User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pilgrim

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Tire Rubbing Sound And Lurching At Low Speed, Updated! CVT is done!

Took my new to me Murano on its first road trip to Florida and back a couple weeks ago. When I returned I parked it at home then took off out of town again in my other vehicle.

First time I drove it when I got back I heard what sounded like something rubbing on a tire. Got out and checked, all tires were fine, nothing was loose around them. Iíve also noticed while going through parking lots at low speed around 1,000rpm it will shudder and lurch forward until I give it more throttle. This has gone on for about a week now and the noise has not gone away. The noise is constant and does not come and go with throttle input / cruising which leads me to believe itís either the CVT, CV axle or the diff/ transfer case (AWD).

Has anyone experienced this? This is my 6th Nissan but my first with a CVT. I called the dealership and confirmed the CVT and the CV axles are covered to 60,000 (Iím at 55,000) just curious if Iím looking at a couple hour wait or a few days once I take it in.

2015 Cayenne Red AWD Platinum
2011 Red Brick Xterra Pro-4X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Who knows on the wait. Iíd just be praying they figure it out and fix it.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
The good news is that you got this on record with Nissan inside the warranty period. If the noise is as consistent as you indicate, they ought to be able to find it.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Took it in. Tech heard the same thing I've been hearing was when he pulled it in the shop. They put it on a lift and checked around the wheels for anything rubbing then gave it some throttle with wheels off the ground and immediately said it needed a transmission from the noise it was making. They are having to send computer scans and video etc to Nissan to authorize the replacement and also authorize the rental car so I can go home. Hit 57,000 on the way here. Good thing it happened now and not in a couple months! Still kinda bummed it happened less than 2 months after I bought it.

They must go through a lot of these CVT transmissions. I got here before they opened this morning and walked around looking at some of the new cars on the lot. Came across a group of 8 CVT transmission cases all marked "core" just chilling in the parking lot.

post #5 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramness View Post

They must go through a lot of these CVT transmissions. I got here before they opened this morning and walked around looking at some of the new cars on the lot. Came across a group of 8 CVT transmission cases all marked "core" just chilling in the parking lot.

That is not comforting to hear.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
That is not comforting to hear.
No kidding!!! Not something that builds confidence.
Robotaz likes this.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Now when you guys mention lurching at slow speeds, are you referring to that slight surge feeling you get when you're coming to a stop and the CVT disengages engine braking? Because I get that. Or is it something else?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
Now when you guys mention lurching at slow speeds, are you referring to that slight surge feeling you get when you're coming to a stop and the CVT disengages engine braking? Because I get that. Or is it something else?
Not to speak for the OP. But I know exactly the description above and what your referring to.

For me and a few others, and it sounds like the same for the OP, is at low speed around 20MPH and low RPM's around 1000. When or if you hit the gas ever so slightly as if your in stop and go or very slow traffic the car will start lurching and bucking. It would continue to do until you let of the gas. I always let off, so I do not know if you smashed the pedal if it would stop or not. Once it started, at least for me, if I did nothing the lurching and bucking would get worse and worse. It seriously feels like something is getting ready to drop from underneath the car.

Once it happens and you can duplicate it you will have no doubts that it is not normal. It is not the engine/CVT braking you are referring to.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 PM

Lurching and bucking at low rpm, low throttle, speeds 20 mph and under: valve body.

If it just has some fine vibration through the wheel, pedal, and seat, that to me is normal and I have/had a 2016 Plat AWD and a Ď17.5 S 2WD. Both had the same vibration, even at idle in the wheel and pedals. I happen to like the little bit of vibration. Reminds me I have a large V6 under the hood.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Great. Thanks for clearing it up. I myself have been very hesitant believing Nissan tech that the strong level of CVT braking and release when coming to a stop is normal. I can't imagine they programmed it like this. At times it almost impossible to come to a very smooth stop without feeling the engine brake releasing. Anyways. I wont hijack this thread...
post #11 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 05:48 PM

Yea, the engine/cvt brake abrupt lurch forward does happen and some would consider normal. What I described, at it was described this way in another thread on page one, is as if your in 4th or 5th gear at very low speed and then hit the gas.

You'll know it when you know man. That's all got.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Tire Rubbing Sound And Lurching At Low Speed, CVT Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
Yea, the engine/cvt brake abrupt lurch forward does happen and some would consider normal. What I described, at it was described this way in another thread on page one, is as if your in 4th or 5th gear at very low speed and then hit the gas.

You'll know it when you know man. That's all got.

Thereís a lunge accelerating at about the same range as the forceful deceleration. Itís the CVT changing geometry and totally normal.

I never cared for the substantial gear-down effect this CVT has, but over time I got to where I accepted it. For one, the throttle is completely closed. Itís not using a drop of fuel as youíre coming to a stop. Two, once you have driven it a lot, it intuitively allows you to use less braking. It actually affected the way I used fuel accelerating in anticipation of the engine braking and fuel cutoff.

I actually love how Nissan has programmed that power train. I just donít trust the people they buy the CVT from.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
Thereís a lunge accelerating at about the same range as the forceful deceleration. Itís the CVT changing geometry and totally normal.

I never cared for the substantial gear-down effect this CVT has, but over time I got to where I accepted it. For one, the throttle is completely closed. Itís not using a drop of fuel as youíre coming to a stop. Two, once you have driven it a lot, it intuitively allows you to use less braking. It actually affected the way I used fuel accelerating in anticipation of the engine braking and fuel cutoff.

I actually love how Nissan has programmed that power train. I just donít trust the people they buy the CVT from.

I don't have an issue with how the CVT/drivetrain is programmed either. I simply learned to adjust to it. I just don't feel comfortable with the reliability of the CVT. Coming from a guy that has had to have the valve body replaced and no other experience or history with a CVT.

Always Smell it First.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the lurching I was experiencing was due to the transmission issue as I had not noticed it prior to the odd sound. I'll know for sure whenever I get it back. Hopefully it will be ready Monday morning. Really want to give them back their Sentra!

post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

New Developments on this. Made a new thread concerning the new issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: