User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 36 Old 12-03-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New transmission or new car?

I have a 2015 Murano SV with 65000 miles. The transmission has died and since I am over 60,000 miles I don't think it will be covered under warranty .It is going to cost around $4000 to repair. It has been a very good car, not too many major repairs until now. Do I fix it or put a downpayment on a new car.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Depends on whether you trust another transmission that failed on you at a ridiculously low mileage. I donít intend to ever own a Nissan CVT longer than 60,000 miles. The fact another one died at 65K and customer is just screwed reinforced my logic.

I would not. I would fix it and dump it. It could fail in 15,000 miles and youíve played Nissanís game (read: Scam) twice.
JeanPierre199 likes this.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if the rest of the car is in good shape, and you can get a good deal on the trans, then the only reason to get a new car is if you want a new car.

I just got my MO transmission replaced by dealer , luckily for me it was under warranty. I plan to keep the car for 2 more years .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'd like to hear from owners that have over 100,000 miles on their CVT transmissions as to how their transmissions are functioning.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I cant imagine that all Muramo CVT fail so early. It must be a small portion. its just that we hear about the failures on the forum because no one is going to start a thread talking about how theirs is still functioning.

I'm curious to know if the 3rd gen CVT failure rate is similar to other transmissions. Anyone know?
post #6 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I cant imagine that all Muramo CVT fail so early. It must be a small portion. its just that we hear about the failures on the forum because no one is going to start a thread talking about how theirs is still functioning.

I'm curious to know if the 3rd gen CVT failure rate is similar to other transmissions. Anyone know?
If you look at the total number of Murano's produced, to the number of reported CVT failures, it is less then .005%, with most failures in the 2003 year.

If you look at the total number of CVT's that Jasco produces, I'm sure that you'll find that percentage number is even lower.

I always keep this little nugget in the back of my mind when reading some of the issues here on the forum:

"A bad experience will get talked about 100 times, a good experience only 10 times."

Have a good day.
assad, Murana, paris83 and 1 others like this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #7 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post

If you look at the total number of Murano's produced, to the number of reported CVT failures, it is less then .005%, with most failures in the 2003 year.

If you look at the total number of CVT's that Jasco produces, I'm sure that you'll find that percentage number is even lower.

I always keep this little nugget in the back of my mind when reading some of the issues here on the forum:

"A bad experience will get talked about 100 times, a good experience only 10 times."

Have a good day.
Sleeping easy tonight.....
post #8 of 36 Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Have a good day.
Great post, thanks for the information.
post #9 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Have a good day.

My own observations say otherwise. I hear about it all the time. Two of the only people I know whoíve had Muranos had the CVT die.

A friend of mine said her mom was getting a new fake-Murano Lexus. I asked her why and she said her momís 2015 Murano transmission went out and will cost $5000 to fix.

People can rationalize it away if they so choose, but a pragmatic person will notice thereís a real problem in my opinion.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What PaulDay's post captures and Robotaz's misses is the idea of sample size.

You may think that since 3 out of 3 (or 100%) of Murano's that you're personally aware of had a CVT problem, means that the 100% of the rest of the population has the problem. But in reality, you're making an assumption on ~200,000 vehicles based on only three (0.0015% of 3rd gen MOs).

I think a pragmatic person would look at a significant sample size to form an opinion.
PaulDay likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at 145k and no issues (knock on metal). was always maintained by dealer.
Richard Evans likes this.
post #12 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
I will tell you that I had 6 Ford Explorers from 2004 to 2016. I had transmission failures in 3 of the 6. Does that mean that 50% of Fords will have transmission failures? Absolutely not. However, I have heard of many more Ford transmission failures that Nissan CVTs. What that shows, is that there are a lot more Fords in this country than there are Nissans.

Point being that anything mechanical can fail at any point in time. Don't draw conclusions from something posted on a forum.
Pilgrim, assad, KBrian and 1 others like this.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #13 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
What PaulDay's post captures and Robotaz's misses is the idea of sample size.

You may think that since 3 out of 3 (or 100%) of Murano's that you're personally aware of had a CVT problem, means that the 100% of the rest of the population has the problem. But in reality, you're making an assumption on ~200,000 vehicles based on only three (0.0015% of 3rd gen MOs).

I think a pragmatic person would look at a significant sample size to form an opinion.

Thanks for that clarification.

I have an electrical engineering degree and a masters in math. I understand sample size, statistics, and infomatics very well.

What I say, and will continue to say, is that my own observations cannot be denied. The probability that Iím in a tiny, isolated 100% sample size, within and relative to a tiny overall sample size with the opposite trends, is statistically much smaller than the transmissions having a relatively high failure rate.

If you ignore the observations of others around you, who have no statistical predisposition to having skewed observations, and instead fall back on speculative conjecture about industry-standard fail rates (which frankly nobody here knows anything about if weíre honest), then I donít know what to say that can help.

I stand by my observations. The CVT is problematic relative to all transmissions, and frankly relative to all car parts that I have ever heard of. The fact that it continues on and is not isolated just rams it home. I will not personally own my Murano after the warranty is up. Period. My wifeís, I expect to dump $5K at any time after the warranty is up and we lived the bad lesson so many seem to have to live through.

This topic is no different than any other fail rate topics on car forums. People want to believe theyíre not next and have a warm, fuzzy feeling about their cars. On some forums, people stating the obvious are attacked (e.g, Mustangs, Civics, etc.). Ask me how I know. Im not in denial. Itís a problematic transmission and I feel that any reasonable person can agree.
post #14 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
My own observations say otherwise. I hear about it all the time. Two of the only people I know whoíve had Muranos had the CVT die.

A friend of mine said her mom was getting a new fake-Murano Lexus. I asked her why and she said her momís 2015 Murano transmission went out and will cost $5000 to fix.

People can rationalize it away if they so choose, but a pragmatic person will notice thereís a real problem in my opinion.
I agree with Paul,

If you go to a Honda or Toyota forum, I bet you will hear the same horror stories about CVT failing early.
I don't think the CVT design changes that much from one car manufacturer to the next, they are pretty much the same, and it has its pros and cons. If CVT bothers you that much, then you should not drive a CVT.

I was on the same boat as the OP, 2015 nissan murano SV, CVT failed early, it was completely dead, the car would not move forward in drive. Took it in, they said CVT needs to be changed, they did not tell me why it failed. But since the change, I am now at 95,000 miles and no issues (touching wood...)

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
post #15 of 36 Old 12-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Wait. Are we talking about the Murano CVT compared to other CVTs? Or are we talking about Murano CVT fail rates in general? Two different conversations.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: