1Likes
  • 1 Post By vortex

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Buy tires at the dealer?

'15 SV with 55k miles. Gonna need tires as well as oil and other routine maintenance. I'd like the dealer to do all of this. How bad will the dealer screw me on the tires? Tirerack has the Encounter HT's for $527 shipping included, highly rated tires. I figure an additional $100 for mounting, balancing, disposal if i have them done at a local tire shop. Is it a bad idea to get tires from the dealer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM
The Phone Booth Fanatic

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesatch View Post
' Is it a bad idea to get tires from the dealer?
Dealer is probably getting them from Tire Rack anyway! Why pay him a mark-up. I purchased my Nokian winter tires off Amazon and got them delivered in two days, plus saved hundreds from what the local Nikon dealer wanted. Find a good tire shop to mount and balance and you'll be good to go.

Take care!

Jim

"The pathologically precise are annoying, but right."

2017.5 Midnight Edition - Pearl White/Charcoal
- Heated Blind Spot Mirrors
- Illuminated Kick Plates
- Interior Accent Lighting
- Morimoto XB-N LED Fog Lights
- Hella Super Horns
- Weathertech Front & Rear Mats
- Color-matched License Plate Frame
- FastFlash Strobe Module on High-mount Brake Light
- Nissan Trailer Hitch
- 25% Tinted Front Side Windows
- 4th Brake Light (EDM OEM Rear Fog Lamp)

2009 LE (Traded In)
post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesatch View Post
'15 SV with 55k miles. Gonna need tires as well as oil and other routine maintenance. I'd like the dealer to do all of this. How bad will the dealer screw me on the tires? Tirerack has the Encounter HT's for $527 shipping included, highly rated tires. I figure an additional $100 for mounting, balancing, disposal if i have them done at a local tire shop. Is it a bad idea to get tires from the dealer?

Is it a bad idea to get tires from the dealer?
Yes

Go to a tire shop.
That's what they do and know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I tend to find Costco has best price for tires. They sometimes have a deal where you can get a $70 Costco rebate when you buy the set. I was looking around for18" Blizzaks and found Costco had the best price. It was something like $40 less per tire plus the $70 rebate. I checked a bunch of tire shops and even a tire shop my employer used for their fleet of cars and none of them could match costco's price or even come close. That's just been my experience..On a side note, they dont carry the rims. You'll have to either get them online or elsewhere. I got mine elsewhere because Costco only had universal fit and I wanted hub centric.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I tend to find Costco has best price for tires. They sometimes have a deal where you can get a $70 Costco rebate when you buy the set. I was looking around for18" Blizzaks and found Costco had the best price. It was something like $40 less per tire plus the $70 rebate. I checked a bunch of tire shops and even a tire shop my employer used for their fleet of cars and none of them could match costco's price or even come close. That's just been my experience..On a side note, they dont carry the rims. You'll have to either get them online or elsewhere. I got mine elsewhere because Costco only had universal fit and I wanted hub centric.
I like to support local businesses not monstrous corporations.
Local tire shops can often give good prices if you ask and certainly better service.
Price isn't everything.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yeah I'm with these guys. Buy the tires elsewhere. The dealership will shaft you sans lube. They're ruthless. I only go to the dealership for the major service or if it's something that none of my local mechanics can fix. That's it.

'18 Murano SV AWD Premium Package | Gun Metallic Gray (Current)
'15 Rogue SV AWD Std. Equip'd | Magnetic Black (Former)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I like to support local businesses not monstrous corporations.
Local tire shops can often give good prices if you ask and certainly better service.
Price isn't everything.
I understand your point 100% but on the contrary, my local Costco supports anywhere between 30-60 local employees. Also relies on local truck drivers. Relies on local stock yards/warehouse who employs local people.

My local tire shop has 4 employees. The owner is rich. The other 3 are making minimum wage.

Plus i like the additional $160 in my pocket and not in John's pocket who lives down the street.

It's not like Costco is China owned and automated. It's a North American business which hires local people.

Just my two cents. I'm in no way a major in economics or finance. I have just learned that money saved and kept in my bank account helps me pay off my mortgage faster....
Heisenberg likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Why speculate?

Call the dealer and get a quote.

I mostly buy through Tire Rack, but I'm open to alternatives. Changing and balancing tires isn't "rocket surgery."

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #9 of 13 Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I only buy from people who use Hunter GSP road force balancing machines to balance my tires. Thatís my only criteria.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I agree with Pilgrim on this. Costco has the best prices, but wait times are the longest from ordering to installation. My Nissan dealer was willing to match Costco's price but only by offering a prepaid Mastercard that would need to be mailed to me in "4-6 weeks". The service manager told me that they would lose 20 dollars per tire to match Costco's deal. I cut them a break and went with Costco. Lots of my friends work there for a decent wage

2016 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Gun Metallic
Bug deflector
Roof crossbars
Cargo protector
Winter floor mats
post #11 of 13 Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
My go to place for tires are costco, sam's club and discount tire. Whoever has the tire I want for less gets my business. I usually wait for sale, discounts (4th of July sale is big in discount tire) unless its an emergency. My daughters car, 2014 elantra only at 31K, needed new tires and got the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus for $369 OTD. with $80 off at Sam's club last Sunday. My other option was the BFGoodrich Advantage Sport T/A for 5 bucks more per tire.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I try to give my business to local tire shops whenever possible. They usually can compete with discounttiredirect and tirerack and beat them by at least a few bucks. If not I'll buy from whichever of the two has the best price and have them shipped to a local shop for install/balance.

Screw the dealers.

2015 Murano SV
Cayenne Red
post #13 of 13 Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ive had good experience with my dealer. I shopped around trying to get a better deal, but my dealer was able to compete price wise. So Ive stuck with them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: