13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 38 Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Not an idiot - that issue of different tires based on the wheel options might not have occurred to any of us. It was perceptive of User8 to point out the difference. I didn't catch it either until he was specific about the tires.

There's more at work here, too. IIRC the 3rd model Murano has electric steering, not hydraulic. Most cars with electric power assist are not noted for road feel at all.
My 2015 Murano has electro/hydraulic power steering. A hydraulic power steering pump is powered by an electric motor, instead of an engine belt, to circulate the power steering fluid that moves the steering rack.

On an all electric power steering system, such as on my 2013 Avalon, there is no hydraulic pump or fluid. An electric motor directly moves the steering rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have the origingal Toyo Open Country H/T tires on my 2016 and now have 25,000 miles. I'm really happy how they handlle the road and the feel they give you.

Have used Michelin on past vehicles and was always happy with them. Bridgestone once and never again.
post #18 of 38 Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den49 View Post
My 2015 Murano has electro/hydraulic power steering. A hydraulic power steering pump is powered by an electric motor, instead of an engine belt, to circulate the power steering fluid that moves the steering rack.

On an all electric power steering system, such as on my 2013 Avalon, there is no hydraulic pump or fluid. An electric motor directly moves the steering rack.
Thanks for the additional detail and correction. I checked and the Murano does indeed have that system. I'm not sure whether that maintains the road feel common to better hydraulic systems or not.
Den49 likes this.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 Old 02-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Swinging back to this thread, I finally replaced the junk CrossContact LX'ers for Michelin Premier LTX and oh boy, what a difference. The hype is real. Believe it. Way more smooth, better grip, better steering feel.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
post #20 of 38 Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Swinging back to this thread, I finally replaced the junk CrossContact LX'ers for Michelin Premier LTX and oh boy, what a difference. The hype is real. Believe it. Way more smooth, better grip, better steering feel.

I couldn't agree more. I had them on my 2003 Murano. Loved the way they rode.

You'll see I went the same way, just a little wider. I lasted 3,100 before I got rid of those OEM Bridgestone's.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #21 of 38 Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

BTW folks, on most cars wheels of different diameters will have different sidewall profiles. That can make a BIG difference in the road feel and the ride.

If (for example) an 18" wheel used a 50-series profile and a 20" tire used a 40-series or 35-series profile, I would be surprised if those wheels didn't produce a very different steering feel and ride on the same car.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #22 of 38 Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
BTW folks, on most cars wheels of different diameters will have different sidewall profiles. That can make a BIG difference in the road feel and the ride.

If (for example) an 18" wheel used a 50-series profile and a 20" tire used a 40-series or 35-series profile, I would be surprised if those wheels didn't produce a very different steering feel and ride on the same car.
I think that most of the people here have stuck with the same size tire and still have a noticeable difference in feel and handling over the OEMs that came with their Murano.

Have a good day.
Den49 likes this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #23 of 38 Old 03-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No clue why Nissan doesn't opt for Michelin's on the Platinum model anyway. They can find a way to cover that cost difference, but if you want to deliver the true "Premium feel" you have to have premium tires. My Altima SE-R had Bridgestones as does the Platinum Murano & once I went with Michelin's the road noise, reliability & longevity of the tire was incredible. Once these factory tires wear out, I am upgrading to Michelin. With the Discount Tire card, the price difference is barely noticeable as you can pay if off in a year and they last for several!
Den49 likes this.

/)@rrIc/<
post #24 of 38 Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
When you get to be in your late 60's you welcome no road feel. I don't want to feel anything but smoothness and riding on a cloud.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #25 of 38 Old 03-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
When you get to be in your late 60's you welcome no road feel. I don't want to feel anything but smoothness and riding on a cloud.
I fully understand!

However, I bought my Murano because it was the quickest and had the best handling of the used crossovers that I researched and tried.

I'm coming up 68 this summer; I like my 2008 BMW 3-series wagon with its six-speed manual transmission and its excellent road feel better than ever. My eyes light up when I see a "twisty road" sign and I go down a gear, then look for an apex to charge. I much prefer a car with responsive handling and excellent road feel. So does my lovely wife, who drives an 09 BMW 3-series coupe.

Now I'm going to take my 1983 280ZX Turbo out for a drive. I just finished installing a new stereo in it to replace the one I put in 20 years ago. The new one has bluetooth phone and Android connections, USB music capability and more EQ options.

Different strokes, and all that.
KBrian likes this.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #26 of 38 Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post

Great minds think alike! I'm 64 and I had my share of noisy, harsh riding and small underpowered vehicles. That's why I picked the Murano for the 2nd time in a row; I think I could use an even softer and quieter ride but not willing to change the tires at this time (I've done this before on many vehicles as most OEM rubber sucks). I have the Conti LX Sport, nothing sport about them...but better than the Eagle LS I had on my 2014. Dead center feel is bad, seems disconnected but I'm getting used to it a little bit.
Den49 likes this.

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #27 of 38 Old 03-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Great minds think alike! I'm 64 and I had my share of noisy, harsh riding and small underpowered vehicles. That's why I picked the Murano for the 2nd time in a row; I think I could use an even softer and quieter ride but not willing to change the tires at this time (I've done this before on many vehicles as most OEM rubber sucks). I have the Conti LX Sport, nothing sport about them...but better than the Eagle LS I had on my 2014. Dead center feel is bad, seems disconnected but I'm getting used to it a little bit.
Totally agree. I replaced the 14,000 mile OEM Continentals with Michelin Defender LTX tires. It is amazing how much the Michelins improved the ride and handling of my 2015 SL.
post #28 of 38 Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post

Thanks for your post! Do you still like them? I did a lot of research and the most common complain is short tread life. The tread is not as deep as most tires and the compound is soft; it's almost like a high performance tire. I'm quite tempted to get them as I also have Contis on my SV which are average at best, I don't do a lot of mileage and I have Blizzaks for the winter. Also considering the new Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus as mentioned in another post.

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #29 of 38 Old 10-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Thanks for your post! Do you still like them? I did a lot of research and the most common complain is short tread life. The tread is not as deep as most tires and the compound is soft; it's almost like a high performance tire. I'm quite tempted to get them as I also have Contis on my SV which are average at best, I don't do a lot of mileage and I have Blizzaks for the winter. Also considering the new Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus as mentioned in another post.
So far, so good. I have around 10k miles on them. Tread doesn't *appear* to be declining any faster than a normal all-season tire, but another 10k miles or so will give me a better idea. I'm still reminded of how utterly more capable they are every time it rains and I don't spin like mad. With minimal treadwear on the Continentals, they became what I would consider to be unsafe in the wet.
Freedom55 likes this.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
post #30 of 38 Old 10-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Also considering the new Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus as mentioned in another post.

Those are good tires. I had them on my 2012. I'm probably going to go with an "All Weather" tire instead of all season. The 2 I'm considering are the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and the Toyo Celsius SUV. I'm looking at ratings to see which will probably be the better tire. I really don't like the OEM Bridgestone Duelers. They are noisy and don't have much grip.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: