1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kstarr

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Murano 2017 Moonroof leaking

So, maybe I have it wrong but hopefully someone can confirm it or not.

Recently I noticed when in the car wash I could hear water running. I could not find any leaking at first, then I put my fingers up in the track where the moonroof is. I could feel the water coming in. This only happened on the drivers side.

I took it to the dealership, they confirmed the issue and ordered a whole new moonroof, which I guess is the fix for moonroof issues. A month and a half later it gets replaced.

2 days later I take it to the car wash again to test it, even though they say they tested it, and again I can hear the water flowing. I reach up in that track inside and can feel the water flowing, and now it is even coming in on the passengers side.

I bring it back to the dealership, they look at it, but this time they tell me that is suppose to work that way.

Is that right, is water suppose to come into the car where I can see and feel it, and then flow back out? Is that the design?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murano2017Moon View Post
So, maybe I have it wrong but hopefully someone can confirm it or not.

Recently I noticed when in the car wash I could hear water running. I could not find any leaking at first, then I put my fingers up in the track where the moonroof is. I could feel the water coming in. This only happened on the drivers side.

I took it to the dealership, they confirmed the issue and ordered a whole new moonroof, which I guess is the fix for moonroof issues. A month and a half later it gets replaced.

2 days later I take it to the car wash again to test it, even though they say they tested it, and again I can hear the water flowing. I reach up in that track inside and can feel the water flowing, and now it is even coming in on the passengers side.

I bring it back to the dealership, they look at it, but this time they tell me that is suppose to work that way.

Is that right, is water suppose to come into the car where I can see and feel it, and then flow back out? Is that the design?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
There are two transluscent white tubes running from the sunroof assembly down each front windshield post, coming out behind each front wheel.

While on level ground, open the sunroof, pushing the bug screen down, and pour a cup of water into each front corner of the sunroof assembly. You should see the same amount of water coming out behind the front wheels within a second.

Word of warning for all Gen 3 Murano owners:

Design changes in how the tube attaches to the drain tray of the sunroof prevents visual sight of the tube opening. The water is channeled into a blind square channel that the drain tube is attached to.

ANY little piece of leaf or a few pine needles will get caught in this channel and cause a slow drain condition which will let water collect during heavy rain conditions and overflow, dripping inside. When you go and look, because you can't see the actual tube drain, it can look alright. You NEED to do the water test to make sure this is clear and drains quickly.

If the water drains slowly, gently clear the tube using a semi stiff wire, pouring more water to flush any debris fully out of the tube.

This has happened twice to me, once on each side. Hope this helps out.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

So, they where right in saying, water does come inside the cabin and I should be able to reach up and feel it, from inside with the moon roof closed, but it goes outside the vehicle again???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
So, they where right in saying, water does come inside the cabin and I should be able to reach up and feel it, from inside with the moon roof closed, but it goes outside the vehicle again???
If you consider water running thru a tube that goes thru the windshield support column water inside the cabin, then yes.

If you actually have wet fingers when feeling up around the sunroof from inside when closed, then no this is not normal.

To me is sounds like the drainage tubes were not connected properly when replacing the sunroof assembly. If everything is connected and not plugged, you should not see any water up in the sunroof drain pan. All water should be coming out behind the front wheels.

I would suggest doing the water test and see if it comes out behind the front wheel under the car like it should. If it doesn't, then the drain tubes are the issue.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 04:50 PM

Garage
Here's a part's blowout drawing of the moonroof. Notice part # 6, the drain tubes on each side in front. They end up going under the car, in back of the front wheels.

Interesting that there's not rear drain tube in this generation Murano. Gen 1 had rear drain tubes going down the rear posts in back of the rear seats and drained out under the car in front of the back tires.

Have a good day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonroof.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	48134  

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

The water seems to be disappearing somewhere, but it is free flowing into the track on both sides. Like I said, my fingers are soaked with water as I sit in the car wash for example. I can hear it flowing and then feel it.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
The water seems to be disappearing somewhere, but it is free flowing into the track on both sides. Like I said, my fingers are soaked with water as I sit in the car wash for example. I can hear it flowing and then feel it.
So I'm assuming that you haven't done the water test and see if it comes out in back of the front tires? If the water doesn't come out, then it's probably ending up inside the car somewhere and you'll need to find out where to fix it.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The tube that drains the water from the moonroof came loose and water was draining into my floorboards for months. Ruined all the carpet paddings and took months to dry out. To say the least about mold...
Robotaz likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-24-2018, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
I'm having water dripping from the rear center ceiling seat-belt assembly. Seems to follow hard rain, particularly when my 2015 is parked in my driveway, which leaves the front wheels a bit higher than the rear.

PaulDay's parts drawing does show rear drains, is the drawing for the older generation? Maybe I need to start reversing in to park...

'15 Murano Platinum AWD
'01 Boxster S
post #10 of 13 Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am also experiencing water dripping from the rear center ceiling seat-belt assembly.. did you ever solve your issue? I have the 2017.5 murano a little over a year old..
post #11 of 13 Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolachick View Post
I am also experiencing water dripping from the rear center ceiling seat-belt assembly.. did you ever solve your issue? I have the 2017.5 murano a little over a year old..
There are rear drain tubes that I didn't notice with the posting, item # 11, two of them.

They should run down the rear door columns and come out right in front of the rear wheels.

With the sunscreen all the way open, get in the rear seat and using a mirror and flashlight, try to see if there is debris in the corners of the sunroof pan. If there is, use a thin flexible tube taped to a vacuum cleaner hose to suck out the debris.

If there's no debris, try using thin electrical fishing wire or compressed air to make sure the tube is clear. The bottom could be plugged by debris or bugs building a nest in the tube opening below.

If you're parking on the level and this is happening, then your front tubes are not draining properly and should be checked per above post also.

There's another thread posting here that goes into greater detail about this issue with several resolutions.

Have a good day.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #12 of 13 Old 05-20-2019, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fiance’s 2017 Murano has 8k miles on it. We’ve had it about a month and noticed water inside the left rear cargo pocket and in the center spare tire well. It looks. Like the water is entering from behind the pillar and through the interior vent. Depending on the incline the water puddles in the mentioned areas or the left side rear passenger door well. I’m guessing it’s the rear moonroof drain on that side. Amy advice? I initially thought a body seam because I didn’t notice the headliner being wet. Twice I’ve gotten about 2 quarts of water from the puddling areas after using a shop vac. Really disappointing. Hopefully the dealership fixes it properly.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The same thing happened to mine. The dealer said one of the hoses had a kink in it and fixed it. There was standing water in that channel on the driver's side (and a puddle on the driver's footwell, that's how I discovered the whole thing) They said water shouldn't be standing in the channel around the moonroof track.

2017 SLAWD Platinum Java/Graphite

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: