Dash Cam Installation - Cable Routing - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 07-25-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question Dash Cam Installation - Cable Routing

I've installed a Viofo A129 Dashcam, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I've only installed the front camera. There is a second camera intended for the rear that I'll install this weekend. It requires a single cable to be run from the front camera behind the rearview mirror to the top center of the glass on the back hatch where the camera will be.

How should I route the cable? I'm concerned about tripping or blocking airbags

2015 Arctic Blue SL w/ technology package
Previously: 2006 Brilliant Silver SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkburns View Post
I've installed a Viofo A129 Dashcam, and I'm pretty happy with it. However, I've only installed the front camera. There is a second camera intended for the rear that I'll install this weekend. It requires a single cable to be run from the front camera behind the rearview mirror to the top center of the glass on the back hatch where the camera will be.

How should I route the cable? I'm concerned about tripping or blocking airbags
Had the same issue.

Luckily, it seems you have the sunroof. Make sure your hands are very clean before handling the headliner, which shows every single little mark.

If unsure how to remove any of the following, the FSM shows clip locations and what direction to pull to remove a item.

Open the moon roof only, not the sunroof. Pop out the overhead assembly over the mirror.

Starting where the mirror assembly meets the headliner, feed the straight end of the cable up into the HL. Gently pull the HL down at the overhead assembly to grab the cable. At this time, pull all the cable thru except what is needed to connect the cable to the camera when mounted.

Feed the cable thru the backside of the overhead assembly opening over to the moon roof opening. When pulling thru to the moon roof opening, release the white clip on the PS and run the cable on the other side of it. Pull all excess cable thru.

Gently pull the HL down on the passenger's side. Looking into the opening, you'll see several white clips holding the HL in place. At each clip location, gently pull down until the clip is released.

Tuck the cable up into the HL moonroof opening, placing the cable on the other side of the clips. Failure to do this could cause issues with the moonroof. Pull the excess cable and leave it hanging in the back seat.

Install the rear camera on the back window first. Remove the upper door trim piece.

Pull the center of the upper door seal off across the entire top of the HL. Gently pull down the HL a little off center to the PS. Looking into the opening, you'll be able to see thru to the moonroof opening.

Insert a wire fishing rod/coat hanger thru the opening, aiming toward the moonroof opening. Once thru, tape the cable to the end and pull all the cable back to the rear of the car.

At the top of the rear door, remove the PS wire boot cover ends from the body and door. Insert the cable thru body opening along with the existing wires. Insert a long thin screwdriver thru the wire boot, tape the cable to it, and pull it all thru.

Pull all the cable thru the door opening. Plug it into the camera and wire tie the excess cable.

You will need to create a small notch on the upper door trim where the cable goes to the camera.

Starting at the front, snap/replace anything that has been removed, paying attention to the cable to make sure it doesn't get pinched/stretched along the way.

Start to finish it took me less then 45 minutes and I was screwing around bringing power up to the same area so that I could use the sunglass holder to hold a cell phone and keep it powered.

Hope this helps you out. Let us know how it goes.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires

Last edited by PaulDay; 07-27-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Add additional instructions.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Holy awesome batman, you rock PaulDay. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Barely started and I've already hit problem number one - I can't figure out from the FSM how to access the clips to remove the overhead assembly! But Im determined! [not eyeing the sawzall on the workbench]

post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkburns View Post
Barely started and I've already hit problem number one - I can't figure out from the FSM how to access the clips to remove the overhead assembly! But Im determined! [not eyeing the sawzall on the workbench]
Pull the FRONT edge down first. It's quite tight, then pull assembly towards the front of the car to release.

FSM
INL-57
REMOVAL
1. Lower front edge of map lamp assembly (1) down from headlining by releasing metals clips, then slide forward to clear pawls at rear.
: Metal clip
: Pawl
2. Disconnect the harness connectors from the map lamp assembly and remove.

Hope that helps.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDay View Post
Pull the FRONT edge down first. It's quite tight, then pull assembly towards the front of the car to release.

FMS
INL-57
REMOVAL
1. Lower front edge of map lamp assembly (1) down from headlining by releasing metals clips, then slide forward to clear pawls at rear.
: Metal clip
: Pawl
2. Disconnect the harness connectors from the map lamp assembly and remove.

Hope that helps.

Have a good day.
Bam - removed. Thanks again!

post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just bought a Murano last week as a second vehicle and a Dash Cam was the first thing I did to it. Ordered the same Lukas Model that I have in my Xterra. To do a clean install I went ahead and ordered a 3 foot extension cable at the same time for the rear camera in case I needed to cut it and solder it back together to get it into the rear hatch wire boot.

Went into this install sort of blind since Iíve never worked on a 3rd Gen Murano before and the FSMs are no longer available for download. But I was able to get the overhead console and sun visor off easily enough to fish the rear camera wire over to the driverís door seal. Lukas cameras come with hardwire kits that require constant power and an Acc signal. For power I tapped the auto dimming rear view mirror cables as I knew from previously installing one of those mirrors that it had constant power, Acc power and ground to it.

Running the wire to the back was simple, I just removed the door seals and B pillar trim and used a long trim removal tool to push the wire over and behind the curtain airbags. For the cargo area I removed the 10mm screw in the cargo cover latch recess and the little ring hook to pop the upper cargo trim off. I was also able to pop 2 clips off the rear of the headliner after I removed the seal for the rear hatch. With all that out of the way I was able to pull the 2 ends of the wire boot on the passenger side of the hatch out and thread the extension cable I bought through it and then into the headliner. Plugged it all up, ground a small notch in the trim for the hatch so the wire wonít be pinched and put it all back together.

Finished install

post #8 of 11 Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramness View Post
Just bought a Murano last week as a second vehicle and a Dash Cam was the first thing I did to it. Ordered the same Lukas Model that I have in my Xterra. To do a clean install I went ahead and ordered a 3 foot extension cable at the same time for the rear camera in case I needed to cut it and solder it back together to get it into the rear hatch wire boot.

Went into this install sort of blind since Iíve never worked on a 3rd Gen Murano before and the FSMs are no longer available for download.

You can download the entire PDF for your year Murano from Nissan. $19.99 gives you 24 hour access to download from their entire tech library. Start at the following link by clicking on the "$19.99":

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptsubs.aspx

Once paid, click the following link to search for your year publication:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/find.aspx?dept_id=10

It takes about 30 minutes to download all the PDFs for each year/model that you want to save to your system, YSMV.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM

Thanks for sharing, everyone. I just did my cheap G1W, but need to do Mrs. Penguins Blackvue 2 channel soon.
Besides the A pillars, are there any other airbag locations to watch out for on the 2018?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
Thanks for sharing, everyone. I just did my cheap G1W, but need to do Mrs. Penguins Blackvue 2 channel soon.
Besides the A pillars, are there any other airbag locations to watch out for on the 2018?
Just had a peek under the headliner, and looks like there are side curtains as well. So Mrs. Penguin's rear camera cable will have to go under the headliner closer to the sunroof. On her 2015 it was run up inside the rubber weatherstripping that the curtain likely comes out of (I didn't install it) which is not good.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
Just had a peek under the headliner, and looks like there are side curtains as well. So Mrs. Penguin's rear camera cable will have to go under the headliner closer to the sunroof. On her 2015 it was run up inside the rubber weatherstripping that the curtain likely comes out of (I didn't install it) which is not good.
All you have to do is get it behind the curtain. Once you get it behind the curtain and out of the back of the headliner you can pull on the wire and pull it into the space between the sunroof trim and the curtains inside the headliner.

2015 Cayenne Red AWD Platinum
2011 Red Brick Xterra Pro-4X

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: