User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 67 Old 04-11-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Forward Collision Warning fails

This device is really sensitive. Whenever I'm driving in rain/sleet around freezing it seems, and sometimes even rain when it's cold, this device shuts off and the cruise control doesn't work either. I wish there was something that could be done about it but I'm doubtful. Some cars have the sensor mounted behind the windshield above the rearview mirror, so it's not affected by the elements.

2017 SLAWD Platinum Java/Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Yup. Had a lot of situations like that in heavy snow, and rain.

I think that overall it's pretty good, and reasonable in those situations - but annoying that you cannot use cruise - however I think of the other side, and that is it needs to be disabled as it's having trouble making the determinations that we need it to make regarding braking and cruise!
post #3 of 67 Old 04-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I think it's mounted low because it has a feature in which it bounces the radar signal beneath the car in front of you to detect if the car in front of that car is slowing down rapidly.

But yes, I would have preferred it mounted higher as mine shuts down even at the slightest sight of wet snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Snow and cruise is not a good mix. I would feel safer if no cruise worked when roads were snowy or wet.
Sanlopez likes this.
post #5 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
do you guys have the 15 model year? I have 15 and have the same issue. I heard the 16-18 sensors are different and are better mounted? I'mnot so sure if this is true? can anyone confirm?
post #6 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have a 2017.5 model year...still has the same problem...
post #7 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have the 2017.5 model and I’ve experienced the same issue in snow/heavy rain. I don’t see this as a “problem”, but rather the nature of the technology during inclement weather. I would not want to engage cruise control in bad weather - even if I could.

Dan
Westborough, MA
2017.5 Murano Platinum - AWD - Artic Blue Metallic
2019 Toyota Highlander XLE
post #8 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM

On my 15 the radar/sensor is mounted on the bottom of the grille (lower part of the bumper), where snow, dirt, etc can easily form. Its kind of sad, I think, since this technology was on my 05 Infiniti Fx35, with the same mounting point and all. You've to think Nissan would improve this after all these years.

In the note, if this is an issue or not, for me it is. When I experienced this, my cruise control is not on. It just told me that this functionality is disabled and gave me the annoying yellow/amber sign on the dash. I dont like my dash to look like a christmas tree with all those lights on ...
post #9 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have the same with 2017.5. But it is not that cruise control that is disabled, which I agree should not be used in those conditions, it is emergency braking and warning that are being disabled that's not good.
[email protected] likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have a new 2018 Murano SV with the premium package and FCW and AEB. How do I know if the system is working? I apparently have not been in a situation to notice if it is working but thought a couple of times it should have given me a warning. Does it only work with cruise control enabled?
post #11 of 67 Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
I have a new 2018 Murano SV with the premium package and FCW and AEB. How do I know if the system is working? I apparently have not been in a situation to notice if it is working but thought a couple of times it should have given me a warning. Does it only work with cruise control enabled?
Its working unless it tells you its not. It will sound a long beep and say cruise has been disabled and status LED lights up. on the gauge cluster.
post #12 of 67 Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
You can test it this way very easily.

When a car is signaling a right turn in front of you, don't have your foot on either pedal. As the car in front starts to make the turn, if you're close enough, the system will beep, beep again louder and then start to apply the brakes until the car is out of the radar zone.

If you have your foot on the accelerator even a little, it will over ride the warning system. It a little nervy the first time, but you just need to trust it. Also, I wouldn't try this with another car right behind me.

The second way to see it working.

Set cruise control and leave the distance bar at three. As you come upon a car in the right lane, wait until you are about four car lengths away and pull in behind the car. You will feel the car slow down to match the car's speed in front now. If you're close enough and a bit faster then the car in front, brakes will be applied also.

I'm making a 40 mile run frequently. I set my CC to 72 and one distance bar. I go thru two major interchanges and one construction zone and never touch the brakes. I do tap the gas to bring the car back up to speed a little quicker then the CC will do.

A little scary the first time you come up on heavy traffic to just let the system do it's job. I've even had a jerk pull in front of me and slam on the brakes trying to make his exit and misjudged the speed of the car in front of me slowing down also. The system applied the brakes to the point the ABS kicked in and the system kept a distance of about three feet. I was extremely lucky the there wasn't a car close behind me.

I've found it to work just about flawless, although it does shut down in snow, but only a fool uses CC on anything other then a dry road.

Have a good day.
Phil T likes this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #13 of 67 Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Finally got out on a stretch of highway where I could use cruise and test AEB and it indeed does work.
Still not sure if works without cruise turned on? It doesn’t seem to.
post #14 of 67 Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 AM

The AEB will work with the cruise turned off. Will not work if your already on the brakes.
post #15 of 67 Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live in a Midwest snow region and slush, road schmutz, etc. piles into that lower-right-front-side sensor recess at every opportunity, shutting down the FCW in conditions where it might prove especially valuable. It's very annoying.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: