User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question 2015 Murano Paint Problem

After a recent car wash I noticed some discoloration on the finish on my cayenne red 2015 Murano with about 3500 miles. The car wash is literally next door to my Nissan dealer so I stopped by.

At first they noted that my dealer applied aftermarket finish treatment had not been applied right and buffed out the areas in question. That went without trouble. The serviceman then looked over the body and told me that I should ask my salesman to come out and look at something. Soon several guys were crawling over my Murano taking pictures. They told me there were some problems with the some areas of the paint (what I saw looked like a bubble or a drip, and that they were going to make a warranty claim to Nissan.

So, I finally got a call to drop it off and I set up the appointment, the salesman said that it would take a week to repaint. But the guy was passing along what the service manager told him and could not give me any specifics. I think a lot was lost in translation.

Iím going to talk to the service manager before I let them work on the car. However, I have never had a paint/finish problem in my 40 years of car ownership.

What questions should I be asking? Has anyone had a similar situation?

2015 Murano SL w/Tech Package
Cayenne Red w/Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I would demand to know what it was. This is just me though I have no experience either. Frustrating I am sure and feel for you. Hope it all works out.

15 Murano Platinum Silver AWD
11 Murano LE AWD--Sold
15 BMW M4 Convertible
02 Ford Lightning SVT F-150
post #3 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I think you should get a new car, and that was what the salesman was referring too but didn't want to get into trouble. A repainted car will never be as good as the factory paint. When trade-in time comes it will probably be spotted and you'll take a big hit. I would call Nissan and start a case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Apppic of had to remove clips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We had huge paint problems with our new 2013 black Murano Platinum. There was something on the hood, fenders, and top of the car that came through the clear coat. Ultimately, after 6 months, the car was painted. It didn't match well. Another two months went by and the hood started doing the same thing again with the clearcoat.

Nissan bought the car back in August and gave us a new 2015 Murano Platinum. We got an Arctic Blue one this time, as we were leary of getting another black painted Nissan.

Nissan replaced it under the WA state lemon law guidlines. I hope your car doesn't come to this, but if you have questions, we just went through a year of these fun paint issues.

Last edited by sledmeister; 11-19-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
As someone who has seen first-hand the robotic paint process in 3 different car manufacturing plants (Saturn Springfield, TN, Nissan Smyrna, TN, Corvette Bowling Green, KY) I agree with jkruseelle's assessment that a "hand painted" car will never look as good as a factory paint job. Yes, there are artisan painters who do work on million-plus Ferraris, but you ain;t gonna find them at your local Nissan shop.

You should push for a new car, and do get in touch with Nissan North America to lodge a formal complaint. Even if the damage was done by some moron with an "aftermarket paint protectant" the work was done by the dealership, which acts as an extension of the Nissan brand.

Good luck
Deimatt likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Where exactly was this trouble spot on the car and how big? If you can't return a car for a new one via lemon law and if it's a tiny spot like pea size - I would personally don't bother with repainting it. Just ask dealer to give you free touch up paint for your trouble and maybe they can throw in some goodies like free maintenance and wash for 5 years to make it up for you.

The reason I advise to avoid repainting whole body panel - is that no man can do the job exactly as it is done on manufacturing. My main concern would not even be paint itself, but zinc coating layer that no dealership will be able to replicate as it was done on factory. Without proper zinc layer - your body panel will rust and paint will bubble after 2-3 years of winter or rain season. So because of small tiny spot - you'll end up with whole rusty panel couple of years later, when your warranty will end. The reason is that when they will be doing repainting, they will take off and polish all body panel until only bare metal is left. All Zinc layer will be gone too. And no one will know how thorough that painter will be when he will be reapplying all layers back, including Zinc one. I had a Dodge Grand Caravan dealership do an official repaint job of rear trunk and 2 years after rust spots begun all over it. I highly suspect they skipped Zinc layer and just went strait to primer and paint. Since warranty was only for perforation - rust spots were not accountable. I ended up selling my car for cheap.

If you still want to proceed and repaint it - ask dealer to make sure to properly follow Nissan procedure for body panels (in terms of Zinc coat layer application). And in addition, ask dealer to give you extended warranty on that body panel (or that paint job).

Overall, it's not a end of the world and stuff like this happens all the time. Hopefully they will do a proper repainting job and you will not have problems with it.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
With out taking a hit on trade in Personally I would do some really serious talking to your dealer on doing a buy back. They can say all they want but in 2-4 yrs they wont remember it and you will end up with a 2-4k hit on trade.

2015 Murano SL Java Metallic
post #8 of 21 Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a941 View Post
With out taking a hit on trade in Personally I would do some really serious talking to your dealer on doing a buy back. They can say all they want but in 2-4 yrs they wont remember it and you will end up with a 2-4k hit on trade.
It is not an easy process for buy back. It took us a year with NNA and over 10 weeks in the shop, and finally NNA agreed to the buy back. If the car does not meet state lemon law buy back rules, Nissan will give you the run around, like they did to us.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
i'd ask for a new Murano. No way in hell should you have it repainted, you paid for a new car you should get one. Often times the cars at the dealer will get weather damaged (hail and such) and they go to paint and body and then sold to unsuspecting buyers
post #10 of 21 Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to all for your comments.

Dushash - All I've seen was a few spots that frankly I did not notice until pointed out to me. Thanks for the technical explanation.

My 'to do' list includes reading up on the Missouri Lemon Law and getting a detailed explanation on whats wrong and what is being offered to be done from the dealer.
Dushash likes this.

2015 Murano SL w/Tech Package
Cayenne Red w/Beige
post #11 of 21 Old 10-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
2016 Paint Problem

Hi Everyone, I got a new 2016 Murano Sl with tech package in pacific Sunset color 3 weeks ago , I have Debries under the paint in every door jam at the kickplates and about half way up the sides, derbies under the paint on the hood, both rear doors, the drivers side roof, the rear bumper, inside all round the lift gate, also there are runs in the paint on the rear bumper, passangers side rear door, the top of he rear lift gate near the roof, the passangers side front door and fender don't line up , as well as cracked Crome trim on front bumper, dented Crome trim on passangers front door just below the window, the front black part of the v grill is scratched up, the hoods misaligned, the rear gates misaligned, the lift gate weather stripping deformed, the left rear lifgate strut/ motor is leaking liquid out of it , the silver roof rain on passangers side has a different color cover over the places where you would attach cross bars, the steering wheel is not straight and it vibrates at 65 MPH , the dealer has fixed the vibration by doing a rebalance on all tires and a 4 wheel alignment, but steering wheel still remains not straight, I understand all the parts can be fixed and replaced,which m willing ng to let them do, however they want me to allow them to basically repaint the entire car after they get the body panels lined up, and I do not want to accept them opening up the factory paint to do this, the sales department says they can get me out of the car and into a different Murano SL with tech for 7,500 buck more , and I don't think I should have to go that route ... it's a brand new car with less that 500 miles on it I've filed a case with Nissan and so far they are tellie ng me they will fix under warranty and that's all their willing to do , I want it exchanged for the same model and equipment , I know once the factory paint has been opened up and repainted , the car will show signs of a repaint, and diminish the value of my car greatly, any others have these sorts of problems and what were your results? Thanks in advance
post #12 of 21 Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMoCMH View Post
Hi Everyone, I got a new 2016 Murano Sl with tech package in pacific Sunset color 3 weeks ago , I have Debries under the paint in every door jam at the kickplates and about half way up the sides, derbies under the paint on the hood, both rear doors, the drivers side roof, the rear bumper, inside all round the lift gate, also there are runs in the paint on the rear bumper, passangers side rear door, the top of he rear lift gate near the roof, the passangers side front door and fender don't line up , as well as cracked Crome trim on front bumper, dented Crome trim on passangers front door just below the window, the front black part of the v grill is scratched up, the hoods misaligned, the rear gates misaligned, the lift gate weather stripping deformed, the left rear lifgate strut/ motor is leaking liquid out of it , the silver roof rain on passangers side has a different color cover over the places where you would attach cross bars, the steering wheel is not straight and it vibrates at 65 MPH , the dealer has fixed the vibration by doing a rebalance on all tires and a 4 wheel alignment, but steering wheel still remains not straight, I understand all the parts can be fixed and replaced,which m willing ng to let them do, however they want me to allow them to basically repaint the entire car after they get the body panels lined up, and I do not want to accept them opening up the factory paint to do this, the sales department says they can get me out of the car and into a different Murano SL with tech for 7,500 buck more , and I don't think I should have to go that route ... it's a brand new car with less that 500 miles on it I've filed a case with Nissan and so far they are tellie ng me they will fix under warranty and that's all their willing to do , I want it exchanged for the same model and equipment , I know once the factory paint has been opened up and repainted , the car will show signs of a repaint, and diminish the value of my car greatly, any others have these sorts of problems and what were your results? Thanks in advance

S.O.L.

Nissan paint and body panels on these new Muranos is embarrassing at best. Get used to it.

If you can't live with all of the problems, get rid of it. Look the next car over first is all I can really advise.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
S.O.L.

Nissan paint and body panels on these new Muranos is embarrassing at best. Get used to it.

If you can't live with all of the problems, get rid of it. Look the next car over first is all I can really advise.
I finally got a call from Nissan regional office wendsday afternoon and Well as it turns out I'm not SOL on the purchase of my 2016 SL tech pacific sunset, Nissan has agreed to replace the car because it having the worst paint job I've ever seen on a brand new car , as well as the body fit issues and other problems, so a replacement is being transported to my local dealer , going to get a 2016 platinum with tech in brilliant silver as the replacement, it arrives this evening but I'm gonna take your advise Robotaz and wait until tommarow to go and look it over with a fine tooth comb in the daytime after it's detailed for delivery before I agree to accept it and sign anything , so my advise to anyone with so many problems is to be persistent and do not take no for an answer, I'll still be stuck like everyone else with the crappy Navigation and Nissan connect, but I really like the new Murano and like everything else so that's something will have to live with....
post #14 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMoCMH View Post
I finally got a call from Nissan regional office wendsday afternoon and Well as it turns out I'm not SOL on the purchase of my 2016 SL tech pacific sunset, Nissan has agreed to replace the car because it having the worst paint job I've ever seen on a brand new car , as well as the body fit issues and other problems, so a replacement is being transported to my local dealer , going to get a 2016 platinum with tech in brilliant silver as the replacement, it arrives this evening but I'm gonna take your advise Robotaz and wait until tommarow to go and look it over with a fine tooth comb in the daytime after it's detailed for delivery before I agree to accept it and sign anything , so my advise to anyone with so many problems is to be persistent and do not take no for an answer, I'll still be stuck like everyone else with the crappy Navigation and Nissan connect, but I really like the new Murano and like everything else so that's something will have to live with....
is there a reason for going with silver exterior this time?
post #15 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp_9669 View Post
is there a reason for going with silver exterior this time?
Well other than I was able to get a platinum with tech as a replacement and there were none within a reasonable distance in a platinum with tech in pacific sunset, also the bumpers front and rear on mind were not the same color in appearance, also because there plastic and body panels are metal,I was told that's why they appear off in paint color , plus I had such a bad experience with this car and the pacific sunset color, I didn't wanna take the chance with another one same color, IMO the pacific sunset made the Murano look more sporty and the Brillant silver makes it more luxurious and classy .... so that's why I changed color... just got a call it's at the dealer now, transportation just dropped it off, I'm hopping they didn't "literally just drop it off on the lot" but at this point nothing would surprise me ...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: