Keyfob Battery Issues - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Keyfob Battery Issues

My 2016 Murano keyfob showed low battery after 2 years and was replaced. Two months later the same low battery message came up and my car was at the dealership for servicing so the tech offered to change the battery. He felt maybe I had gotten a faulty battery. Now 3 months later I am getting the low battery message again. So my battery has been replaced twice in 5 months and now it says it needs rep,acing again. Anyone having this problem and have found a solution? Most people say their battery lasts 3 years at least in other makesand models of vehicles. I am still under warranty but I know Nissan will give me a fit about replacing my keyfob.
Dawne Law is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Mine only lasted a year before I had to replace it. Seems kind if quick but maybe that's how the battery life on the NFC keys are.

Only thing I can suggest is try a higher quality battery from Energizer or Duracell. Maybe the dealer just popped in a cheap generic one as thats cost effective for them.
vortex is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Try these and let us know:



2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
assad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Registered User
 
KBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beautiful Vancouver Island
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
both fobs usually show low battery after a few months. Dealer has replaced them both twice (no charge) and I have changed them both once in 18 months of ownership. Now, I keep a card full of batteries in the glove box and one in the battery cupboard at home

2016 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Gun Metallic
Bug deflector
Roof crossbars
Cargo protector
Winter floor mats
KBrian is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Registered User
 
mattski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne Law View Post
My 2016 Murano keyfob showed low battery after 2 years and was replaced. Two months later the same low battery message came up and my car was at the dealership for servicing so the tech offered to change the battery. He felt maybe I had gotten a faulty battery. Now 3 months later I am getting the low battery message again. So my battery has been replaced twice in 5 months and now it says it needs rep,acing again. Anyone having this problem and have found a solution? Most people say their battery lasts 3 years at least in other makesand models of vehicles. I am still under warranty but I know Nissan will give me a fit about replacing my keyfob.
Replace the battery in the spare key as well and see if it lasts longer. If it does, the original key has a short or is somehow defective. If they both drain as fast, then you might want to look at where you are storing them: are they in pants, pockets or bags where other things could be pushing against the buttons when you are away from the car?

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
mattski is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The intelligent keys use a lot of power. Why? Because it's always transmitting a frequency. When you press the handle button, the car looks for the specific low frequency and if it finds a match, it opens the door. Again, when you start the car, the car looks for the same. This means that the FOB is always on, thus you have a lot of battery drain. Basically it's active RFID.

Add to this the use of the buttons, remote start, etc.. and you don't have as much time as a non active RFID system before the battery falls over dead.
Drasticmeasures is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drasticmeasures View Post
The intelligent keys use a lot of power. Why? Because it's always transmitting a frequency. When you press the handle button, the car looks for the specific low frequency and if it finds a match, it opens the door. Again, when you start the car, the car looks for the same. This means that the FOB is always on, thus you have a lot of battery drain. Basically it's active RFID.

Add to this the use of the buttons, remote start, etc.. and you don't have as much time as a non active RFID system before the battery falls over dead.
True!
It uses very little power as long as you do not press any button on the fob.


Let's say you always use the door handle to open and close the door, and do not use the buttons on the fob, or do not use remote satrt, then it should last you at least 1year.

Remote start is also a big battery drainer, since you first have to press the close button and hold the remote start for at least 5sec, this will drain the battery faster.

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
assad is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered User
 
Blinky19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
In 5 years Iíve replaced my keyfob battery one time and I pretty much use it every day.

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
Blinky19 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine only says "low battery" randomly... it can go weeks before it will show up, then it will show up every time for a few days, then never again for a few months. I have had mine almost 3 years and replaced neither. It does this with both the main set and extra set *which is rarely used*.

/)@rrIc/<
darrick04 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I just got a low battery on my spare key. I just took it back to the place where I bought my car from and asked them to replace it. After reading this post it sounds like you can simply replace the battery by yourself.

2015 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD + Tech Package
bk3939 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3939 View Post
I just got a low battery on my spare key. I just took it back to the place where I bought my car from and asked them to replace it. After reading this post it sounds like you can simply replace the battery by yourself.
https://youtu.be/rT4gxcRAh2A

Here you go...
vortex is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Keyfob Battery eyal8r General Discussions 1 07-07-2008 01:29 PM
Panic, alarm, keyfob, uh, just weirdness. UncaDanno General Discussions 3 07-27-2007 09:27 AM
We Need A Recall On The Keyfob. Ideas? parker Problems 46 02-14-2007 05:03 PM
Keyfob Housing NELSON Problems 24 01-26-2007 06:05 PM
Keyfob Lock & Unlock options muranolover General Discussions 6 10-31-2003 09:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome