2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDay View Post
Today's DTRL are nothing like yesterday's DRL's, which I hated and disabled on my wife's Rav4 by swapping the relay. But in all my years of driving, NYC - Hartford daily, I can't say that I was ever blinded by a car with DRL's in the daytime.

Have a good day.
I agree, and my eyes are quite sensitive to light.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 01-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by assad View Post
You can't, the DTRL relay is not serviceable, meaning you cannot remove it, it is part of the fuse box. If you try, you will break it...

Again, the DTRL are controlled entirely by the computer, there is no serviceable part as far as the driver. The reason they made it that way is that so that people don't mess with it, since it is a safety feature.
Thanks assad. One could cut simply the wires powering the DTRL, a bit unorthodox but if this is what someone really wants. Also the parking brake when depressed just a notch will prevent the DTRL from being powered and I don't think this would be enough to wear the brake pads as there is some slack; however this will trigger a warning light on the center dashboard but a small piece of black electrical tape could cover it. One could also disconnect the switch at the parking brake pedal; not sure if it's a normally closed or normally open contact but it doesn't cost anything to try!

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
My gripe about DRLs is as mentioned earlier - in many cars they are just cheap lights with round lenses that throw light pollution up into the eyes of oncoming drivers. This isn't an issue daytimes, but at night it can be rather blinding.

Dodge Ram trucks have some of the WORST lights; I don't know if they're supposed to be "driving lights" (they're not) or "fog lights" (also obviously not) or "daytime running lights." All I know is that they are freakin' blinding and there are some trucks that I want to follow home with a hammer and take out their lights. I make it a point to flash my high beams at them, and not in a kind way either. GM also put some DRLs on vehicles that were simply awful, cheap, obnoxious lights.

If DRLs are actually decent lighting instruments or LEDs which don't throw lights up into the eyes of oncoming drivers, I consider them to be a safety augmentation and a benefit. Unfortunately lights like that are the exception rather than the rule.

Any light facing forward on a car should have a well designed lens and reflector, and should control the aim of the light.

A few decades ago when I was a reserve deputy on patrol, I knew there was a law in my state that one could have no more than four driving type lights facing forward. I never enforced it unless some goof blinded me in the daytime with crappy dime store "driving" lights facing me. I pulled them over and gave them a choice between disconnecting the driving lights and getting a ticket. No one chose the ticket.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 Old 12-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
+2

I canít tell you how many times people would pull out in front of cars on tree-lined back roads back in the day before DRLs. This is especially problematic with bright sunny day and a dark Car come down a shaded road. I used to think it was other drivers being careless, but it is hard to see into the shade when you have a dark, unlit car coming. I even paid extra on much 2010 for the Nissan OEMs...I did not do this for appearance, but for the functionality and never regretted it. I am so glad the 2018 has these standard and they are actually pretty good looking to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red kiosk View Post
+1

Jim

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #20 of 24 Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
My gripe is how the DRL dont turn off when the car is put into park with the parking brake on. Because of Nissans amazing idea of cutting out the power to the entertainment system as soon as you shut the car off, I'm sometimes sitting somewhere with my DRL on at night just to finish off a conversation. Annoying...
post #21 of 24 Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
My gripe is how the DRL dont turn off when the car is put into park with the parking brake on. Because of Nissans amazing idea of cutting out the power to the entertainment system as soon as you shut the car off, I'm sometimes sitting somewhere with my DRL on at night just to finish off a conversation. Annoying...
I totally agree. My charger dtrl shuts off when my parking brake is on. In the murano however, I leave the engine on since my wife and sleeping child (4 month old) are in the car. The dtrl at night is really bright. There happens to be someone else parked inside the car in front of my murano and the dtrl were just blinding them and I felt bad cause the engine needed to be on for heat.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Thatís odd, the gen 2 OEM DRLs would go off if you applied the parking brake - a nice touch for situations like yours. Too bad they didnít carry that over to Gen 3

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #23 of 24 Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think if you turn the vehicle off, apply the parking brake, make sure the headlight switch is off, and then restart the vehicle...the drl's will remain off on the 3rd gen.

cheers,
noboy
post #24 of 24 Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noboy View Post
I think if you turn the vehicle off, apply the parking brake, make sure the headlight switch is off, and then restart the vehicle...the drl's will remain off on the 3rd gen.

cheers,
noboy
You are correct. They will. The annoyance is that you'll lose bluetooth connection.

It's just annoying that's all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: