8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The Defender and Premier LTX have excellent reviews but are different tires. If you're happy with the Defender you should enjoy longer tread life as a bonus and possibly better traction in deep snow. Some members here found them too noisy and switched to Premier LTX. Then again the Continental and Bridgestone are not that quiet either! It all depends what each owner wants. In a better world, I want quietness, better traction and more precise steering response hence looking for top quality H or V speed rated tires.

I hear no noise at all.

@Robotazky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I hear no noise at all.

@Robotazky

That's good to know. Just curious (since results can vary) what size are you running? Thanks!

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
That's good to know. Just curious (since results can vary) what size are you running? Thanks!

235/65/18

@Robotazky
Freedom55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
The Bridgestones that came on my '18 Platinum are horrible! Nissan should be sued for putting them on the car, and Bridgestone should be sued for making them. It's a shame that I'm going to have to spend $1,000 to replace tires that are basically new. Very disconcerting.
Freedom55 likes this.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #20 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
The Bridgestones that came on my '18 Platinum are horrible! Nissan should be sued for putting them on the car, and Bridgestone should be sued for making them. It's a shame that I'm going to have to spend $1,000 to replace tires that are basically new. Very disconcerting.
I totally agree. I got rid of mine before they hit 3,000 miles. At least I was able to get $500 for them when I sold them, to a guy from NJ who drove up with a beat up 2005 Murano. He was happy, considering he had two tires that were showing thread, and drive to my local tire shop to have them installed and a 4 wheel alignment before driving back home.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #21 of 27 Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post

I just replaced the Continentals on my Ď18 with 3,000 miles on them. Itís almost as if tire makers are making OEM for car makers that are lesser quality.

@Robotazky
Freedom55 likes this.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I just replaced the Continentals on my Ď18 with 3,000 miles on them. Itís almost as if tire makers are making OEM for car makers that are lesser quality.

@Robotazky

You're absolutely right! In the past 20 years, I've had 7 new vehicles and I changed the tires for better ones soon after; they were either loud and stiff or had poor traction. Only my current vehicle still has its OEM rubber as I don't drive much anymore. Some Lexus RX350 and Cadillac XT5 come with Michelin Premier LTX, an exception to the rule...

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
You're absolutely right! In the past 20 years, I've had 7 new vehicles and I changed the tires for better ones soon after; they were either loud and stiff or had poor traction. Only my current vehicle still has its OEM rubber as I don't drive much anymore. Some Lexus RX350 and Cadillac XT5 come with Michelin Premier LTX, an exception to the rule...
Exactly right. Manufacturers are looking for the lowest cost tires that meet minimum standards for the OEM. Our 13 Edge came with Michelins. We replaced them with Michelins at 65,000 and sold the vehicle with the second set on at 110,000 with plenty of tread left. That is the way tires should perform!
post #24 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Depends on what you're looking for. I like the twisties and think cornering is much of the fun of driving. I also consider tires to be expendable. I'd rather compromise on time mileage and have tires that like cornering and provide good traction on wet roads. Both of those characteristics tend to come with a bit softer rubber. If I get 40K out of tires on a vehicle like a Murano or Grand Cherokee I'm happy. Of course, highway miles are easier on tires than twisty road driving, so it depends on what route you drive as well.
Freedom55, KBrian and PaulDay like this.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #25 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. I like the twisties and think cornering is much of the fun of driving. I also consider tires to be expendable. I'd rather compromise on time mileage and have tires that like cornering and provide good traction on wet roads. Both of those characteristics tend to come with a bit softer rubber. If I get 40K out of tires on a vehicle like a Murano or Grand Cherokee I'm happy. Of course, highway miles are easier on tires than twisty road driving, so it depends on what route you drive as well.

Same here. If you want the best handling, I recommend Michelin Premier LTX. If you want taller tread, Defender LTX.

@Robotazky
post #26 of 27 Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Agreed. I'm a flat-lander and mileage and wet traction are most important to me, followed by snow traction. There's a reason companies make so many types of tires.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keep in mind, if you have AWD, and get more than 3-5k on new tires, and you get a blowout in any tire, or a screw anywhere except the middle tread, on any tire, or you get a bolt in a tire that cannot be fixed, you will need to replace all four tires. AWD systems have to have the same tread amount or really close on all four tires, or it can harm the AWD. What sucks even more is that even if you get a nail in the sidewall or even in the outer edge of the tread, tire shops won't fix it due to it "damaging the stability of the tire", which is debatable when the puncture is in the outer tread portion, but not so debatable on the sidewall.

That being said, expensive $1000 tires that are meant to be an investment over 4 years or so, can turn into a sudden $1000 emergency bill from a tire place. This is one of the very few times I would say buy the tire warranty, and make sure it covers this kind of situation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: