• 2 Post By GateKeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Valvoline Oil Change service issues

Hey Guys,

I took my 17 Murano in for an oil change on Friday to Valvoline since I am always short on time and the closest dealer is 45mins away.. The manager explains the oil change then pulls out the air filter and shows that it is really dirty, he then asked me if I wanted to swap it out, I said it was fine, so a day after the car was feeling sluggish and making a weird noise, I did not know what it was about, so I scheduled an appointment with the dealer 3 days after oil change, The dealer checked it out and told me that I was driving without an air filter, and the compartment was left open. They charged me $150 for diagnosing and a new air filter, and said that there was no check engine light on, but there is a possibility that the mass flow sensor could of went out, to be on alert for a check engine light, I've submitted a complaint and a request for reimbursement from Valvoline, what else should I be doing about this, and what should I be looking for as far as performance wise. Thank You guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
What does Valvoline have to do with the air filter issue?

Did you pay for an air filter change? Is it on the work order receipt from the dealer?

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post

Did you pay for an air filter change? Is it on the work order receipt from the dealer?
Yes I paid for that service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoto View Post
Quote:

Yes I paid for that service
And its on the dealer receipt that the air filter was missing and placed a new filter
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
well go after Valvoline for reimbursement, as you have already stated you are, other than that, if no check engine lights come on and the vehicle operates normally, you just might be good to go, and no other issues will arise.

If something does come up, I would go to another dealer, get it fixed, your vehicle should still be under warranty, just don't mention the incident about the missing air filter.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 AM

I would think if it's specifically listed as a line item for the air filter and the labor then you could try and take it to the shop that did the initial work..

Still not sure why you would complain to Valvoline. Do they have brick and mortar shop where they provide services in your area or something like that? If so I didn't know they did that.

You didn't take it to a NISSAN dealer the first time correct? This is a 3rd party mechanic/shop? You can complain to the BBB. The internet can be a powerful tool. If everything you say is accurate then hit there Facebook page etc. I wouldn't be slanderous but I would tell your story.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
OP went to Valvoline for an oil and filter change, at the same time the manager told him the air filter is dirty and should be replaced, OP said OK

Valvoline did the oil and filter but they forgot to put in a new air filter after they took out the old one, and didn't even bother to close up the air filter assembly

OP found the vehicle running rough, took it to Nissan dealer, they diagnosed the problem to be because of a missing air filter, I will assume they put one in, and charged OP the 150 for the diagnostics and a new air filter

OP is right in going after Valvoline for compensation, as they messed up and removed his air filter and did not put in another one...

I don't see a problem with what he wants to do....

now I see in OP's original post he told the manager it's "fine" not sure if this means it's fine and don't replace it, or it's fine and go ahead and replace it, but either way, it ended up there was no air filter put in, be it old or new, and the air filter assembly was left open...

Sanlopez and Robotaz like this.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeper View Post
OP went to Valvoline for an oil and filter change, at the same time the manager told him the air filter is dirty and should be replaced, OP said OK

Valvoline did the oil and filter but they forgot to put in a new air filter after they took out the old one, and didn't even bother to close up the air filter assembly

OP found the vehicle running rough, took it to Nissan dealer, they diagnosed the problem to be because of a missing air filter, I will assume they put one in, and charged OP the 150 for the diagnostics and a new air filter

OP is right in going after Valvoline for compensation, as they messed up and removed his air filter and did not put in another one...

I don't see a problem with what he wants to do....

now I see in OP's original post he told the manager it's "fine" not sure if this means it's fine and don't replace it, or it's fine and go ahead and replace it, but either way, it ended up there was no air filter put in, be it old or new, and the air filter assembly was left open...

Yes fine=replace it, but I can see were there can be a misunderstanding in the way I worded it.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would think if it's specifically listed as a line item for the air filter and the labor then you could try and take it to the shop that did the initial work..

Still not sure why you would complain to Valvoline. Do they have brick and mortar shop where they provide services in your area or something like that? If so I didn't know they did that.

You didn't take it to a NISSAN dealer the first time correct? This is a 3rd party mechanic/shop? You can complain to the BBB. The internet can be a powerful tool. If everything you say is accurate then hit there Facebook page etc. I wouldn't be slanderous but I would tell your story.
Yes, in some cities in this country, they have little shops names Valvoline that focus on small basic car maintenance, like oil, filters, belts etc...... From what I understand these are franchises
post #10 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsoto View Post
Yes, in some cities in this country, they have little shops names Valvoline that focus on small basic car maintenance, like oil, filters, belts etc...... From what I understand these are franchises

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I did not know Valvoline had brick and mortar quick garages. There are none in my area so that was my confusion. Then yes, file a complaint. I understood the sequence of events and the rest of your post.

Posting on there Facebook (politely of course) can certainly go a long way. If you can find there corporate Facebook you can probably bypass the local franchise shop and maybe get a response from there HQ customer service/customer liaison rep.

Always Smell it First.

post #11 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Of course I try to do my own oil changes. But if I go to a shop I tell them don’t worry about the air filter.
My filters last 2-3 years and the shops are known for gouging you with the price.

Understand that not all of us are mechanical in nature.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your help
post #13 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Valvoline is more expensive than my dealer.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a similar issue with an oil change on a different vehicle - they had put the wrong oil filter in and the check engine came on.

took it to dealer who diagnosed and fixed problem- the oil change firm reimbursed me
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
If the air filter housing was "left open", any moron could see the problem in one second after opening the hood. If that's the case, you should get your full diagnostic fee back without having to go to Valvoline. The shop should reimburse you immediately.

If the air filter housing was not left open, then what happened? Accurate reporting helps a lot.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: