Auto headlight retrofit on S model - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Auto headlight retrofit on S model

I'm in the process of retrofitting foglights to my 2012 model S. I've got the turn signal stalk from an SV (Nissan P# 25560-JV51A for anyone interested). The stalk also has the "AUTO" setting for the headlamps that I'd like to get working as well.

After checking out the service manual pretty extensively, it looks like the Auto Headlamp option is doable. I bought the optical sensor that is required for the empty position on the passenger side dash (28576-1HH0A). Whether the BCM needs programming or not is still up for debate, as no one here has reported back after attempting this install. I'll worry about that later though.

Here's where I need a little help. I removed my glovebox to access the wiring in the back. I did not see an empty connector in the area around the sensor. So I put everything back together and went back to the manual. The wiring diagram shows the sensor connector piggybacking along the line for the passenger front "squawker" dash speaker, and down to the yellow connector shown in my photo.

Can anyone with the Auto headlamps verify this with some photos? I'd be willing to buy you a case of beer via paypal for helping out. You'll need a T15 torx and 30 minutes to remove and reassemble the glovebox. PM me if interested, and we can discuss details.

Worst case, I can run my own wires to the correct BCM terminals, but if the connector is taped up somewhere that I missed, I'd rather go that route and avoid taking the dash apart.

Thanks

Here's a photo of the yellow connecter behind the glovebox I believe the optical sensor's wiring originates from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Wow, that is quite an upgrade. I'll be watching this thread to see how it all turns out.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#3 Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I'll take positive comments any day over "why didn't you buy an LE" or "just turn your headlights on yourself" that usually gets thrown around this forum. (not referring to you btw.)

I put together a quick how-to of the roof rack install on an S a couple of months back. Hoping to do the same for this to help some others out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Wow, that is quite an upgrade. I'll be watching this thread to see how it all turns out.
#4 Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I'm always interested in these upgrades and what it takes to accomplish them. You have to think that most of the hardware is in place in these vehicles, and it probably boils down to a few parts and pieces to make missing things work. I guess it just takes a bit of persistence and ingenuity to get it done. Good luck

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#5 Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM

You are absolutely right. Nissans especially these days, share many components across platforms too. Their engines being a prime example.

With the foglight retrofit for example, the turn signal stalk is shared with a Murano, Cube, and a couple of other cars. The foglights themselves are the same part number as the Versa, and Infiniti FX. Optical sensor is used on the Cube, and some Infiniti cars.

The electronic programming isn't much different. Most of the electronics use Canbus communication these days. Generally speaking, each car has its own main harness, with sub harnesses based on options or packages (SL, LE model). This allows them to use one program (in theory), and just turn on or off certain options. If a switch (option) is present, and signal is given, the computer follows through on the command, based on logic and certain conditions.

I enjoy the 'scavenger hunt' of getting things working that weren't from the factory. The wiring isn't always there, however, and that's where things get tricky.

I'll update this thread as I learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
I'm always interested in these upgrades and what it takes to accomplish them. You have to think that most of the hardware is in place in these vehicles, and it probably boils down to a few parts and pieces to make missing things work. I guess it just takes a bit of persistence and ingenuity to get it done. Good luck
#6 Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't you need the Sensor for Auto headlights to turn On and Off?
#7 Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Yes. I have it and gave the part number in my first post for anyone interested.

My problem is trying to determine if the wiring connector for it is taped up behind the dash or not. I don't see it, but there's an awful lot of black insulating tape around the wires. I later found out from the service manual that the wiring for it is 'possibly' bundled with the front dash speaker. I say 'possibly' because the service manual doesn't distinguish between S, SV, SL, LE models.

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block8head View Post
Don't you need the Sensor for Auto headlights to turn On and Off?
#8 Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

I am definitely tuning into this thread. I attempted this very same retrofit but gave up after I was unable to find the harness for the light sensor. Please post your results and wish you the best of luck.
#9 Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks. Actually, life got in the way a bit and I had to shelve the project for the time being. I did learn that the yellow harness pictured above (or any yellow harness in this car) is related to the air bags, so this was a dead end. Without taking apart the dash, I don't think there is access to the optical sensor harness, if there even is one on this model.

I do have the wiring diagram for the optical sensor to the BCM. It's (3) wires, and looks pretty straightforward. You could easily run your own wires to it, and presumably get the coding done, and that should be it. Someone on the Titan forums supposedly did this and had success.

That seems to be the next step when I pick this up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joby619 View Post
I am definitely tuning into this thread. I attempted this very same retrofit but gave up after I was unable to find the harness for the light sensor. Please post your results and wish you the best of luck.
#10 Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 PM

eEighty8, I have read on other posts that the wiring harness for the optical sensor in on the drivers side and the second hole on the dash (the one next to the red light that blinks, the alarm I am assuming) is where the sensor goes. I would be interested if this is true, as I too am going to attempt to install fog lights on my 2012 S with the auto light stalk and sensor also.
#11 Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

I don't think so. I believe that's the sensor that controls the dash lighting. Nissan's parts breakout drawings aren't too clear on it though. I used the service manual to find the location for the optical sensor. I guess it's possible that the harness is there, just taped up on the driver's side.

Give it a shot though, and let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggie View Post
eEighty8, I have read on other posts that the wiring harness for the optical sensor in on the drivers side and the second hole on the dash (the one next to the red light that blinks, the alarm I am assuming) is where the sensor goes. I would be interested if this is true, as I too am going to attempt to install fog lights on my 2012 S with the auto light stalk and sensor also.
#12 Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eEighty8 View Post
I don't think so. I believe that's the sensor that controls the dash lighting. Nissan's parts breakout drawings aren't too clear on it though. I used the service manual to find the location for the optical sensor. I guess it's possible that the harness is there, just taped up on the driver's side.

Give it a shot though, and let us know how it goes.
Actually, I think the sensor is for the the climate control system (the one on the drivers side). I think I read this in the service manual but its been a while so I could be wrong. Back in the day some manufacturers used the same sensor for both the auto lights and the climate control system. The Murano I believe uses two different sensors.

2010 Murano SL AWD
#13 Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM

The service manual calls it a "sun sensor" or something like that. So you might be right. You might already know this, but the temp sensor for the CC is near the driver's side knee panel, and is something completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
Actually, I think the sensor is for the the climate control system (the one on the drivers side). I think I read this in the service manual but its been a while so I could be wrong. Back in the day some manufacturers used the same sensor for both the auto lights and the climate control system. The Murano I believe uses two different sensors.
#14 Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM

I was looking on a parts website that had a drawing of the parts, and the one on the passenger side was called the sunlight sensor, the one on the drivers side was the light (or maybe optical) sensor. I looked up sunlight sensor, and the site said it was for the climate control. Since I have a 2012 S I have neither installed in my car. It does appear that the one on the drivers side in the one needed for auto headlights. It would make "sense" since it is about $110.00 and the sunlight sensor is only 30 or so dollars. On a completely unrelated note, if you install foglights, do you have to replace the front bumper bezel (the black knockout piece) with one designed for foglights for the installation to look decent? They are about $37.00 per side.
#15 Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 AM

The parts diagram is not correct, at least according to the factory service manual.

Refer to EXL-14 for location of the optical sensor.

Refer to EXL-72 for the BCM wiring diagram, showing optical sensor connector as M17 (main harness). The pinouts to the BCM are on there too, which is helpful if you will run your own wires.

Refer to PG-96 for main harness connector callouts. It shows M17 as the passenger side dash location.

And yes, you will need the bezels. I'm not sure if the existing will fit or not over the light, but you probably don't want to do that. The horizontal slat will definitely block the fog light beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggie View Post
I was looking on a parts website that had a drawing of the parts, and the one on the passenger side was called the sunlight sensor, the one on the drivers side was the light (or maybe optical) sensor. I looked up sunlight sensor, and the site said it was for the climate control. Since I have a 2012 S I have neither installed in my car. It does appear that the one on the drivers side in the one needed for auto headlights. It would make "sense" since it is about $110.00 and the sunlight sensor is only 30 or so dollars. On a completely unrelated note, if you install foglights, do you have to replace the front bumper bezel (the black knockout piece) with one designed for foglights for the installation to look decent? They are about $37.00 per side.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: