User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 11-28-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Permanently disable running daylights??

Can someone here please let me know how I can permanently disable the running daylights on my 2017 Murano SL? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
You can't, unless you unplug some connector or relay from the fuse box inside the engine bay.
Thlorian likes this.

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
post #3 of 24 Old 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Why would you disconnect a safety system?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
RCM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 PM
The Phone Booth Fanatic

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkruseelle View Post
Why would you disconnect a safety system?
+1

Jim

"The pathologically precise are annoying, but right."

2017.5 Midnight Edition - Pearl White/Charcoal
- Heated Blind Spot Mirrors
- Illuminated Kick Plates
- Interior Accent Lighting
- Morimoto XB-N LED Fog Lights
- Hella Super Horns
- Weathertech Front & Rear Mats
- Color-matched License Plate Frame
- FastFlash Strobe Module on High-mount Brake Light
- Nissan Trailer Hitch
- 25% Tinted Front Side Windows
- 4th Brake Light (EDM OEM Rear Fog Lamp)

2009 LE (Traded In)
post #5 of 24 Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Why!

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #6 of 24 Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I personally won't turn it off.
But a few legit reasons:
+ State-law doesn't require & Don't like the amber look (but don't want to replace the bulbs)?
+ One dead bulb (no time to replace yet)?

My 14Avalon has the option in the settings for that (must be a valid choice for them to allow, right?)
post #7 of 24 Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 PM
BGM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlorian View Post
Can someone here please let me know how I can permanently disable the running daylights on my 2017 Murano SL? Thanks
Brother, when you find out please let me know. I want to turn mine off too.

And to those who ask *why*. Well, same reason why I don't have *dry weather running windshield wipers*, *no traffic for miles constantly beeping horn* or *full speed ahead running brake lights*. The name says it all, the evil invention of a moronic apparatchik, made all the worse by car companies that insist on having high beams blinding everyone coming and going (Toyota, I'm looking at you specially, may all your cars break down).
post #8 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post

And to those who ask *why*. Well, same reason why I don't have *dry weather running windshield wipers*, *no traffic for miles constantly beeping horn* or *full speed ahead running brake lights*. The name says it all, the evil invention of a moronic apparatchik, made all the worse by car companies that insist on having high beams blinding everyone coming and going (Toyota, I'm looking at you specially, may all your cars break down).
Are you saying that DRLs do not have a safety value? Do they not make you more visible to other drivers? And what's your opinion of anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, forward collision avoidance systems? I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.

2017.5 Pearl White AWD Platinum with Technology Package
post #9 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar55 View Post
Are you saying that DRLs do not have a safety value? Do they not make you more visible to other drivers? And what's your opinion of anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, forward collision avoidance systems? I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
If this guy see me with my lighting, especially the rear end lit up and the hi-light blinking at him, he'll probably run me off the road!

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #10 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 12:49 PM
BGM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
That is exactly what I'm saying my friend. DRLs, far from being a safety feature, actually are a big hazard. DRLs were not thought of at MB or Volvo safety research labs but actually were the brain fart of Canadian - and later Scandinavian - apparatchiks just making one more rule and regulation. The idea was that during winter time in the North daylight is only a few hours and even then it can be overcast and grey. Of course, the apparatchiks thought people were too stupid to turn on their own lights so they mandated the supremely idiotic concept of DRLs. Nowadays some people still forget to turn on their lights but now many of them just think *my car has DRLs, I don't need to worry about lights anymore*. Where I live, Virginia, USA, people are big fans of DRLS if you don't see half a dozen cars at night with their main lights off, you don't see any.

Second problem with DRLs are their implementation. Who here hasn't been blinded by full on (though they claim they're *dipped*) high beam DRLs on BMW 3 series, Lexus RX & ES, Toyota Rav4, Camry and Corolla, Mazda 3,5,6, Subarus of all kind, Honda Accord and Civic and many, many, many others. Japanese car makers are the biggest culprit and, lo and behold!, they don't flood their own Japanese home market with this dangerous joke.

I assume you ask about ABS, stability control, etc tongue in cheek. I don't have a problem with them as I don't have a problem with seatbelts, crumple zones, third break light, fuel shut off or any of the other REAL safety features.

Again, give it some thoughts guys: having your lights on during the day is just as logical and safety oriented as having your windshield wipers on when it's not raining.

Last thought and I'll stop ranting: with the advent of auto lights (our own Muranos have them) the initial *logic* behind DRLs has gone away. Now there's a sensor that can turn on your lights when it gets too dark. No need to have a Toyota's high beam DRLs blinding you on a perfectly clear day.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
DRLs catch my eye, and in my opinion help me take in a field of moving objects better.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
3rd Gen uses LED strips as DRL while 1st and 2nd Gen use fog lights, no big problem IMHO. I understand not all vehicles are created equal and yes the latest Corolla can be kinda bright with its LED headlamps! We've had DRL for about 30 years here North of the border and the most popular system was to power the high beams in series reducing the light output and increasing the life of the bulbs as they were working at half their rated voltage. Not dipped but rather dimmed and yellow.

I also see a lot of cars at night with just the DRL; because the dash is illuminated people think their headlights and taillights are on (Typically Civic, Elantra, etc.). Or just the parking and side markers. Auto headlamp is nice provided the driver puts the switch in the auto position! We're not gonna win at this game...we're dealing with humans.

The shop manual shows a DRL relay under the hood, try unplugging it.

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Back in the late 70's early 80's, the company I worked for went to a "lights on for safety" program. This was before the preponderance of DRLs. The thought being that running with lights on would decrease accidents. They went so far as to wire up every new car and company truck so that the lights came on when the vehicle was started. They worked exactly like today's DRLs. We did this for 5 years. The conclusion after 5 years...it made absolutely NO difference in the accident rate. It was discontinued throughout the company.

I hated the early attempts at DRLs and for that reason would not buy a GM product that forced us to have them. I have changed my mind with the new LED running light strips on most new cars. I think a lot of them are attractive and eye catching. Safety wise...not so much.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #14 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post

The shop manual shows a DRL relay under the hood, try unplugging it.
You can't, the DTRL relay is not serviceable, meaning you cannot remove it, it is part of the fuse box. If you try, you will break it...

Again, the DTRL are controlled entirely by the computer, there is no serviceable part as far as the driver. The reason they made it that way is that so that people don't mess with it, since it is a safety feature.

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
post #15 of 24 Old 01-27-2018, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by assad View Post
You can't, the DTRL relay is not serviceable, meaning you cannot remove it, it is part of the fuse box. If you try, you will break it...

Again, the DTRL are controlled entirely by the computer, there is no serviceable part as far as the driver. The reason they made it that way is that so that people don't mess with it, since it is a safety feature.
Today's DTRL are nothing like yesterday's DRL's, which I hated and disabled on my wife's Rav4 by swapping the relay. But in all my years of driving, NYC - Hartford daily, I can't say that I was ever blinded by a car with DRL's in the daytime.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: