actually had 39k miles on them and could have gone several k more if taken to the wear bars. Excellent ride/tire.

For the OP, my guess is your Mo had an alignment issue from the get-go or someone inadvertently hit a pothole/curb etc. Wife's Mo has 64k miles on it, tires have been wearing perfect and its never had an alignment. I have a Lexus and it took the dealer two times to get the alignment right - I have no idea why (they couldn't get it right the first time) yet after the second time it quit cupping tires.

Drive safe,
Cheers

2009 LE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: