2009 Murano Head Gasket Leads to Oil Sludge and No Warranty Coverage - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#16 Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
KtG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your wife will find a way to murder a helpless Toyota, too. I've seen what happens to a Murano that is low on coolant (ruptured lower hose). It yells at you and goes into a limp mode. Damned obvious, barely runs. Customer limped that vehicle in ~10 miles, and it has been fine the last 2 years. No sludge issues on cheap Mobil Clean5000.

I love folks that lawyer up over their own mistakes. Spineless clowns. YOU killed that motor. Own up to it and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM

Re: 2009 Murano Head Gasket Leads to Oil Sludge and No Warranty Coverage

What did i say earlier? Yes it's my fault. I am only requesting compensation for the blown head gasket that it has and is obviously a defect. I don't need, and didn't ask for your condensending sarcasm.
#18 Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Garage
I still dont understand why Nissan would still deny headgasket service? Is the motor totally shot? I understand if it was totally shot but if there isnt significant wear (which i do believe could be identified during headgasket replacement) why would they deny the replacement.
#19 Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Dealer calls the engine shot...runs great...no noise. Only sludge build up inside the engine. Btw, sludge is caked, shiney, soft edges and soft. This doesn't indicate running the engine too long without changing oil. If that were the case, the oil would be hard, dry, dull and sharp edges. Again, oil analysis states nothing wrong with the oil. Possible root cause is head gasket blew, caused engine to run hot. This caused oil to thicken, plug pcv and crankcase breather further exasperating the condition. Oil experts state from initial failure (head gasket blew) to caked sludge could have occurred in less than 1000 miles.

Back to my original questions. Has anyone seen this before.....and how to get Nissan to perform root failure analysis.
#20 Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM

One last note....dealer did not provide the info on the head gasket failure to Nissan warranty until after denial of claim was established. Nissan would not consider changing decision even after we presented oil analysis results and brought head gasket failure to their attention.
#21 Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Garage
Nissan Consumer Affairs - I would call them. (Although you may fight with them as well) just do a search on here for their number
#22 Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydude View Post
One last note....dealer did not provide the info on the head gasket failure to Nissan warranty until after denial of claim was established. Nissan would not consider changing decision even after we presented oil analysis results and brought head gasket failure to their attention.
Well, I will ask again... Have you contacted Nissan Customer Service. Have you talked to the Nissan Regional rep?

You really shot yourself in the foot telling the dealership you perform oil changes every 9-13,000 miles. Oil changes at that interval also would go hand in hand that you did nada, never opened the hood, etc for months and months until that 9-13 thousand was reached.

eeeee
#23 Old 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
PLEASE CALL NISSAN CONSUMER AFFAIRS. I have had great success with them. Give up on the dealer, but don't give up on Nissan Corp. Ask for Supervisior until you get to the top. If they still deny you there, tell them you will be filing a complaint with the BBB. AND THEN DO SO. Trust me. It worked for me. Once Nissan got the complaint from the BBB, they bent over backwards to get me what I wanted and they picked up the bill for all of it..

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#24 Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtG View Post
Also, Amsoil is half a joke. Changing the oil isn't hard, so why pay more to do it less often? Regular oil changes are cheap insurance.
I completely agree that regular changes are cheap insurance and a great investment.

I disagree (possibly just a quibble with an implication I perceive) that Amsoil is a joke, any more than Mobil 1, Redline or any other motor oil is a joke. It's one of the highest-quality synthetic motor oils and lubes on the market, and will perform at least as well as Mobil 1. Of course it needs to be changed at appropriate intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
Well, I will ask again... Have you contacted Nissan Customer Service. Have you talked to the Nissan Regional rep?

You really shot yourself in the foot telling the dealership you perform oil changes every 9-13,000 miles. Oil changes at that interval also would go hand in hand that you did nada, never opened the hood, etc for months and months until that 9-13 thousand was reached.
I agree with all of this. You certainly want to avoid giving any indication that you didn't perform required services at the intervals required by the manufacturer. A failure to change oil and filter at the recommended intervals is grounds for denial of warranty coverage. I think Bill is correct that this also implies a possible lack of general maintenance which the manufacturer will probably perceive.

Number one thing to do with any car under warranty is to follow or do better than the service intervals recommended by the manufacturer. If they require 7500 mile oil changes, absolutely follow that or do even better, regardless of your personal opinion as to whether it is necessary.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#25 Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks. And yes, i did shoot myself in the foot. I did contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and they were the ones that denied the claim. I had the issue escalated to the area rep's supv and the rep had the balls to pull the claim back....(he actually told me this). Found out later he no longer works for Nissan. Then i fax copies of oil analysis to them, they review the case again, and call me saying i didn't provide any additional info so the claim is denied. I receive denial letter today....(after 4 weeks) and it was signed 4 days ago by the guy that hasn't worked for Nissan in 2 weeks. Gotta love their organization. Well....BBB here we come.
#26 Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM

Sorry to hear this, as IMO Nissans are great cars and all the service dealers in my area are A+ (Service! Sales are still a constant fight for me to get the best price! dealer v dealer yay!... anywho)

I live within a 15min drive of 3 Nissan Dealers, 6 if I expand that to 30min drive :-) so I think there is a lot of pressure for their service departments to be top notch for retainment of customers.

My dealer informed my of the head gasket thing "Its a 'common' problem on the 3.5L V6s that 'we have been told to look for at EVERY service' for all 3.5L equiped cars." Mine started with some "crusty" aka burned seepage barely evedent at about 32k miles and was monitored... I was put on a list as they slated it to take "1 week" to finish and they are just rotating all their clients to get the service done- they said it was covered fully by the standard 5 year powertrain coverage and that even the slight crusty ring 'round the headers is sufficiant for them to do a full replacement. They told me they will keep mine under close watch incase they need to bump up its priority. They "said but didnt say" they are makeing this a standard repair that they try and do as close to the end of powertrain coverage as they can to extend the overall life of the repair etc.

I am very dissapointed that Nissan is useing oil change interval as an excuse, I have had high expectations after the stand up thing Nissan of America did with the extension of the CVT coverage and hwo they even mailed people checks who has them replaced under the new coverage etc. In terms of customer service there is ALWAYS a higher up, and sometimes you will have to get your dealer to do the *****ing to corporate for you. I would write up the BBB complaint, have it and take it to the dealer and not threaten but say that this is what you are going to submit and is there anything they can do to try one last effort etc etc- even if you think your done with efforts ;-)

I had my dealer do oil changes every 7500, the longest in the "book" and I used their full synthetic at every oil change.
#27 Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadion View Post
I had my dealer do oil changes every 7500, the longest in the "book" and I used their full synthetic at every oil change.
You're exactly right, 7.5K is the LONGEST oil change interval Nissan specifically spells out for our Mos. At the risk of piling on to what others here have already stated, the OP was remiss in stretching that interval to 9-13K - whether it has anything to do with his head gasket issue or not. As for lying about when he changed his oil, whatever proof (ie receipts or log book) given, would corroborate that he did not follow the manufacturers recommendation.

I may be old school, but I think that 9-13K change intervals on any car with any oil (yes, even Amsoil) is crazy. I know I cringe (actually, chuckle) every time I start up my 335xi - with its 300HP, twin turbo engine - and the electronic maintenance reminder informs me I still have 17K left on the oil I changed 3K miles ago! At the risk of throwing away a few dollars, I'll be changing it (again) at my usual 6-7K - as I always do with my Mo as well.
#28 Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Well, when people now a day's talk about oil changes, engine oil...... I always ask when was the last time you saw a car's engine die from an oil failure related issue. No one can ever give me a recent event that could be proven that it was related to oil / oil change intervals.

No, I am not defending the person who does not change oil, long oil change intervals and such.

eeeee
#29 Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
Well, when people now a day's talk about oil changes, engine oil...... I always ask when was the last time you saw a car's engine die from an oil failure related issue. No one can ever give me a recent event that could be proven that it was related to oil / oil change intervals.

No, I am not defending the person who does not change oil, long oil change intervals and such.

In Nissan's defense, it very well COULD have been the cause of the head gasket problem this thread is about.
#30 Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
In Nissan's defense, it very well COULD have been the cause of the head gasket problem this thread is about.
You think "oil" failure caused this issue.. Nope...

eeeee

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: