User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 11-27-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
New member: picked up a black 2015 SL AWD today

After owning a 2012 S AWD and a 2014 S AWD, we just picked up a new 2015 SL AWD. It's the first time we're paying for all the bells and whistles, so I'm hoping we'll like the convenience of them. I definitely like the auto on/off for the headlights. I never understood why the S version did not have this.

My first impressions after driving it for 30 miles.
- suspension is softer than the 2nd gen Murano
- Fuel consumption has improved
- Car is quiet
- I like the surround view

I'm not that impressed with the quality of the leather they used, and I do not find the Bose system to big a big improvement over the base system, if an improvement at all.

Some questions I have:
- is there no AWD lock button anymore like in the '14's?
- Can you change the color of the footwell/ambient lighting?
- I have the 13 - 14 maps, but the dealer will reimburse me when I order the new maps. I can't order this via the website, has anyone done this?

I have to confess, that this is my wife's car, so I only drive it occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Welcome!

- is there no AWD lock button anymore like in the '14's?
-----> Correct. It's intelligent AWD and comes on faster than the blink of an eye when required.

- Can you change the color of the footwell/ambient lighting?
-----> No.

- I have the 13 - 14 maps, but the dealer will reimburse me when I order the new maps. I can't order this via the website, has anyone done this?
------> There are varying reports of different versions of maps out there, but you would have the latest. I think they have new versions once a year through the dealer.
Mad Murano likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-27-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. The '14 had intelligent AWD as well, but you could override this manually by pushing this button. It was only good for low speeds.

I'll give the number on the Nissan Navigation page a call on Monday and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Here she is, I had to clay the hood and roof and applied a first layer of wax to the hood, bumpers and fenders. More detail work to follow. I'm one of these guys that takes delivery of the car as is and asks the dealer not to wash if for delivery.

Still thinking of adding a paint protection film aka clearbra to the car, but not sure I want to spend the $600 to keep it nice for the next owner in 1or 2 years.

After washing and claying it, I must say that the '14 we had had a better production quality and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1448724139162.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	30537   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1448724158668.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	30545   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1448724174329.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	30553  
cbording and Mad Murano like this.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
Here she is, I had to clay the hood and roof and applied a first layer of wax to the hood, bumpers and fenders. More detail work to follow. I'm one of these guys that takes delivery of the car as is and asks the dealer not to wash if for delivery.

Still thinking of adding a paint protection film aka clearbra to the car, but not sure I want to spend the $600 to keep it nice for the next owner in 1or 2 years.

After washing and claying it, I must say that the '14 we had had a better production quality and paint.
Awesome! I find that the dealer doesn't do a great job these days and I can do better. I had so many issues on delivery with the cleanliness of the car, they detailed it for free again.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealthing View Post
Awesome! I find that the dealer doesn't do a great job these days and I can do better. I had so many issues on delivery with the cleanliness of the car, they detailed it for free again.
I did not want them to detail it, they offered it. I have seen cars that were out on the lot for a month and looked still ok, until their 'detail' department washed it and scratched the paint ...
Deimatt likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Congrats!

Great job with detailing her.

Not that I get my cars serviced at dealerships but when I got two free oil changes a while back on my first car I made a mistake taking their complimentary wash.

SHIFT_rose gold one twenty eight

SHIFT_pacific sunset SL awd
post #8 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Did you get a paint protection film installed?

The detail is not done, I just did the hood with wax. I will redo the whip car with a sealer and after that put two layers of wax on it. It's my wife's car, but I like our vehicles clean. That also means no eating or drinking in our cars ;-)
post #9 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:

I personally would avoid any clearbra film due to well known issues with it. Dirt accumulates at the film edges and after several seasons of winter rust starts to show up in the same area where edge of film is. Even Toyota and Honda who used to do film protection near problematic to rust places like rear fenders, wheel arches and rocker panels - they abandoned this idea recently.

If you want to keep it clean - best is to wash and wax regularly. IMHO.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushash View Post
I personally would avoid any clearbra film due to well known issues with it. Dirt accumulates at the film edges and after several seasons of winter rust starts to show up in the same area where edge of film is. Even Toyota and Honda who used to do film protection near problematic to rust places like rear fenders, wheel arches and rocker panels - they abandoned this idea recently.

If you want to keep it clean - best is to wash and wax regularly. IMHO.
It is not about keeping it clean. I wax the paint protection film on my other car. It is to protect it from rock chips. Or other issues from stuff flying up from other road users.

Rust under the film is not an issue as far as I know, unless the MO is very rust sensitive. Which, after detailing it more and looking at the rough edges on the bodywork and paintwork inconsistencies, it might well be.

I got a great quote for Suntek film (which I have on my other car as well) for half hood/fenders and bumper for $600. I paid $1200 for full hood, full fenders and bumper on my other car (also Suntek)

Just not sure that it is worth it for the Murano. I do wash my cars by hand every 1-2 weeks and add a sealant and 2 wax layers avery 3-4 months. But that does not prevent rock chips from happening.

So did I mention I am pretty OCD when it comes to cars? ;-)
post #11 of 18 Old 11-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
It is not about keeping it clean. I wax the paint protection film on my other car. It is to protect it from rock chips. Or other issues from stuff flying up from other road users.

Rust under the film is not an issue as far as I know, unless the MO is very rust sensitive. Which, after detailing it more and looking at the rough edges on the bodywork and paintwork inconsistencies, it might well be.

I got a great quote for Suntek film (which I have on my other car as well) for half hood/fenders and bumper for $600. I paid $1200 for full hood, full fenders and bumper on my other car (also Suntek)

Just not sure that it is worth it for the Murano. I do wash my cars by hand every 1-2 weeks and add a sealant and 2 wax layers avery 3-4 months. But that does not prevent rock chips from happening.

So did I mention I am pretty OCD when it comes to cars? ;-)
I know that hood is aluminum, bumpers are plastic, so only rust issues that can appear from chipping are fenders maybe. However, I got it - you are more concerned about rock and chips damage in term of dents and appearance and in that case film is worth it I guess. I'm just not sure it's worth $600. I mean during resale - if customer will appreciate that you kept car in such good condition then yes, but IMHO in my experience they don't' care, or even if they do, they won't pay you extra $600 more compared to another owners Murano without film. If you were to keep the car for 8-10 years - then film will pay off I guess. Not sure, maybe others will chime on this topic.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you give a little feedback to someone who's never clayed before. Easy? Hard? Time consuming? Any tips that you find working easier? Thanks!
post #13 of 18 Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09NissanMuranoS View Post
Can you give a little feedback to someone who's never clayed before. Easy? Hard? Time consuming? Any tips that you find working easier? Thanks!
It's the easiest thing there is. You should not have to do this on a new car, but I did it anyway.

I recommend the following:

1) wash first with dishwashing soap -->this removes all wax residues
2) Clay the car. Buy a clay bar, and a solution. I use Griot's garage clay bar and Speedshine. Do not use a full bar, use less. Use plenty of Speedshine on the bar and on the car. The clay always has to gide over the paint.
Paint Cleaning Clay Kit - Paint Cleaning Clay - Polishing - Car Care - Griot's Garage There is a video on this page as well.
3) Wash car again with Car Wash soap (that does not contain Wax)
3) Apply a sealant. Use Klasse AIO or Griot's One Step Sealant. I use Griot's as it has a very light polish to remove light swirls and seal it at the same time.
4) Apply as many layers wax as you have time for.

--> I always tape of the plastic parts and the seems of my car with Automotive tape. Waxes make your black plastic trim look dull.

So, claying is the easy part, it takes me ten minutes doing the whole car. It takes me longer to tape the car to prepare for sealant and wax. I use an orbital and different pads for sealing as for waxing.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09NissanMuranoS View Post
I also have a black 2015 SL. Here's how I prepared mine for the winter in Pittsburgh.
  • Wash and dry the vehicle
  • Clay bar
  • Then I do two applications of Chemical Guys Blacklight radiant glaze. This does a nice job in hiding some of the swirls and fine scratches you see in the finish, while really producing a nice deep shine. It's specifically designed for black cars, but you can use it on any color. Just seems to have better visual results on darker colors.
  • After the Blacklight, I do two applications of Chemical Guys JetSeal sealer. This stuff is great! It seals in the shine, and provides protection for up to 12 months.

If you have never done the clay bar, don't be afraid! It's super easy, and the difference in the finish is astounding! It seriously makes the finish as smooth as glass. It's almost effortless to do it. For me, it just takes a little time (way more than 10 min). Totally worth it, though! Look up some videos on YouTube. There are a ton that show you how to do it. Once you do it, and see how easy it is, while giving you great results, you'll be mad that you never did it before! heheh

After I was done with the detailing, I took it up the street to fill up the gas tank. When I was driving back, and putting it in the garage, my neighbor said, "Your car looks great! I mean, I saw it driving down the road and I told my wife, 'they don't even look that good coming off the lot brand new!'"

As far a paint chips go, someone on here recommended Doctor Color Chip to me one time. That stuff is the best!! Little chips really stand out on a black car, and that stuff fixes/hides them in a hurry. Definitely recommend that stuff as well!

Good luck!
post #15 of 18 Old 11-30-2015, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I also have a black 2015 SL. Here's how I prepared mine for the winter in Pittsburgh.
  • Wash and dry the vehicle
  • Clay bar
  • Then I do two applications of Chemical Guys Blacklight radiant glaze. This does a nice job in hiding some of the swirls and fine scratches you see in the finish, while really producing a nice deep shine. It's specifically designed for black cars, but you can use it on any color. Just seems to have better visual results on darker colors.
  • After the Blacklight, I do two applications of Chemical Guys JetSeal sealer. This stuff is great! It seals in the shine, and provides protection for up to 12 months.

If you have never done the clay bar, don't be afraid! It's super easy, and the difference in the finish is astounding! It seriously makes the finish as smooth as glass. It's almost effortless to do it. For me, it just takes a little time (way more than 10 min). Totally worth it, though! Look up some videos on YouTube. There are a ton that show you how to do it. Once you do it, and see how easy it is, while giving you great results, you'll be mad that you never did it before! heheh

After I was done with the detailing, I took it up the street to fill up the gas tank. When I was driving back, and putting it in the garage, my neighbor said, "Your car looks great! I mean, I saw it driving down the road and I told my wife, 'they don't even look that good coming off the lot brand new!'"

As far a paint chips go, someone on here recommended Doctor Color Chip to me one time. That stuff is the best!! Little chips really stand out on a black car, and that stuff fixes/hides them in a hurry. Definitely recommend that stuff as well!

Good luck!
Thanks for the easy advice

I will doing mine soon. I'll get a before and after picture for you and see if you can tell the difference. It's actually a pearl white. Like you said I don't see using the JetSeal sealer. I'll see what else they have. Chemical guys... Never hear of it? I'll check them out as well. I do see myself using the Doctor Color Chip although I have some of the factory touch up paint. Those little chips and scratches on the nose really bug me after a good wash!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: