New MO owner, 2009 SL. Questions for current owners. - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New MO owner, 2009 SL. Questions for current owners.

Good morning!

Just purchased a 2009 and pretty happy with it. I've had a few nissans before and they all ran well, so getting a Murano for the family didn't seem like it would be something to really worry about.

What I'm curious about is the types of issues some of you have run into? What kinds of maintainence I should be doing as well, and how often to get it serviced, etc.

Any other tips or things that others have encountered while owning one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninChaos View Post
Good morning!

Just purchased a 2009 and pretty happy with it. I've had a few nissans before and they all ran well, so getting a Murano for the family didn't seem like it would be something to really worry about.

What I'm curious about is the types of issues some of you have run into? What kinds of maintainence I should be doing as well, and how often to get it serviced, etc.

Any other tips or things that others have encountered while owning one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
You should take it to a Nissan dealer for your oil changes and maintenance, they will tell you what maintenance needs to be done and when. If you take care of your MO it will take care of you.
#3 Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have to disagree with smooth. I bought my 09 used and only go to dealer to get things done under warranty, like when my transfer case was replaced. Otherwise any good reliable mechanic can do basic repairs like oil changes and brakes. Also highly recommend you read the maitenance manual in your glove box. Good luck with the MO and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on here

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#4 Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Since I bought my 2012 MO new, and the first 3 oil change/service visits were free, I decided I'm probably going to continue taking mine to the dealer. I like their new service dept. and they have been very accommodating. Prices are quite competitive, as well.

It's up to the individual on this one, and some folks like the quick change places. But having them screw up oil changes too many times in the past, I've pretty much quit going there.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#5 Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Like Halwg, we take ours to the dealer, who has been very competative with prices, and the service has been superb to date. I especially like the prices after getting mugged regularly by our Lexus service... can you believe a $145 oil change? Of course it did include tire rotation. hand wash and dry, intrior vacuum and "free" lattes.... :eek:

2012 Infiniti FX 35 Midnight Mocha
2010 Lexus GS 350 AWD Smokey Granite Mica
2009 Murano LE Silver (gone)
2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD Flint Mica (gone)
2005 Lexus RX 330 Thundercloud (gone)
2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD Flint Mica(gone)
2001 Lexus RX 300 (gone)

The Second Amendment, America's Original Homeland Security
#6 Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM

New MO owner, 2009 SL. Questions for current owners.

I agree with dealer service. If you get good service from the dealer and you're pleased with quality of service, then stick with it. I also had problems with Jiffy lube in the past. So I'm ok with taking to the dealer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#7 Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM

I used to be dealer only, but got to expensive. Was quoted $520 for the 30 k service - they were insisting on changing ALL the fluids except the coolant...go figure. I went to my local trusted mechanic - never a quickie lube place ever! It was $50 to do oil change and air filter. They checked everything else in the regular maintenance schedule and I am very happy with someone I can trust!

2010 Murano LE w/ AWD, Navigation, Weathertech Floorliners, LED DRLs, SportWing Side Moldings, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Cloud Rider Mesh Grill, NON-beeping liftgate
#8 Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
And that's the problem. Some dealers are just trying to make a quick buck. I pay $29.00. That includes oil change, tire rotation, check and top off all fluids, and then the normal checks...belts, hoses, brakes, ect.

I know they are doing this because in their new shop, the waiting area has a huge glass wall that looks into the service bays. I watch them put my car on the rack, change the oil and do the tire rotation and inspections. I'm pretty pleased with this.

In the quick lube places, there is some guy down in a pit doing lord knows what to your car. And that cost was $10 more than at the dealer.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#9 Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would never use a quickie lube place. I'm talking about a mechanic with a shop you can trust. Especially when you buy a used car 4 years old already. Some dealers are better than others but I use them mostly for warranty work. Or if something programmed with the computer that only the dealer can do. What I pay my mechanic for Mobil 1 oil change, air and cabin filters, brakes and tire rotations would cost me 3x the amount at a dealer.

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weather techs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#10 Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM

I took my Murano to the dealer only for warranty work. Now I drive a Maxima and the dealer does everything. I'm still getting used to free oil changes at 3500 miles and tire rotations at 7k miles.

I changed the oil on all my vehicles so I could put eyes on the cars' undercarriage and know what was potentially going bad before I got surprised by the dealer.

Ironically though, whenever I had to use a jiffy lube or other quick change place I never had a problem. Although I have personally witnessed some of the horror stories others have experienced.

2010 LE AWD Black, 36,521 miles: SOLD - Thule bike rack - foglights - navigation - stainless rear bumper guard - Bose stereo w/9 gig musicbox - lighted doorsills - hood protector - power liftgate - heated power folding rear seats - backup camera - Bluetooth - push button start - tinted windows - dual sunroof - iPod hookup - SiriusXM radio - cargo cover ... more to come. Also in the stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser, showcar, donut maker.

Last edited by MaxGig; 02-01-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: