Nissan Murano Forum banner

Leaking Convertible Top

13K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  loveandrage 
#1 ·
:crying: I found out yesterday after months of issues with my top that my roof has been leaking around the base of the trunk cover and has corroded the motor for the convertible top. You have to buy a new motor with a new top for a hefty price of $15,000! My car is used 2011, has 45,000 miles, $8700 loan and Kelley Blue Book is $21,000 with Excellent condition. Unfortunately isn't worth a dime today because I don't hve 15K to fix it and I can't sell it because no one else is going to be able to fix it. I have googled this issue and there is nothing about this happening to anyone else. Of course I didn't buy an extended warranty. My only option is to trade it in, take a huge hit, and let a dealership replace it for 1/2 the cost and resell it and make $5000 on it.

I'm so disappointed. I LOVED my car and I got so many compliments on it. Everyone loved and I felt very special in it.

Someone said to call Nissan's customer service and see if there is anything they can do. I'm not sure it is worth a call because anything over $2000 is more than I can pay or would be willing to at this point. Anyone else have any suggsetions?

#2 ·
Try any call you can. "If you don't ask, you don't get."

And I flat don't believe the prices you quoted. You need to talk with a couple of body shops, not a dealer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it will pay you to check alternatives. I can't believe the top must be replaced with the motor.

#3 ·
There are many many places to get replacement motors and or get the motor repaired if so. I also find it hard to believe the price they quoted that is criminal. Like pilgrim said find another independent shop to check it out. Have you checked with your insurance company on this as well? You can buy extended service contracts for any vehicle up to 10 years old with 120k miles for around 2-3K depending on variables.

#4 ·
just got my CC back after being at the dealership for almost 6 weeks. the top would not move. at a very slow pace they replaced the entire top, the complete hydraulic system, and the electronic controller. all under warranty. i researched the prices for this. the complete top was about $13,000. the complete hydraulic system( the only way corporate nissan will repair any of it) $2,700. according to the dealer the pump motor was the only bad part. the top needed to be in the down position to replace it. they could not get the top down manually so corporate nissan authorized them to destroy the top($13,000) to get it down so they could replace the entire hydraulic system because the pump motor was bad. total bill for them was about $25,000. when i got the car back it still didnt work everytime. after lubricating the storage door linkage it works perfect. in my talks to customer care i raised a lot of hell with them. they sent me a $400.00 check to cover that months car payment. it cant hurt to call and aggressively express your disappointment.

#5 ·
I'm not sure what your point is...other than pointing out slow service. I agree, that was a bummer!

They did the work, albeit slowly. The made your car payment as well. It was a frustrating process, but you came out of it with a new top, a new hydraulic system and a car payment you didn't have to make. The only real complaint I can see that you have is slow service.

I do hope they provided a loaner car while they had yours, as the time involved is lengthy enough that it would have been unreasonable to as you to provide your own substitute for that period.

#6 ·
My factory warranty expires the end of sept. and am seriously considering factory extended warranty if it covers the convertible top mechanism in it after seeing the cost associated with these things.

#7 ·
Not a bad idea if you really feel uncomfortable about it, but read the warranty carefully and make darn sure the top is covered. I wouldn't be surprised if most plans (they're actually insurance policies) left out at least the top material, even if they cover the mechanical assembly.

#8 ·
I just purchased an extended warranty policy today through my local Nissan dealer, got a 6 year 100K mile warranty "car only has 22K miles on it now so I added 6 years and 78K miles to its warranty life"with a disappearing deductible which means as long as I take it into my local Nissan dealer for repairs there is no deductible for anything at all but if taken to another dealer it is capped at $100. Was $2190 for the policy, car goes off its factory warranty in 2 weeks. Reason I got it is because stories like this. Plus since the car is higher end with electronic gadgets up the hiney it made for an easy decision. The warranty Co is CNA national, dealer says they cover more than even the factory warranty does which after looking over the list does cover a lot of what OEM would consider normal wear items. All Convertible top components except for fabric are included in coverage plus it has other perks included with the package. It is a pro rated policy as well so I can get money back if I get rid of the car before end of contract. Time will tell but to me it was cheap insurance as compared to a $20K+ convertible top assembly.

Reactions: CrossCabLover
#9 ·
"All Convertible top components except for fabric are included in coverage plus it has other perks included with the package."

Seriously - you're saying that replacing the top is $20,000???? That doesn't sound right. ("...a $20K+ convertible top assembly.")

Most convertible top fabrics can be done in the $2000 - under range. If "Assembly" means the mechanical mechanism, that's more $, but I can't believe $20K for the top and mechanicals.

#10 ·
There have been 2-3 threads and posts started here lately and all have one # in common and that is the $12-15 K for the parts alone and then with labor included to replace it puts it in the $20K range.

#11 ·
Hate to say it, but that alone is a compelling reason against buying a convertible. When replacing the top assembly costs half as much as the new vehicle, something's out of whack.

And doggone it, I like convertibles!

Maybe the CC is "special." I've never heard of an entire top mechanism being replaced on a convertible as part of warranty (other than here), but I haven't made it a habit to search for related stories.

#12 ·
Either way @ $2100 for another 6 years and 78K miles of piece of mind for complete full warranty with zero deductible for a lot of items that OEM considers normal wear items I am at peace with my decision considering what all else can go wrong with electronics ect. Heck I had the rak and pinion replaced last year with only 14K on the car due to a leaky seal that they said was not serviceable separately, that alone would have paid for the warranty.

#13 ·
Ha ha, Finance guy called me to finalize the warranty contract after I called him with the exact mileage and he said they just had a managers meeting and went over warranty claims and he had to laugh as I was just in the day before putting an extended warranty on primarily for the convertible and low and behold he said they just had a claim filed at the dealer with this same ext warranty co and had a $3500 convertible top pump and motor replaced under this same contract on a different brand of car they sell, wanted to let me know they covered it no questions asked but the timing made him chuckle and realize my fears were real with the exact $# I told him from what I have read.

#14 ·
hey pilgrim is it necessary to imply someone is lying or stupid every time you post?

my point was to let people know that contacting customer support can be helpful. and that these prices are accurate.

im not saying that the top always needs to be replaced when the pump motor is bad. for some reason on my car they could not get it lowered which is needed to replace the hydraulic system.

#17 ·
I was quoted $2500 for 24 months coverage on 2011 Cross Cab. from Nissan. With top replacement 10-15K mainly for piece of mind.
Go back to my post #8 in this thread all details there. My local Nissan dealer would not even recommend Nissans extended warranty over the other companies coverage and price.

#18 ·
:crying: I found out yesterday after months of issues with my top that my roof has been leaking around the base of the trunk cover and has corroded the motor for the convertible top. You have to buy a new motor with a new top for a hefty price of $15,000! My car is used 2011, has 45,000 miles, $8700 loan and Kelley Blue Book is $21,000 with Excellent condition. Unfortunately isn't worth a dime today because I don't hve 15K to fix it and I can't sell it because no one else is going to be able to fix it. I have googled this issue and there is nothing about this happening to anyone else. Of course I didn't buy an extended warranty. My only option is to trade it in, take a huge hit, and let a dealership replace it for 1/2 the cost and resell it and make $5000 on it.

I'm so disappointed. I LOVED my car and I got so many compliments on it. Everyone loved and I felt very special in it.

Someone said to call Nissan's customer service and see if there is anything they can do. I'm not sure it is worth a call because anything over $2000 is more than I can pay or would be willing to at this point. Anyone else have any suggset
First start by fixing the actual leak if you don’t do that youll just have the same problem again with the new motor but you have to fix the actual leak first You can Google the motor for half the cost of what the deal is trying to charge you nine times out of 10 I bet that motor is a simple plug and play But if you don’t get the leak fixed you’ll have the same problem all over again With the new motor Good luck

#21 ·
My 2012 Nissan CC top was giving my problems. Not opening properly. I was told by several Nissan dealerships and convertible shops that they don't work on the Nissan CC tops. But I did find a dealership in Marietta, Ga that was qualified to work on the tops. When I picked up my SUV the top opened and closed properly, but whatever they did they created a leak. They claim the leak is from the skylight, but the water streams in on both sides behind the back headrest. They 1st stated my vehicle was in great shape. When I took it back to complain about the leak. They claimed it was old and wore out and I needed a new top ($16,000). I have witness that my top has never leaked. I told them thatI could see that the wings were not sitting properly. I've contacted the Dealership's main office and Nissan Corp. with no response. This has been going on for over a year. Now I have black mold and it is toxic, so I'm unable to drive it. I now have an attorney working on my case. This experience has been a nightmare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.