2015 MO with Panoramic Roof / Cross Rails Question? - Page 7 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #91 of 108 Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega28 View Post
Due to excessive wind noise. Go figure, and I think it only applies if you have a panoramic roof.
Yea it howls with my snowboards loaded on a ski rack. With only glass and a thin piece of cloth separating, you can hear everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serega28 View Post
I don't think you can have cross bars installed from the factory, I believe it is a dealer installed option, so it is your dealer mechanics that stripped those bolts. Did you get those covers when you got your Murano originally? They might be sitting somewhere inside your vehicle. I don't have crossbars installed on my Murano, but I think is you have those covers they should cover most of the gaps. Good luck.
Duh... dealer installed accessory I knew that.

I did find the cover pieces in the compartment where the spare tire is.

2016 SL FWD Cayenne Red
Roof rack cross bars
Illuminated door sills
Nissan all weather mats
Husky cargo liner
6000k HID kit
post #93 of 108 Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
But I also thought they had some more engineering to do. Basically they released the car before they figured out the cross rails. I also believe dealerships made that up to buy time.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 108 Old 07-21-2016, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 2015 Murano SL with the MoonRoof and am hoping that someone has better news to share on a roof rack cross bars solution than these earlier 2015 posts. I would really appreciate the help. I'm dying to purchase a kayak but need a crossbar solution.
post #95 of 108 Old 07-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheidger View Post
I have the 2015 Murano SL with the MoonRoof and am hoping that someone has better news to share on a roof rack cross bars solution than these earlier 2015 posts. I would really appreciate the help. I'm dying to purchase a kayak but need a crossbar solution.
So what solution are you looking for?
There is no problem getting cross bars installed on your Murano and you won't have any issues operating your moonroof. So if you don't mind a little wind noise, buy the crossbars and have them installed somewhere else other than your dealer, to save some $$$. Good luck.
post #96 of 108 Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have 2016 Platinum and I'm currently getting the rails installed at the dealership. From what they told me, Nissan won't include them as a standard option when buying a tech package version of the car as they don't want to be held responsible if you drop a kayak through the glass roof... After that, if you want to pay the dealer separately to put them in, it seems they are happy to do so. Once the install work is done, and provided you keep the rail cover pieces, then I am told that they are relatively easy for your average user to put on and take off. I'm hoping that's true. If so, I'll leave them on for a while to assess the wind noise factor, and if it's a problem, then the plan is to take them off. Only need them a few times a year for skiing / vacations so seems an acceptable compromise for a little wind noise.
post #97 of 108 Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
I have 2016 Platinum and I'm currently getting the rails installed at the dealership. From what they told me, Nissan won't include them as a standard option when buying a tech package version of the car as they don't want to be held responsible if you drop a kayak through the glass roof... After that, if you want to pay the dealer separately to put them in, it seems they are happy to do so. Once the install work is done, and provided you keep the rail cover pieces, then I am told that they are relatively easy for your average user to put on and take off. I'm hoping that's true. If so, I'll leave them on for a while to assess the wind noise factor, and if it's a problem, then the plan is to take them off. Only need them a few times a year for skiing / vacations so seems an acceptable compromise for a little wind noise.
Any follow-up here, McDuff? Have you had an opportunity to take them on and off yourself? I was planning to do the same. Only put them on when I need them if the noise becomes an issue. That is, of course, if I can get my dealership to play ball.
post #98 of 108 Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Second season for me with the factory cross rails, no issues taking them off end of last season or putting them on this (once your past initial initial cutting plastic BS when car is new), but the bolts are soft and I did almost strip a head, this year I picked up some replacement bolts and now using an impact driver to put them in and take out...much smoother that way

--------------
RVelle

Now in my driveway:
'15 Murano Plat AWD w/ Tech Package (Pearl White, Int: Cashmere)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded In:
'12 Murano SL AWD (Pearl White, Int: Beige)

Nissan Graveyard (Oct 2012):
'10 Murano SL AWD (Tinted Bronze, Int: Beige)
Premium, Leather, 360 Packages
post #99 of 108 Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM

I've had the rails on the car since October at this point. Haven't gotten around to taking them off - will probably wait for spring now before doing so. Wind noise is not excessive so doesn't bother me. All in all, no complaints.

@ RVelle: what kind of replacement bolts did you use? Any specific size / material? Thanks.
post #100 of 108 Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
@ RVelle: what kind of replacement bolts did you use? Any specific size / material? Thanks.
I brought a bolt to the hardware store and matched up the threads and length...went stainless steel, outside of that nothing special just didn't want any bolts to get worse and get stuck due to the heads stripping

--------------
RVelle

Now in my driveway:
'15 Murano Plat AWD w/ Tech Package (Pearl White, Int: Cashmere)

Traded In:
'12 Murano SL AWD (Pearl White, Int: Beige)

Nissan Graveyard (Oct 2012):
'10 Murano SL AWD (Tinted Bronze, Int: Beige)
Premium, Leather, 360 Packages
post #101 of 108 Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Update now that the rails are removed: Was going to do it myself but there were a couple of bolts that got stripped when they did the install so had Nissan take them off - which they were fine to do on the house. The non-stripped bolts came out pretty easy, so if you have an impact driver or other drill with decent torque, this is definitely something you can do in 5 minutes. I agree with Rvelle that the screws are too soft and strip easily. Bought some extras from Nissan and am going to have to be careful. Will consider getting some stainless steel or even titanium bolts if I can find some... That aside, pleased to report that wind noise is nicely reduced with the bars off. Also though I haven't driven enough to really measure it, it seems like fuel economy has improved. On that basis, I think it's a good idea to take them off when they are not being used on a regular basis.
post #102 of 108 Old 03-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just got the run-around again a few weeks ago from my dealer's service people. I even showed them this post. "Crossbars are not listed on the accessories list for the 15 Murano.", I was told by the service guy. Didn't matter what I showed them/told them.

I finally stopped by another dealership. First I went to the parts department and asked them to look the crossbars up. What do you know....they found them right away. Then the service manager assured me they could do it. Parts were ordered and installation was scheduled. A week later it was done after a hiccup (installed them in the two forward slots only a foot apart). I have been so happy as I have had more than a few regrets after buying this 2015 (crossbars, ruining of the CVT with simulated gear changes to name a few). I feel like my car is whole now that I can use my x-cargo carrier. I have my first road trip planned where I will test the wind noise without the carrier. If it turns out to be an issue I will take them off and install them only when I need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossbars_2b.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	39409  
darrick04 likes this.
post #103 of 108 Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pez View Post
I just got the run-around again a few weeks ago from my dealer's service people. I even showed them this post. "Crossbars are not listed on the accessories list for the 15 Murano.", I was told by the service guy. Didn't matter what I showed them/told them.

I finally stopped by another dealership. First I went to the parts department and asked them to look the crossbars up. What do you know....they found them right away. Then the service manager assured me they could do it. Parts were ordered and installation was scheduled. A week later it was done after a hiccup (installed them in the two forward slots only a foot apart). I have been so happy as I have had more than a few regrets after buying this 2015 (crossbars, ruining of the CVT with simulated gear changes to name a few). I feel like my car is whole now that I can use my x-cargo carrier. I have my first road trip planned where I will test the wind noise without the carrier. If it turns out to be an issue I will take them off and install them only when I need them.
Please update with wind noise after the trip. I'm debating purchasing a cargo box. My ski rack with skis and boards loaded makes conversation impossible because of the howling and thin cover material and moonroof glass being insufficient in keeping the noise out.
post #104 of 108 Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM

@ ej_pez - glad you got it done! It's amazing what difference a service manager can make.

@ w0nderbrad - I've been skiing a few times over the last winter with the skis in a Thule cargo box... It's a little loud but not to the point of hindering conversation. Perfectly tolerable though you definitely will want to keep the moonroof closed.
post #105 of 108 Old 04-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just added the cross bars to my 2017.5 Platinum. Love the look it gives & the ability to carry additional cargo, however the noise is unbearable at times. Has anyone experienced an issue trying to return these due to noise? I don't think my nerves can handle the howling. My daily isn't above 45 MPH and I can still hear it whistling above my head. Heard none of this prior to the cross bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017.5 Murano.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	39665  

/)@rrIc/<

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: