Valvoline Oil Change service issues - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GateKeper
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Valvoline Oil Change service issues

Hey Guys,

I took my 17 Murano in for an oil change on Friday to Valvoline since I am always short on time and the closest dealer is 45mins away.. The manager explains the oil change then pulls out the air filter and shows that it is really dirty, he then asked me if I wanted to swap it out, I said it was fine, so a day after the car was feeling sluggish and making a weird noise, I did not know what it was about, so I scheduled an appointment with the dealer 3 days after oil change, The dealer checked it out and told me that I was driving without an air filter, and the compartment was left open. They charged me $150 for diagnosing and a new air filter, and said that there was no check engine light on, but there is a possibility that the mass flow sensor could of went out, to be on alert for a check engine light, I've submitted a complaint and a request for reimbursement from Valvoline, what else should I be doing about this, and what should I be looking for as far as performance wise. Thank You guys
artsoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
What does Valvoline have to do with the air filter issue?


Did you pay for an air filter change? Is it on the work order receipt from the dealer?

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
What does Valvoline have to do with the air filter issue?


Did you pay for an air filter change? Is it on the work order receipt from the dealer?
Yes I paid for that service
artsoto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
What does Valvoline have to do with the air filter issue?


Did you pay for an air filter change? Is it on the work order receipt from the dealer?
Yes I paid for that service
And its on the dealer receipt that the air filter was missing and placed a new filter
artsoto is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
GateKeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
well go after Valvoline for reimbursement, as you have already stated you are, other than that, if no check engine lights come on and the vehicle operates normally, you just might be good to go, and no other issues will arise.


If something does come up, I would go to another dealer, get it fixed, your vehicle should still be under warranty, just don't mention the incident about the missing air filter.


.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
GateKeper is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I would think if it's specifically listed as a line item for the air filter and the labor then you could try and take it to the shop that did the initial work..


Still not sure why you would complain to Valvoline. Do they have brick and mortar shop where they provide services in your area or something like that? If so I didn't know they did that.


You didn't take it to a NISSAN dealer the first time correct? This is a 3rd party mechanic/shop? You can complain to the BBB. The internet can be a powerful tool. If everything you say is accurate then hit there Facebook page etc. I wouldn't be slanderous but I would tell your story.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
 
GateKeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
OP went to Valvoline for an oil and filter change, at the same time the manager told him the air filter is dirty and should be replaced, OP said OK


Valvoline did the oil and filter but they forgot to put in a new air filter after they took out the old one, and didn't even bother to close up the air filter assembly


OP found the vehicle running rough, took it to Nissan dealer, they diagnosed the problem to be because of a missing air filter, I will assume they put one in, and charged OP the 150 for the diagnostics and a new air filter


OP is right in going after Valvoline for compensation, as they messed up and removed his air filter and did not put in another one...


I don't see a problem with what he wants to do....


.


now I see in OP's original post he told the manager it's "fine" not sure if this means it's fine and don't replace it, or it's fine and go ahead and replace it, but either way, it ended up there was no air filter put in, be it old or new, and the air filter assembly was left open...




.
Sanlopez and Robotaz like this.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
GateKeper is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeper View Post
OP went to Valvoline for an oil and filter change, at the same time the manager told him the air filter is dirty and should be replaced, OP said OK


Valvoline did the oil and filter but they forgot to put in a new air filter after they took out the old one, and didn't even bother to close up the air filter assembly


OP found the vehicle running rough, took it to Nissan dealer, they diagnosed the problem to be because of a missing air filter, I will assume they put one in, and charged OP the 150 for the diagnostics and a new air filter


OP is right in going after Valvoline for compensation, as they messed up and removed his air filter and did not put in another one...


I don't see a problem with what he wants to do....


.


now I see in OP's original post he told the manager it's "fine" not sure if this means it's fine and don't replace it, or it's fine and go ahead and replace it, but either way, it ended up there was no air filter put in, be it old or new, and the air filter assembly was left open...




.
Yes fine=replace it, but I can see were there can be a misunderstanding in the way I worded it.
artsoto is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
I would think if it's specifically listed as a line item for the air filter and the labor then you could try and take it to the shop that did the initial work..


Still not sure why you would complain to Valvoline. Do they have brick and mortar shop where they provide services in your area or something like that? If so I didn't know they did that.


You didn't take it to a NISSAN dealer the first time correct? This is a 3rd party mechanic/shop? You can complain to the BBB. The internet can be a powerful tool. If everything you say is accurate then hit there Facebook page etc. I wouldn't be slanderous but I would tell your story.
Yes, in some cities in this country, they have little shops names Valvoline that focus on small basic car maintenance, like oil, filters, belts etc...... From what I understand these are franchises
artsoto is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoto View Post
Yes, in some cities in this country, they have little shops names Valvoline that focus on small basic car maintenance, like oil, filters, belts etc...... From what I understand these are franchises

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I did not know Valvoline had brick and mortar quick garages. There are none in my area so that was my confusion. Then yes, file a complaint. I understood the sequence of events and the rest of your post.


Posting on there Facebook (politely of course) can certainly go a long way. If you can find there corporate Facebook you can probably bypass the local franchise shop and maybe get a response from there HQ customer service/customer liaison rep.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Broken Arrow, Okla
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Of course I try to do my own oil changes. But if I go to a shop I tell them don’t worry about the air filter.
My filters last 2-3 years and the shops are known for gouging you with the price.

Understand that not all of us are mechanical in nature.
2015Plat is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks guys for all your help
artsoto is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered User
 
Robotaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Valvoline is more expensive than my dealer.
Robotaz is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with an oil change on a different vehicle - they had put the wrong oil filter in and the check engine came on.

took it to dealer who diagnosed and fixed problem- the oil change firm reimbursed me
Kdowdall45$ is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7,468
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
If the air filter housing was "left open", any moron could see the problem in one second after opening the hood. If that's the case, you should get your full diagnostic fee back without having to go to Valvoline. The shop should reimburse you immediately.

If the air filter housing was not left open, then what happened? Accurate reporting helps a lot.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Pilgrim is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome