MO hick ups? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MO hick ups?

Has anyone noticed any hick ups with the MO 2009 or later models?

For instance one day when I was driving back from biking with a friend we could hear this high pitch whistle noise coming from the engine, it sounded like when the AC kicks on and whatever happens in the engine starts up, and when you turn it off it shuts off. Well the whistle noise did the same thing startup, turn off, and the AC wasn't on, I could hear it over the radio at the time. Anyhow is stopped 5 minutes later and I have never heard it again.

I had one time when I took my MO to the dealer for oil change, they also changed the air filter at the same time and oil filter. This was in the summer, driving to my moms which is about 35km away on the highway in the passing lane, when I would mash the gas peddle into the floor the MO would just struggle to move, I had my brother take a look he took it for spin and even city driving the MO wouldn't hit high gear at all. After leaving the MO off for a couple of days the problem went away.

Changed brakes. I had my brakes done last summer, everything replaced. I started to notice that when I press firmly on the brake peddle and then release slightly the VDC would do nothing, normally I feel the brakes doing a gradual intense grip on the wheels...it wasn't until I turned off VDC and turned it back on did the breaks started to behave normally.

I find my 2009 doesn't run as well in the cold compared to warmer temps. So lately we have had -15 to -20c weather, even though I am parked underground its still -1c and I leave the engine warm up until the tack is between 1 and 1.1 before going, when I get out to the road it just feels like it doesn't really want to do anything. It rarely gets that cold here most winters.

If I think of anything else I will add it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed when I bought my MO it had the original tires on it which still had about half their life on them. Mich Duelers, man what a hunk of junk tires, I was noticing that winter that my slippery light on my dash coming on suggesting I am starting to lose traction. Once I installed my Yok Avid Envigar's I haven't had a problem since and the slippery light has never come on. I see the dealerships here try to sell MO owners winter tires, its mainly because the stock tires are terrible in the winter.

Fogging; if I have to open my window before going into an underground and don't close it right after my windows and mirrors fog up completely that I need to turn on defrost. I have not seen this happen before even in my previously owned cars.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Aren't Duelers made by Bridgestone? I didn't think they were OEM tires on the MO. In any case, the Dueler is not a very good tire. I've had experience with them on a Ford Explorer, and they were less than stellar.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Aren't Duelers made by Bridgestone? I didn't think they were OEM tires on the MO. In any case, the Dueler is not a very good tire. I've had experience with them on a Ford Explorer, and they were less than stellar.
Sorry you are right. It's been a year or so since I had them and I forgot who made them. Thing is if I was to buy a brand new MO I would tell the dealership to replace the tires with something else before I drive away otherwise they won't get my money!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
They will not do that (well at least my dealer wouldn't), I can tell you from experience. My MO came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires, and I asked about getting a tire change. The answer to me was they are not a tire dealer, and the tires have a separate warranty (through the tire manufacturer) than does the vehicle. I was told I would have to go to the Goodyear dealer and see if I could trade tires. At that point, the tires on the MO are considered used, and you won't get much, if anything, toward a new tire.

I've been through this with Ford, as well. So I just decided I'd run the Goodyears for the first 18,000 - 20,000 and then buy what I consider to be a better tire. That's what I have done with each and every Explorer I have owned.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smoothr,

My wife's Mo is a 2009LE that we have had since Sep of 08, but within its first year or two it developed a "whistle" sound from the engine as well. I may still have the work order yet I believe they had a replacement spacer/gasket kit for the throttle body. Once installed no more whistling.

It sounds like you may also have one of the CVT speed sensors going bad. There are several sensors on the CVT that regulate shifting as well as tell the computer/engine basically what it can/cannot do in regards to power/rpm. Some are pulling from vehicle speed data to both engine and outdoor temperature etc. My wife's Mo had two start failing on a long trip to the in laws a few years ago. At one minute it would change gears (so to speak) at 75mph and the engine would rev to like 3800rpm going down the highway.. Next it wouldn't let her accelerate past 25-30 in town. Just plain strange things like you described when attempting to drive etc.. You could shut it off and let it sit for a bit, restart and it would act normal for days. Dealer replaced two CVT sensors under warranty at the time. Zero issues since.

I would mention both to your dealer service department.

Cheers

2009 LE

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: