17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #61 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
The only underpowered 4-cyl I’ve driven in a modern vehicle is the Rogue.

The Mazda turbo 4 is really nice. I’d love that engine in the Murano.

Honda’s new turbo 4s are really nice, too. Too bad Hondas are built like trash now.
But see the reason for sticking a turbo on it is because it's underpowered in and of itself. All manufacturers are cutting weight and displacement, then adding power back through forced induction. On some applications, it works rather well. On others, it's a paltry substitute for proper displacement and ends up netting similar or worse fuel economy than its 6 cylinder stablemates.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
ends up netting similar or worse fuel economy than its 6 cylinder stablemates.

Have you driven a recent 4-cyl turbo? They are much better engines than just 10 years ago. Leaps and bounds over 20 years ago.

I drove a BMW turbo 4 and never looked back. Ford, Mazda, Honda, M-B. They’re all going that way because it saves gas and has incredible torque.
post #63 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
I drove a Rogue for almost 8 weeks while my Murano was in the shop due to hitting a deer. I had both the SV and then the SL. The biggest problem with that car is the horrible 4 cyl. engine. If it had a 6 cyl, or at least a turbo 4, it would be a much better vehicle. The SL interior was really nice, but the under-powered 4 banger ruins the entire car.
Quote:
Have you driven a recent 4-cyl turbo? They are much better engines than just 10 years ago. Leaps and bounds over 20 years ago.

I drove a BMW turbo 4 and never looked back. Ford, Mazda, Honda, M-B. They’re all going that way because it saves gas and has incredible torque.
Yeah, but dude, it's still a 4-banger. It'll never sound as good as N/A 6-cyl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:

Actually I drive one daily. 2.3L turbo in a Ford Explorer. I get great gas mileage, 25 vs 18 in the 3.5L NA engine. I have plenty of torque, but the engine sounds like a Waring Blender! I start mine up next to a NA 3.5L and it sounds really rough, especially on a cold start.

I also question the longevity. Ford's so-called Intelligent Oil Life Monitor tells me I can go up to 10,000 miles between oil changes, however, I won't go past 5,000 miles.

I've got 35,000 miles on the engine right now. Ask me again at 75,000, if the engine is still operational.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #65 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre199 View Post
Yeah, but dude, it's still a 4-banger. It'll never sound as good as N/A 6-cyl.

I probably sound argumentative, but have you heard a Porsche 944/968 4-cyl? Also, I had two 8th gen Honda Civic Si coupes with the K20 engine that revved to 8,200. All of these engines sound way better than the Murano. The 4-cyl turbo they put in the little BMWs sound awesome, too.

I'm not trying to diss displacement. My first car was a 350 hp Capri 5.0 and I've had fast cars all the way up to a '15 Mustang GT 6-speed. It's just that for SUVs, which require torque to get them rolling, that are designed to haul families, it makes sense to have a lot of gears and a small, torquey, fuel-efficient engine.

I personally would like it if Nissan had a factory exhaust upgrade like Honda and others do. I just don't want to pay for the sound unless it's tuned by the manufacturer.
post #66 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I probably sound argumentative, but have you heard a Porsche 944/968 4-cyl? Also, I had two 8th gen Honda Civic Si coupes with the K20 engine that revved to 8,200. All of these engines sound way better than the Murano. The 4-cyl turbo they put in the little BMWs sound awesome, too.

I'm not trying to diss displacement. My first car was a 350 hp Capri 5.0 and I've had fast cars all the way up to a '15 Mustang GT 6-speed. It's just that for SUVs, which require torque to get them rolling, that are designed to haul families, it makes sense to have a lot of gears and a small, torquey, fuel-efficient engine.

I personally would like it if Nissan had a factory exhaust upgrade like Honda and others do. I just don't want to pay for the sound unless it's tuned by the manufacturer.
I get it, but I'm more so worried about the long term reliability of them. I'll concede with this. They should still keep their tried and true 3.5, but maybe bring that 2.0 VC Turbo that's in the QX50 over to the Murano, and have that as an option. I just left a 4-banger, I certainly don't plan on ever going back to it lol.

'18 Murano SV AWD Premium Package | Gun Metallic Gray (Current)
'15 Rogue SV AWD Std. Equip'd | Magnetic Black (Former)
post #67 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, I have. I owned a Ford Escape Titanium for 2 years. Was smaller, lighter, required premium fuel and STILL returned worse mpg than my Murano. Plus, I drove way more highway miles for my commute at the time than I do now with the Murano. "Eco"boost my a$$. The problem with sticking a small turbo on an suv is that they're spool happy, designed for low-end torque so your average driver gets that rush of torque down low and thinks they're buying a fast car. The downside of course is that turbo spooling = mpg takes a nosedive, and in the case of the "Eco"boost motor/turbo setup, unless you're cruising on the highway at all times and barely breathing on the go-pedal, your mpg sucks.

I don't consider the Escape and the Murano to be direct competitors, necessarily. One of course is a compact, one is a midsize. One has a comfortable ride, one feels like a harsh-riding, suffocating plastic rattletrap. I will never regret trading the Escape in for the Murano for one second!

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
post #68 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 03:07 PM

I’m not much of a fan of the Ecoboost, but the 2.7L in the F-150 with start-stop (which you can defeat easily if wanted), forged internals, etc. is a great engine. I was blown away how nice that little engine is. Pulls very strong and gets 23+ mpg.

Part of me is happy that I have a historic V6 that is very reliable. But considering what some other companies have done with little turbos, I’d really like to see what Nissan can do.

Looks like we’ll get a variable compression engine soon anyway. I just want newer tech and better efficiency.
post #69 of 95 Old 11-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
E-MO, like NiMO......!

I am waiting for the E-MO....! It rhymes well with the NEMO.......

P.M

2015 MO Silver SL AWD with Tech PKG......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #70 of 95 Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Found an article online updated on 11/21/18. Apparently they're streamlining the LED DRLs, flushing out the V-motion grille, and tweaking the taillights. And unfortunately, at least for me, it's rumored that Nissan might put the VC Turbo in it. Link below.

https://www.motor1.com/news/277110/n...esh-spy-shots/

post #71 of 95 Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre199 View Post
Found an article online updated on 11/21/18. Apparently they're streamlining the LED DRLs, flushing out the V-motion grille, and tweaking the taillights. And unfortunately, at least for me, it's rumored that Nissan might put the VC Turbo in it. Link below.

https://www.motor1.com/news/277110/n...esh-spy-shots/

I can’t imagine them changing engines in this models only refresh with the new model about 2 years off.
post #72 of 95 Old 11-24-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I can’t imagine them changing engines in this models only refresh with the new model about 2 years off.
I agree. I think any changes should've been done on the '18.

post #73 of 95 Old 11-25-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
No MO 4-banger turbo!
JeanPierre199 likes this.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #74 of 95 Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Kind of interesting, but looks like the 2019 Rav4 has some new engine options. Their sportiest version is the AWD hybrid version, with a 2.5L NA, high compression engine mated to electric motors in all wheels. I know they had the hybrid Murano, but that had some ****y single electric motor inline with the transmission. Might be a neat idea if they would do something like Toyota.
Robotaz likes this.
post #75 of 95 Old 11-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
No MO 4-banger turbo!
Agreed. They need to keep it N/A 6-cyl.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: