MPG dropped after transmission replaced - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By nitely
  • 1 Post By KBrian
  • 1 Post By Sumit Jain
  • 1 Post By Sumit Jain
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
MPG dropped after transmission replaced

I was getting around 29-30 mpg on the highway with best as 31.4 mpg. I got transmission replaced (within warranty) 2 months back . Now i am getting 22-24 mpg .

Same driver, same driving style and same route ( ~40 miles commute (M-F)) , only change is the transmission.

Any idea what could be wrong? car is driving smooth.

2015 Nissan Murano SV
32,000 miles
Sumit Jain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Registered User
 
KBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beautiful Vancouver Island
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Possible that the transmission will "break in" over the next few months and the mileage will continue to improve. However, I'd suggest keeping a written record of fuel consumption/distance traveled/driving conditions as evidence against a claim with Nissan

2016 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Gun Metallic
Bug deflector
Roof crossbars
Cargo protector
Winter floor mats
KBrian is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Registered User
 
Halwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
I can already tell you that Nissan will say that your mileage is within the acceptable range.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
Halwg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrian View Post
Possible that the transmission will "break in" over the next few months and the mileage will continue to improve. However, I'd suggest keeping a written record of fuel consumption/distance traveled/driving conditions as evidence against a claim with Nissan
Thanks KBrian.
When you say written record, do you mean fuel receipts along with the miles written manually on them ? or is there a good way to keep records?
Sumit Jain is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
I can already tell you that Nissan will say that your mileage is within the acceptable range.
may be Yes Halwg, but i was pampered with excellent fuel economy earlier hence the whining.. On a serious note , i am just worried that mpg won't deteriorate further.
Sumit Jain is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
First gen only get 24 hiway tops. I am not sure if the newer MO is rated for more but it can't be too far from it.

I just swapped out my odyssey transmission with a reman at home and after 2 tank full of gas used, its mpg is the same as before. I don't know why you are getting less. How long have you been observing this since the replacement?
Pilgrim likes this.
nitely is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Registered User
 
KBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beautiful Vancouver Island
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit Jain View Post
.
When you say written record, do you mean fuel receipts along with the miles written manually on them ? or is there a good way to keep records?
For most of my vehicle ownership life, I have kept a vehicle log. While it is arranged to record fuel fillups and distance driven, I include service and repairs as well. I do maintain the factory service booklet that came with my Murano (we have an included maintenance contract with the dealer) but I like having a record of all vehicle activity in one place.

I bought a bunch of cheap, small, bound, lined notebooks a while ago, and I made some columns to record date, location, amount and cost of fuel, distance on that fillup and total distance driven. I also keep track of tire changovers and rotations this way. I sell my vehicles privately usually, and this satisfies buyers' questions about service and repair as well as fuel economy/cost of operation.

I hate a junky glovebox, so this method of record keeping allows me to keep all the service/repair paperwork at home.

Going to your dealer with a history of fuel or oil consumption will mitigate any argument that "its within factory spec" if the record shows a noticeable change in performance over a small time period.

Hope this helps
Sumit Jain likes this.

2016 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Gun Metallic
Bug deflector
Roof crossbars
Cargo protector
Winter floor mats
KBrian is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7,463
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
If your car is within the factory spec on mileage, your records don't matter. It simply IS within specs.

I think the situation is unusual, but you're getting good mileage as is.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Pilgrim is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Registered User
 
AltimaNEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Yeah, sounds kind of weird that it would drop. On the other hand, thats about the same milage I get on the highway.
AltimaNEO is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrian View Post
Possible that the transmission will "break in" over the next few months and the mileage will continue to improve. However, I'd suggest keeping a written record of fuel consumption/distance traveled/driving conditions as evidence against a claim with Nissan
You were right Brian, looks like the new transmission got matured and mileage is much improved now. I started getting close to 28-29 MPG on my same office route:-)
KBrian likes this.
Sumit Jain is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumit Jain View Post
You were right Brian, looks like the new transmission got matured and mileage is much improved now. I started getting close to 28-29 MPG on my same office route:-)

They grow up so fast...
Keyz is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 03-26-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
They grow up so fast...
LOL.. I couldn't found the better word while replying but i guess meaning was clear:-)
KBrian likes this.
Sumit Jain is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome