Suggestion on winter tires - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 30 Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So I went ahead and ordered Michelin X-ice12 (235/65R18) from Costco. Need to order 18 inch steel rims online as they don't have in store. Will get them installed in 2 weeks as that's the earliest apmt I got.
I tried checking the same on tirerack.com but the shipping was too high.
I also checked tpms for the winter tires but they were $130 each. Didn't knew they were so expensive. Do I have other options or cheaper ones? Can I not use the ones from my summer tires?
Let's see how the winter tires fare against the Ottawa snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Not a great idea to try switching sensors back and forth, because it beats them up and you can have sealing problems. You'll also pay extra for that. You can buy dealer or aftermarket sensors, but make darn sure you get the correct ones at the correct frequency. You can probably spend at least 1/3 less if you go aftermarket.

Rims? I bought OEM wheels used on Ebay. No problem.
Heisenberg likes this.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #18 of 30 Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get the Blizzaks on the rims you like. Unless your going to not wash your truck in the winter they will last for years assuming you clean and dry them before you put them away. One thing your going to HATE being new to winter driving your Murano is that the crash avoidance, cruise and lane assist ALL disable as soon as you hit falling snow. Grrrrr!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cayer View Post
Get the Blizzaks on the rims you like. Unless your going to not wash your truck in the winter they will last for years assuming you clean and dry them before you put them away. One thing your going to HATE being new to winter driving your Murano is that the crash avoidance, cruise and lane assist ALL disable as soon as you hit falling snow. Grrrrr!!

That's true. I already hit it once while I was driving in slow snow. I haven't installed the winter tires yet to reluctant in driving too often. So blizzaks are better than Michelin? From what I read online and some feedback from folks, both are pretty much same.

post #20 of 30 Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
You donít need the TPMS at all. I went 8 years on my Gen 2 without having sensors on my winter wheels. Just live with the light on.
For my new Gen 3, I splurged and bought the sensors to go on my winter rims (I like that you now see individual tire pressures) They were $70 each from Courtesy Nissan online.
Heisenberg likes this.

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #21 of 30 Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I have 18" Blizzaks and I like them. They are surprisingly quieter than the 20" Bridgestones that came with the Plat.

My friend has the Mcihelins and he is happy. From what I've heard... Blizzaks do better in deep snow and Michelin X Ices better on ice....
post #22 of 30 Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I have 18" Blizzaks and I like them. They are surprisingly quieter than the 20" Bridgestones that came with the Plat.

My friend has the Mcihelins and he is happy. From what I've heard... Blizzaks do better in deep snow and Michelin X Ices better on ice....

Good to know. I think here in Ottawa winter I'm going to experience both deep snow and ice. I have to go with either one of the tires, can't choose both
Let's see how they turn out.

KBrian likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 11-14-2018, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Good luck with Costco. LOL
A good tire shop could have provided you with all you need at a reasonable price and everything in stock.
Also better appointments now and when you need to swap in the future.
I like to support small local business not big box corporations.
Costco may be good for bath tissue but not tires IMHO.
Just sayin.
post #24 of 30 Old 11-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I wouldn't suggest getting your rims at Costco because they are universal fit and you can usually find direct fit for a few bucks more from a shop. I've heard some people say that a few bucks extra for direct fit is worth it because you dont have to worry about making sure its hub centric. Especially if you're not doing the swap yourself.

In regards to tires.... I have yet to find a shop that has better prices then Costco does for tires. That's just my experience.
KBrian likes this.
post #25 of 30 Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and got tires and rims installed from Nissan dealer. Just couldn't wait for Costco as my apmt was 3 weeks later. Price wise the dealer was sightly expensive (about $150) but then they did it today itself (just called and got it done).
I also had to get the recall on my car fixed so that saved me a trip. I got the tpms as well from dealer itself ($55 each) as I thought it's worth considering I'll use these tires for 5-6 seasons. I'll cancel the Costco order. Also dealer was offering free storage of summer tires for first season (that's a plus).

KBrian likes this.
post #26 of 30 Old 11-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I went ahead and got tires and rims installed from Nissan dealer. Just couldn't wait for Costco as my apmt was 3 weeks later. Price wise the dealer was sightly expensive (about $150) but then they did it today itself (just called and got it done).
I also had to get the recall on my car fixed so that saved me a trip. I got the tpms as well from dealer itself ($55 each) as I thought it's worth considering I'll use these tires for 5-6 seasons. I'll cancel the Costco order. Also dealer was offering free storage of summer tires for first season (that's a plus).

Good idea with all that snow coming tonight and tomorrow...Just curious to know which tire you finally got. My wife has the Toyo GSi-5 on her Juke and she's quite happy with them; it was part of the deal when she got her car in Feb 2015. They're perhaps a notch below the top ones already mentioned but better than many others. Safe motoring!

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #27 of 30 Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Good idea with all that snow coming tonight and tomorrow...Just curious to know which tire you finally got. My wife has the Toyo GSi-5 on her Juke and she's quite happy with them; it was part of the deal when she got her car in Feb 2015. They're perhaps a notch below the top ones already mentioned but better than many others. Safe motoring!

I got the Michelin X-ice12 235/65R18 with OEM steel rims from the dealer itself. So far so good. Handling seems to be fine but I need to drive more to get a feel.

post #28 of 30 Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I also have 18" Blizzaks. I wish I got Michelins but DTD were out of them and I wanted them when they had sale. Blizzaks are WAY-WAY-WAY noisier than Bridgestones that came with my Platinum (20"). And when it is wet road, man they are loud. My wife immediately asked "what is that noise? Can't be the winter tires!" She has X-Ice3 on her sedan and they are much better (quieter and better handling but handling may be due to it being sedan and low profile tires).
KBrian likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

$55 per sensor is a lot. I got mounted Blizzaks with alloy wheels from Discount Tire Direct and sensors were $25 each. They work fine (just like OEM).
Discount Tire likes this.
post #30 of 30 Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:

After saying that Blizzaks are way noisier, I stand corrected. After switching Blizzaks back to stock all seasons, I see that it is dependent on the surface. On the very smooth fresh asphalt (especially wet), Blizzaks are extremely noisy. However, it seems like on rougher asphalt, stock tires are noisier.
Pilgrim likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: