Continental Sport XL tires - a bit harsh on potholes? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blinky19
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Continental Sport XL tires - a bit harsh on potholes?

How do you find them overall? I had Micheline before and I think they were a lot softer compared to Conti, especially on small cracks and sharp edgy potholes our roads are full of.
Dushash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
Halwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
I hate Continental tires. They came on my 2005 Maxima and when they wore out, I swore I'd never own another.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
Halwg is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Registered User
 
Freedom55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
I find mine quite comfortable and not noisy on bumps, cracks, pot holes etc. but they emit a bit of tread noise especially below highway speeds. This is my main issue with them. I've had better and I had worse. The traction is fine for normal driving, much better than the Eagle LS I had on my 2014! Not a sporty tire by any means despite their name but O.K.

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
Freedom55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 AM
Registered User
 
Halwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushash View Post
How do you find them overall? I had Micheline before and I think they were a lot softer compared to Conti, especially on small cracks and sharp edgy potholes our roads are full of.

Even though I tend to dislike Continental tires, they have to be better than the Bridgestone Duelers that came on my 2018 Platinum. I will replace them with Michelin when the time comes.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
Halwg is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My only experience with Continentals was on my 07 Maxima. The wore out in under 2 years. They were fairly noisy, toward the end. For the first year, they were great. I would never consider them as an aftermarket purchase after that experience. 1 year of good performance just doesn't cut it, for me.

I'm coming up on year 3 with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ and they are still great. Still have half tread depth left, as well after 20K miles.
Strontium is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
user8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
They're junk. I limped them to around 30k and swapped for Michelin Premier LTX. Night and day difference in ride quality, noise, grip in the wet.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
user8 is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Registered User
 
bwebb6322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NELA
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
They're junk. I limped them to around 30k and swapped for Michelin Premier LTX. Night and day difference in ride quality, noise, grip in the wet.
I was thinking of swapping out my Toyo OEM tires for the Premier LTX's. The Toyos have 34k miles on them and look to have at least another 20k before wearing out. However, they've started to get noisy and harsh over bumps.

2016 SL FWD Cayenne Red
Roof rack cross bars
Illuminated door sills
Nissan all weather mats
Husky cargo liner
6000k HID kit
bwebb6322 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
AltimaNEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
My 05 Altima came with Continentals from the factory. Man they sucked. In the rain, it was like driving on cold plastic tires. Very slick and lost traction easily. The non-factory Continentals it has now are much nicer, but nothing special.
AltimaNEO is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
Blinky19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Have had the Michelin Premier LTXs for a year now and are probably the best tire I have ever used.
PaulDay likes this.

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
Blinky19 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Registered User
 
user8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwebb6322 View Post
I was thinking of swapping out my Toyo OEM tires for the Premier LTX's. The Toyos have 34k miles on them and look to have at least another 20k before wearing out. However, they've started to get noisy and harsh over bumps.
I don't have any experience w/ the Toyos but if they ride and sound like the Continentals did, you will be happy riding on the Michelins.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
user8 is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Registered User
 
Halwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky19 View Post
Have had the Michelin Premier LTXs for a year now and are probably the best tire I have ever used.

What size did you get? I'm thinking the Murano needs a wider tire. I'm thinking about going to 255/50 R20 for my next set.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
Halwg is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Registered User
 
Nam Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I have a nail on the sidewall of my rear passenger side. Said they couldn't patch it up.

So not a good first impression of Continental for me. I'm use to using General Grabber ATX and Cooper Discoverer RTX tires which both has nice rugged threads and they last a long time

So Michelin LTX are the way to go? I want a rugged tire
Nam Vu is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
Blinky19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
What size did you get? I'm thinking the Murano needs a wider tire. I'm thinking about going to 255/50 R20 for my next set.
Yes 255/50/20 is the way to go. Did it on my 09 and now on my 14. You wont be disappointed

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
Blinky19 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 08-22-2018, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
 
GateKeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Vu View Post
I have a nail on the sidewall of my rear passenger side. Said they couldn't patch it up.

So not a good first impression of Continental for me
. I'm use to using General Grabber ATX and Cooper Discoverer RTX tires which both has nice rugged threads and they last a long time

So Michelin LTX are the way to go? I want a rugged tire

You do realize that most if not all places will not patch/fix a tire with a puncture in the sidewall


I hope because of that, your first impression of the Continental's is not the reason for the negative impression.


I don't like them only because they wore out so fast, the first year was great, 2nd year not too bad, 3rd year they were no good in the rain or snow, and not so grippy in the summer, and I have less than 25 thousand kilometers on them, I will now get a set of dedicated winter tires, and a new set of summer tires and rims.....


.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
GateKeper is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 PM
Registered User
 
Nam Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeper View Post
You do realize that most if not all places will not patch/fix a tire with a puncture in the sidewall


I hope because of that, your first impression of the Continental's is not the reason for the negative impression.


I don't like them only because they wore out so fast, the first year was great, 2nd year not too bad, 3rd year they were no good in the rain or snow, and not so grippy in the summer, and I have less than 25 thousand kilometers on them, I will now get a set of dedicated winter tires, and a new set of summer tires and rims.....


.

Yes I do know about the side wall not to be patched. But my other tires were rated at 40k-50k although not as grippy as these Continental
Nam Vu is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome