Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   3rd Gen (2015+) (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/121-3rd-gen-2015/)
-   -   Hitch for 2016 for Bike Rack (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/121-3rd-gen-2015/221042-hitch-2016-bike-rack.html)

Dollygirl4491* 09-20-2018 04:08 PM

Hitch for 2016 for Bike Rack

Hey there everyone!

I know this has been addressed here before but couldnít find an answer upon searching the forums.

I have a 2016 and want to put a hitch on it for a bike rack and maybe a basket. I checked etrailers.com and much prefer the look of the Curt over the DrawTite. Both hitches get good reviews. The Curt states that stabilizing straps should be used. Not sure if that is a necessity or just for legal liability. I donít want to (no, I refuse to) use stabilizing straps and wondered if anyone out there is using the Curt hitch without them with a bike rack. I know the tongue weight is greater on the DrawTite but doubt I will ever have more than 100-200 lbs max on the hitch.

So....which hitch to get ....or ...do you guys know of another one that will work without stabilizing staps AND is aesthetically appealing?

Info on a sturdy reasonably priced bike rack would be appreciated as well.

Please post pics too if you got em!

Thanks!

mattski 09-20-2018 08:14 PM

What’s wrong with the Drawtite? Same price and it is perfect fit. I literally just made this decision a month ago and saw no reason to consider the curt given the limitations.

red kiosk 09-21-2018 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollygirl4491* (Post 730694)
So....which hitch to get ....or ...do you guys know of another one that will work without stabilizing staps AND is aesthetically appealing?

Have you looked at the OEM hitch? Hitches for the Gen3 Murano don't get more aesthetically pleasing than this! I never wanted a hitch on any of my cars, but the need for a nice bike rack changed that. I hardly notice the factory one as it's tucked nicely under and behind. Here's a pic from a previous Gen3 Murano hitch thread on this forum. Photo credit to "6shiftin".:)

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Dollygirl4491* 09-23-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattski (Post 730714)
What’s wrong with the Drawtite? Same price and it is perfect fit. I literally just made this decision a month ago and saw no reason to consider the curt given the limitations.

The DrawTite has a different angle to it than the Curt and doesn’t blend in as well. My personal preference on the look. You can see both installed in photos and videos on etrailers.com. Hands down on the DrawTite for tongue weight though.

Thanks,

Donna

Dollygirl4491* 09-23-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red kiosk (Post 730726)
Have you looked at the OEM hitch? Hitches for the Gen3 Murano don't get more aesthetically pleasing than this! I never wanted a hitch on any of my cars, but the need for a nice bike rack changed that. I hardly notice the factory one as it's tucked nicely under and behind. Here's a pic from a previous Gen3 Murano hitch thread on this forum. Photo credit to "6shiftin".:)

Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

I love the OEM but the dealer wants $995 for the hitch and installation and that doesnít include wiring! Looking for a cheaper alternative that looks good. Not sure my husband could install the OEM.....havenít asked how difficult installation is but I know he could the DrawTite or the Curt.

Thanks,

Donna

mattski 09-23-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollygirl4491* (Post 730786)
The DrawTite has a different angle to it than the Curt and doesn’t blend in as well. My personal preference on the look. You can see both installed in photos and videos on etrailers.com. Hands down on the DrawTite for tongue weight though.

Thanks,

Donna

I know... I bought it from etrailer and thought the same thing when shopping and looking at their pics. In actual use, it really is not that noticeable, I have no regrets. I originally thought about OEMhitch for the integrated look, but the cost, smaller 1.25 receiver and lower tongue weight changed my mind. The good news is you can remove the hitch real easy at any time. I would just get the one you like and be happy :)

red kiosk 09-23-2018 02:03 PM

Whoa! that's quite steep. I had no idea it was that expensive!

My dealer wanted me to take delivery of a new car with the included "cargo package" (cover, mat and netting). Told him I didn't want it, but would happily trade it for the factory hitch to close the deal. Next day they tried to push me into accepting an aftermarket hitch, but I had made sure OEM hitch was written on the contract. Then they said the OEM hitch was backordered and I could have the aftermarket installed right away. Said I would be more than happy to wait for the OEM to come in and then take delivery of my car. Miraculously, they found one in stock and had it installed the same day. Hitch wiring was not part of the agreement, but the installer mistakenly installed that too. I was more than happy and now it seem I got a heck of a deal too.

Jim

Dollygirl4491* 09-23-2018 05:47 PM

Mattski,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone that has one. Would love to see any pics you may have if you have the opportunity to post.

Thanks,

Donna

Dollygirl4491* 09-23-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red kiosk (Post 730792)
Whoa! that's quite steep. I had no idea it was that expensive!

My dealer wanted me to take delivery of a new car with the included "cargo package" (cover, mat and netting). Told him I didn't want it, but would happily trade it for the factory hitch to close the deal. Next day they tried to push me into accepting an aftermarket hitch, but I had made sure OEM hitch was written on the contract. Then they said the OEM hitch was backordered and I could have the aftermarket installed right away. Said I would be more than happy to wait for the OEM to come in and then take delivery of my car. Miraculously, they found one in stock and had it installed the same day. Hitch wiring was not part of the agreement, but the installer mistakenly installed that too. I was more than happy and now it seem I got a heck of a deal too.

Jim

Whoa!! Yes you did get a deal. I have a good relationship with the service department at the dealer since I have been using them for 20+ years so I think I am going to see what the hitch alone costs and how difficult installation is. Donít mind paying a little more for the hitch if my husband can install it. Otherwise I think itís gonna have to be the Curt or the DrawTite.

Donna

red kiosk 09-23-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollygirl4491* (Post 730812)
Donít mind paying a little more for the hitch if my husband can install it. Otherwise I think itís gonna have to be the Curt or the DrawTite.

Donna

Here's the hitch instructions for your husband to checkoutÖ

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asis.../U/O/1UO36.PDF

Take care!

Jim

Dollygirl4491* 09-23-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red kiosk (Post 730814)
Here's the hitch instructions for your husband to checkoutÖ

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asis.../U/O/1UO36.PDF

Take care!

Jim

Jim,

Thank you! These are great! I will have him look at them.

Thanks again,

Donna.

mattski 09-23-2018 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollygirl4491* (Post 730810)
Mattski,

Thanks for the info. Good to hear from someone that has one. Would love to see any pics you may have if you have the opportunity to post.

Thanks,

Donna

Here are a couple pics..obviously more noticeable in daylight, but unless you LOOK for it, pretty well tucked in.

nitely 09-24-2018 03:23 AM

I will echo the oem hitch is the best for the MO. My 04 has it - 2 inch. If you can find a used or cheap one on ebay, you can install it yourself - fairly easy. However, if oem is less than 2 inch now, then its your call.

Dollygirl4491* 09-25-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattski (Post 730818)
Here are a couple pics..obviously more noticeable in daylight, but unless you LOOK for it, pretty well tucked in.

Mattski,
Thank you! The pics are great. This helps a lot.

Donna

batch0912 09-28-2018 06:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I bought my 2-inch hitch from U-Haul for less than $300 installation included. Used it twice a week last summer with two bikes in the carrier and never had any issues. See the pics.