1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2015 Murano Roof Cross bars

Hi All,

Just recently picked up a 15 Mo. I'm looking at picking up a roof cross bar for it. I've seen the silver factory cross bars on a show room Mo. But am having a hard time finding it to order.

Do any of you know where I can go to pick one up? And how hard is it to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Please do a search - there is a long discussion about crossbars in the forum.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Buy it online from the nissan estore and use the 15% off coupon. Pick it up from dealer. Install yourself if you have a dremel, socket wrench with the correct torx bit, metric allen key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/1...uestion-4.html

Dealer should have them...A few have said their bars didn't fit well, mine fit like they are supposed to, check out the above link, more info and some pics.

Nissan didn't do a great job in easily allowing the crossbars to be used, as you need to cut into the plastic in the roof rails to allow them to fit.

Good luck

--------------
RVelle

Now in my driveway:
'15 Murano Plat AWD w/ Tech Package (Pearl White, Int: Cashmere)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded In:
'12 Murano SL AWD (Pearl White, Int: Beige)

Nissan Graveyard (Oct 2012):
'10 Murano SL AWD (Tinted Bronze, Int: Beige)
Premium, Leather, 360 Packages
post #5 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had the dealer add them to my 15. In my case they made too much road noise for my liking. Keep the plastic tabs or ask for them if dealer does the job (they snap on and off). Fortunately the dealer still had my plastic caps that they removed from the rails. I took the crossbars off and will put them back on as needed for skiing racks and other things. I used to own a Subaru, and love the swing away crossbars they had. Wish Nissan would incorporate this functionality.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-18-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZim123 View Post
I had the dealer add them to my 15. In my case they made too much road noise for my liking. Keep the plastic tabs or ask for them if dealer does the job (they snap on and off). Fortunately the dealer still had my plastic caps that they removed from the rails. I took the crossbars off and will put them back on as needed for skiing racks and other things. I used to own a Subaru, and love the swing away crossbars they had. Wish Nissan would incorporate this functionality.
Yea it's a shame Nissan doesn't really spend any time on these cross bars. Subaru knew its customers would use the cross bars for surf or ski or kayak or bike so they made it a priority I think. My cross bar set on the legacy was a breeze to put up and take down. Nissan is more of a volume seller and just half asses a bunch of things hoping nobody notices... which makes no sense because if you're moving volume, people will eventually run into the problem.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, and sorry for the post, I did search "crossbar" but I don't believe anything came up.
Anywho, after reading that thread, I'll pass on the crossbars, sound like a PITA to install.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Can you give a bit more detail about the noise? Was this with the crossbars alone, or with equipment attached? Do they vibrate? Whistle? Am I going to hear more wind noise that I typically do when I have my clamshell up top?

If the bars alone are making a great deal of noise, I can see doing what you said - take them off and put them back on when needed.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZim123 View Post
Can you give a bit more detail about the noise? Was this with the crossbars alone, or with equipment attached? Do they vibrate? Whistle? Am I going to hear more wind noise that I typically do when I have my clam shell up top?

If the bars alone are making a great deal of noise, I can see doing what you said - take them off and put them back on when needed.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pez View Post
Can you give a bit more detail about the noise? Was this with the crossbars alone, or with equipment attached? Do they vibrate? Whistle? Am I going to hear more wind noise that I typically do when I have my clam shell up top?

no significant additional wind noise with just the bars. loud as hell with my ski rack and snowboards on top. No whistling, vibrating, just a whole lot of wind noise. This is with the pano roof though. Solid roof I imagine will be a lot quieter.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My noise came at highway speeds with crossbars only.... it was a low frequency hum, loud enough to be heard. I took off the crossbar and it went away. I only use the crossbar for ski racks in the winter, so I will put the crossbars for those trips.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Are there any aftermarket (non-dealer) or OEM crossbars that anyone can recommend? I'm having sticker shocker with $300 when buying from dealer.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Simanivanh View Post
Are there any aftermarket (non-dealer) or OEM crossbars that anyone can recommend? I'm having sticker shocker with $300 when buying from dealer.
Nissan online store has a 15% off coupon code. Buy online and pick up from dealer. It'll save you like $50.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone provide a bit more detail about the cutting that needs to be done? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I've been unable to find information about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVelle View Post
https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/1...uestion-4.html

Dealer should have them...A few have said their bars didn't fit well, mine fit like they are supposed to, check out the above link, more info and some pics.

Nissan didn't do a great job in easily allowing the crossbars to be used, as you need to cut into the plastic in the roof rails to allow them to fit.

Good luck
post #15 of 20 Old 04-12-2016, 03:09 PM

You have to cut 4 holes, each about 2x2 or 3x3 inches. The plastic is pretty thick, about 1/2" thick. You need a dremel or something similar. More precise the better. That's the hardest part. The other part is getting the cross bar to align. You need a metric allen key to loosen and adjust. Then you have to shove that **** in the roof rails and hope they align. Tolerances not exactly a priority for Nissan apparently. Hope the screw holes align and screw it in. I didn't take the rails off the car.