Nissan Murano Forum banner

2009 Nissan Murano Reliability Question

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking at possibly purchasing a used 2009 Nissan Murano with 110k miles. It is a one owner and has a clean CarFax, etc. My wife wants a Murano, but on our budget I can only afford one with 100k miles.

My main concern is the reliability. From what I can tell from reviews and what not, such as JDPowers etc, the 2009 is quite reliable. I was considering getting a 2007 with less miles, but from viewing the 07 forums, it seems people are having tons of problems with their 07 Muranos, specifically with the transmissions. I want to get a vehicle that is going to last, as we usually drive our vehicles for many years.

Does anyone have any input from experience on if the 09 Murano is more reliable than the 07? Would the Nissan Rogue be a reliable option instead?

#2 ·
Hi - I bought my pre-owned and lightly used Murano about 1-year ago now (if I remember correctly). It had around 80km on it and it's now around 115k and I have not had any problems with it mechanically.

Some issues with the seat not returning to the correct position, but it's been talked about here. The only odd thing I've noticed is that the car squeaks first thing in the morning as I roll out of the garage and head down the driveway onto the main street and brakes squeak every now and then. My mechanic checked the brakes and found no problems with them.

I took it to Nissan for oil changes but they are a bit too expensive, and there is always something new that they want me to do. I checked with my mechanic and he does recommend a few things but not everything and certainly not everything through them.

I changed my air filter myself about 3-4 months ago and it was filthy. Dealership wanted a fortune for this, did it myself - was a bit of a pain but saved quite a bit.

Overall I am really, really happy with the Murano. I wanted to buy this car several years ago but we ended up going to a 4-door sedan instead. I don't think I'll ever go back to a sedan and will always stick to a crossover/SUV and more than likely I'll stick with Nissan as I've been very happy with this car.

I'm looking to buy my wife a new car in about a year or so and will probably look at the Nissan Juke.

#3 ·
Changing cabin and air filters is a very basic way to save $$ and there's no reason not to do it yourself.

Brake squeak in the AM from the Murano doesn't bother me and never has. Mine does it occasionally in reverse, and I don't care.

#6 ·
If choosing a 2009 murano try to avoid the very early production models (mid 2008-early 2009)
Have the engine checked for any coolant leaks. This would look like dry crusty greenish build up that could be visible looking up at the engine from under the car.
Check the transfer case for any signs of leaks. And fluid level inside.
Try to listen for a thump or a knock from the front end when driving from. Full stop or over bumps. This may be a sign of cracked or worn motor mounts.

These are the major issues I've had with my early 2009 (mid 2008 production) so far and from my own research they seem to be more common than other issues.

I have to admit that when I did face expensive repairs (mainly the transfer case cost me about $5000) I was in the market again for an alternative SUV. And after test driving 4 different options (Lexus rx had reliability but no style /infinity fx had better handling and style but no freaking interior space!/ Toyota venza...it's a venza. / Mitsubishi endeavor, that was a short test drive..) I happily returned to my Mo. Overall it's the best SUV for my needs. I only regret not buying a younger model.

#7 ·
Check the transfer case for leaks. They all do it eventually and you'll spend $5000 to have it replaced. Rear window is very small for visibility & there are multiple blind spots driving the car. Windshield wipers sit in a well and in the winter time the wipers are always frozen. The all wheel drive function is a mystery that even Nissan dealers cant really tell you how & if it works. On a scale of 1to 10 I give the Murano a 4. Look for something else more reliable.

#8 ·
I’ve had my 2009 for 2 years now. It has 180,000 miles. I took it for a oil change a few weeks ago and was told I need a new FRONT LEFT CONTROL ARM. (It’s a safety issue) and I’m due for a new sticker at the end of the month and this morning it started overheating. Lately my hatch back door will not open with any bottons on manually and my left back door makes this Loud buzz when I lock the doors. This is all in the last few months. So all of a sudden I have a a bunch of issues to deal with. I have replaced other things but I can’t remember what. Otherwise I love my car.

#9 ·
I bought 09 Murano from a friend and she was at lease the second owner. I've had it for about two years now and it has about 180,000 miles. My commute is 70 miles each day. So far my TPMS light is on and can't get it to stay off. Fuel lever sensor is bad and just replaced the alternator at $1,400.00. I l love this car, best ride I've ever had, most bells and whistles and it holds three car seats in the backseat when I have my grandbabies. Easy and nice to drive and has the power I want with the 3.5 engine. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!

#10 ·
You need to have the codes read and determine what's not working right. You probably have one or more tire pressure sensors which have dead batteries, but that's just a guess. You can live with a fuel gauge problem by keeping it topped up. Have a shop change the transmission fluid if you haven't done so.

Glad it's driving well for you, and I hope it holds up.