LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 51 Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pez View Post
Video seen here from similar thread for aftermarket trailer hitch for 2015 Murano shows simple install where you don't have to mess with the mufflers like Gen 1 or do any cutting.

2015 Nissan Murano Trailer Hitch - Hidden Hitch
Aftermarket hitches install and fit differently than factory hitches.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 PM
vfr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlopez View Post
Not sure if we are talking about a 2014 Murano or a Gen II one, but I installed my CURT hitch in my 2015 Platinum in less than 10 minutes, and that included opening the box in came in. All it takes is 5 nuts and I believe a 19mm socket plus a torque wrench

CURT Manufacturing 13205 Class III 2 in. Receiver Hitch
Took me maybe 15 minutes and it appears mostly hidden. Use the box it is shipped in to prop one side while you attach the other.
post #18 of 51 Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
can you post a picture of the end result? Do you need a jack to do this?
No, I backed up the car into ramps. I then crawled under, centered the hitch in with my left hand and used my right hand to finger-tighten two bolts and washers. I then finger-tightened the left side's bolts and finished with the torque wrench. One side takes 3 bolts, the other two. I will post pics tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 51 Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 AM

@Trappistmonk, you can see a ton of pictures on the etrailer site. Here's the link
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Curt Trailer Hitch C13205

Last edited by Sanlopez; 12-04-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
post #20 of 51 Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlopez View Post
@Trappistmonk, you can see a ton of pictures on the etrailer site. Here's the link
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" Curt Trailer Hitch C13205
thanks, it looks like the OEM hitch looks a lot better
post #21 of 51 Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Well....one plus for the big bulky aftermarket hitch is I don't see that horrendous looking exhaust bracket setup as often while walking towards the back of the vehicle.
fasteddie likes this.
post #22 of 51 Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I needed a 2" receiver. So I modified the factory hitch by cutting off the 1 1/4" extension and welding in a simple 2" adapter. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	1950
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	30633  
post #23 of 51 Old 12-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflowers View Post
I needed a 2" receiver. So I modified the factory hitch by cutting off the 1 1/4" extension and welding in a simple 2" adapter. See attached picture.
Keep in mind the weight limit for towing on that '15. I believe it's 1500 pounds.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #24 of 51 Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 PM
vfr

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Here is a picture with the after market installed. Hardly obtrusive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01753.jpg
Views:	3643
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	30673  

VFR

15 Murano
06 shiny red Boxster
11 335i BMW
post #25 of 51 Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had the Nissan dealer install what I believe to be the Nissan hitch, and yes it is a 1-1/4 inch hitch. It works great, looks great, no cutting of any bumper or any other parts. It sits back about 5 inches or so from the end of the bumper so it is well concealed. The issue I am having is ordering a hitch mount bike rack. Bike rack manuals give the acceptable distance from the side hole within the hitch and the back of the bumper. I measure it to be approximately 7.5 inches. I wanted to buy the Thule Apex 4 rack but it says the distance needs to be no more than 7.0 inches so that the hitch mount it way to close to working. Not having the actual rack around to test the actual product, I decided to go with my second choice which is the Yakima Full Tilt 4 which sets the maximum distance to be no greater than 9 inches so I should have 1.5 inches of clearance. So be careful when buying your hitches as clearance could be an issue with hitch mounted bike racks.
post #26 of 51 Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Refund On Hitch Not Yet Installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pez View Post
Did anybody have the dealer install the hitch after their purchase. I was told by my dealer that they would have to cut out a piece of the rear bumper. Anybody else hear or experience this? Not too thrilled with the idea of some flunky cutting into my bumper. The picture above makes me believe that this is not the case.
Did you order or had you ordered the hitch from the dealer? My dealer told me the same thing about there being "some cutting" involved. Ordered the trailer hitch and wiring, but it has not been installed yet. The dealer charged me close to $700 for this. I am thinking about asking for a refund and doing the aftermarket thing myself. I am planning to use this only to haul triathlon and road bikes on a bike rack. I don't like the sound of "cutting" and I really don't like the price I was given after reading these threads.

Thoughts about asking for a refund?

Thanks for any help!

Bob Hadden
post #27 of 51 Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM

If you can get it, go for it. The CURT hitch is almost $570 less
post #28 of 51 Old 12-19-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhadden View Post
Did you order or had you ordered the hitch from the dealer? My dealer told me the same thing about there being "some cutting" involved. Ordered the trailer hitch and wiring, but it has not been installed yet. The dealer charged me close to $700 for this. I am thinking about asking for a refund and doing the aftermarket thing myself. I am planning to use this only to haul triathlon and road bikes on a bike rack. I don't like the sound of "cutting" and I really don't like the price I was given after reading these threads.

Thoughts about asking for a refund?

Thanks for any help!

Bob Hadden
Factory hitch does not require any cutting. Looks better than after market. It costs more and is 1 1/4 inch. Your choice.
post #29 of 51 Old 12-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Threre may be a difference in the hitch/bumper design of the current series vs. the first series Muranos. It would be nice if someone would post pictures of the process of a factory hitch install on the '15 model.

Speaking only for the first generation Murano....

In that series, if you want to use the actual bumper, referred to as an "armature," then installing the factory hitch requires cutting two openings in the bumper for the ends of the hitch main bar - this has been explained and illustrated before. So no cutting is required on the hitch, nor on the fascia or body, but it is required on the factory armature/bumper if you want to use it. You also have the option of ordering the armature/bumper that is designed to be used with the hitch; it runs about $100.

This may not be the case on the third series Murano, starting in 2015. A careful review of the Nissan parts description of the bumper/armature would probably confirm it. For that matter, if there are two different part numbers for the armature with and without factory hitch, that would indicate some difference in the parts.

I also suggest that welding a 2" receiver onto a 1 1/4" designed hitch is a questionable decision if it leads to over-loading the hitch. It's also unnecessary since there are hitch adapter inserts readily available which allow using a 2" insert on a 1 1/4 hitch. Example: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...cyoRoCT6Tw_wcB

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #30 of 51 Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a new 2015 Mirano SV yesterday

I bought a new 2015 Murano SV yesterday. I would certainly prefer the look of a factory installed hitch. I couldn't find one on the net - dealership couldn't' find one. I asked what price would be for 2016 with one fact. installed .... research said they don't do it. finally settled for one without. The word from the dealership went like this: Those that you might see on the street are 2nd gen. [ 2014 or before] the factory does not install any hitch on 3rd gen. Murano 2015 and newer [ only Pathfinders]. They can install the hitch for you but is instructed to only install 1 1/4 receivers because the weight limit on 3rd gen. is 1,500 [ 2nd gen was 3,500] not appropriate for 2". I had to argue with them about that but they are right . They said a good idea was to check out the Nissan Parts + Accessories page for the hitch etc. [ currently 15-25 % off] and arrange for your dealership to install it. They all will be mounted so the receiver is below the bumper - not incorporated into the bumper itself. Not sure about installation fees- I think it was near $600 for parts and $990 total. You probably save a bundle to install yourself or maybe some local concern - I plugged it into Hidden hitch and they also listed some class III 2" so maybe you can get away with a 2" that way. But it's still hanging down below the bumper. Hard to believe Nissan dropped the limit by 2.000 lb - probably didn't want to be responsible for replacing failures [ lord knows what weights people are trying to tow].

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: