User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
What is the CVT fluid change schedule?

I can't see to find an online maintenance schedule for the new 2019 Murano with regards to what mileage intervals are recommended for changing the CVT transmission fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-26-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Under normal use (non severe) inspect up to 120,000 miles. If pulling a trailer then change at 60,000 miles. Lots of members of this forum change at 60 to 90,000 miles.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ner-manual.pdf

pages 9-10 9-11
post #3 of 17 Old 01-26-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2young2retire View Post
Under normal use (non severe) inspect up to 120,000 miles. If pulling a trailer then change at 60,000 miles. Lots of members of this forum change at 60 to 90,000 miles.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...ner-manual.pdf

pages 9-10 9-11
I appreciate that, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
I plan to change mine after it hits 60,000. In my 2012, I never got to that mileage, traded it for the 2018 at 56,000. I plan to keep the 2018 longer, since I'll be retiring in the not so distant future. I probably wouldn't go past 75,000 miles.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
I plan to change mine after it hits 60,000. In my 2012, I never got to that mileage, traded it for the 2018 at 56,000. I plan to keep the 2018 longer, since I'll be retiring in the not so distant future. I probably wouldn't go past 75,000 miles.

Thatís the plan with my wifeís. 60K

@Robotazky
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
Thatís the plan with my wifeís. 60K

@Robotazky
What does the dealer typically charge for a CVT fluid change?
post #7 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoVA1 View Post
What does the dealer typically charge for a CVT fluid change?

Probably $200.

@Robotazky
post #8 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
Full "Sealed" transmission fluid flush at home.

I have a 2013 Rav4 that is my wife's daily driver. Recently while having to drive it I noticed a stumble between 4th and 5th when getting on the highway. Went to check the tranny fluid only to find out that the Rav4 has a "Sealed" tranny like our 2015 + Murano's.

After searching and not finding a DIY walk-thru I figured I'd bite the bullet and attempt a full tranny fluid flush at home. Well, it went better then I expected and the Rav4 is now purring like a kitten.

So I went and did a write-up and posted it on the Rav4 Forum for others. Other then specific items like how to check the fluid level, this walk-thru can be used to fully flush almost any "Sealed" tranny and replace a good 98% of the tranny fluid along with the filter.

Here's the link for those interested in performing this job at home on their own.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/123...id-change.html Post 10

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #9 of 17 Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't think we can say the Murano has a "sealed" transmission. The fill-tube is still there (without the dipstick.. I'm thinking of buying /making a dipstick just for fun).
Our local dealer is sending out monthly coupons. Sometimes it has 15%-off "CVT Transmission Service", other times it's $189.88 (normally $229 - $40off).
I will be doing drained/refilled myself.
I also have the Toyota Avalon with the "Sealed" transmission. I'm too old for that... so probably will go to the dealer around 80-90Kmiles. Our local dealer is advertising $199 for the service.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just did mine flush at 25k at home. Overkill but the car drives so smooth like new again.

I also did my FX35, which the OE claimed the transmission is a "sealed unit", "service free" and the fluid should "last a life time". I didn't buy it so I did it at 75k miles. And, oh man. It's dark and very thick. After 3 rounds of drain/fill/run/drain, all the hard/ jerk shifting are gone. It's night and day.

A lawyer friend of mine said they have ever trialed a case against one of the car manufacturer over this "life time" transmission, and he said he literally heard they defended "it's the life time of the warranty, not the life time of the car".

** the pix are from the FX35, not the Murano.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75k Initial drain vs New Transmission Fluid.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	48518   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Flush vs Initial Drain.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	48520   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Flush vs Intitial Drain.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	48522  
post #11 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfan View Post
I don't think we can say the Murano has a "sealed" transmission. The fill-tube is still there (without the dipstick.. I'm thinking of buying /making a dipstick just for fun).
Our local dealer is sending out monthly coupons. Sometimes it has 15%-off "CVT Transmission Service", other times it's $189.88 (normally $229 - $40off).
I will be doing drained/refilled myself.
I also have the Toyota Avalon with the "Sealed" transmission. I'm too old for that... so probably will go to the dealer around 80-90Kmiles. Our local dealer is advertising $199 for the service.
I'm 63 with a broken back/pelvis and spinal cord damage. Constant pain level 4 + in my lower back, and pelvis when I walk. I sport an internal spinal cord stimulator for pain control, I'm allergic to opioids. I can't walk more then a hundred feet or so before I feel like I'm walking on glass and then my legs lockup and refuse to work right until I lay down for 1/2 an hour or so. Then I'm back up to start again until pain forces me to stop again. It makes for some long jobs, but I'm just so dead set against anyone else working on my vehicles that I'll put up with the pain and length of time it takes for me to complete a job.

Plus I know that the job is done correctly and don't have to worry about "Did they really change it or just checked it." going thru the back of my head after getting my car back.

Have a good day.
assad, jptshadow and KBrian like this.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #12 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptshadow View Post
Just did mine flush at 25k at home. Overkill but the car drives so smooth like new again.

I also did my FX35, which the OE claimed the transmission is a "sealed unit", "service free" and the fluid should "last a life time". I didn't buy it so I did it at 75k miles. And, oh man. It's dark and very thick. After 3 rounds of drain/fill/run/drain, all the hard/ jerk shifting are gone. It's night and day.

A lawyer friend of mine said they have ever trialed a case against one of the car manufacturer over this "life time" transmission, and he said he literally heard they say "it's the life time of the warranty, not the life time of the car".
It this a Murano tranny fluid change that you're showing or the FX35? I find it hard to believe that the fluid would be that beat after only 25K, unless towing or really tearing the car up on the road. Your post kind of leaves it up in the air which car the fluid came from.

I'm interested in how long this lasts and if you've checked the tranny fluid after driving several hundred miles to check the condition and how it looks compared to new tranny fluid.

I originally thought of doing it this way on the Rav4, but couldn't stand the thought of leaving any old tranny fluid in the tranny. Plus, to me, it seems a waste of good tranny fluid, which isn't cheap.

By dropping the pan, I was able to remove all the dirt that would have contaminated the new fluid. Having only new tranny fluid in the pan when removing the return hose and letting the engine pump the old tranny fluid out, only new clean tranny fluid is drawn up into the tranny while the beat tranny fluid is being pumped into the waste jug.

The low pressure flow rate out of the return hose while the car is running is about one qt per 5 - 6 seconds, so you don't have to worry about the pan getting sucked dry quickly. I had a helper adding tranny fluid while the old fluid was pumping out to maintain the fluid level in the tranny. Most tranny pans will hold 4 qts of tranny fluid when dry before getting close to the overflow tube, varying upon the manufacturer.

Have a good day.
jptshadow likes this.

20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
All LED Lighting
post #13 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDay View Post
It this a Murano tranny fluid change that you're showing or the FX35? I find it hard to believe that the fluid would be that beat after only 25K, unless towing or really tearing the car up on the road. Your post kind of leaves it up in the air which car the fluid came from.
Yea, it's the the FX35 at 75k miles. After the 2nd flush, though the color only looks slightly less dark, the viscosity is actually a lot thinner as opposed to the initial drain which was obviously thicker. The shift is a whole lot smoother no matter it's up/down shift.

The Murano 25k is actually not too bad, very similar to the new fluid from what I can recall. Both vehicle don't haul things.
PaulDay likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDay View Post
It makes for some long jobs, but I'm just so dead set against anyone else working on my vehicles that I'll put up with the pain and length of time it takes for me to complete a job.
Thaz a true mechanics at heart right there. Full respect for you sir!
post #15 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 PM

I used to do everything, including replacing the tranny on my F150. I donít have room or time anymore. Itís worth every penny to have it done by others. I do check their work. I still have a Bone creeper that allows a quick look.

@Robotazky
jptshadow and KBrian like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: