Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   3rd Gen (2015+) (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/121-3rd-gen-2015/)
-   -   Sound Proofing (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/121-3rd-gen-2015/222286-sound-proofing.html)

vortex 03-11-2019 01:11 PM

Sound Proofing

I'm looking into doing some sound proofing this summer. Mainly the doors and hatch. I think I'll skip the floor and roof.

Has anyone taken on this task? If so, how did it work out and what product did you use?

I find the road and wind noise, especially at highway speeds is quite intrusive. Looking to tone it down a bit...

Holger Cordero 03-11-2019 01:58 PM

Here to see if I can pick up some tricks also. Coming from Lexus Flagship Sedan im bothered by the cabin noise. Good thing I don't drive it daily cause it would drive me insane lol. Its so bad that 3/4 the people I talk to on BT complain about too much background noise, not happy about that I make constant calls and I been thinking about a BT Earpiece but just hate the thought of it again.

Woossh48 03-11-2019 02:56 PM

WOW!! Guess I have driven these cheap clunkers too long. I do not notice noises other than the radio. Guess I need to do some road tests.

PaulDay 03-11-2019 03:56 PM

Are you talking about the Murano? One of the quietest cars I've driven and I can safely say that I've driven well over 500 cars, from an old Willies jeeps to Ferrari's and just about everything in between.

I'd have to rate the sound quality of Murano about the same as a 90's limo. Going 72 MPH down the highway, my wife usually has to ask if I'm driving or sitting when using the Bluetooth.

I'd be checking door and window seals if you're experiencing that much road noise. It just doesn't seem right.

Have a good day.

assad 03-11-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortex (Post 738106)
I'm looking into doing some sound proofing this summer. Mainly the doors and hatch. I think I'll skip the floor and roof.

Has anyone taken on this task? If so, how did it work out and what product did you use?

I find the road and wind noise, especially at highway speeds is quite intrusive. Looking to tone it down a bit...

Are you talking about sound deadening?

I did the door and trunk a while ago, this was primarily was my audio system, since the added bass was rattling the frame of the car, it also improve the road noise.

Another user, Upinsmoke also did something similar.

https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...an-murano.html

vortex 03-11-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDay (Post 738120)
Are you talking about the Murano? One of the quietest cars I've driven and I can safely say that I've driven well over 500 cars, from an old Willies jeeps to Ferrari's and just about everything in between.

I'd have to rate the sound quality of Murano about the same as a 90's limo. Going 72 MPH down the highway, my wife usually has to ask if I'm driving or sitting when using the Bluetooth.

I'd be checking door and window seals if you're experiencing that much road noise. It just doesn't seem right.

Have a good day.

Interesting... because there are reviews out there that put the Murano up against competition using a decibel reader and the Murano usually scores pretty much average. It scored lower then even the Ford Edge. Not by much but noticable.

It's by no means a quiet ride. At least that's what I've experienced and also heard from others who have one.

mattski 03-11-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDay (Post 738120)

Have a good day.

Agreed, the Murano is pretty darn quiet. I usually play the radio, but sometimes just admire the quiet ride on the highway. I almost never have the windows open or the moonroof at highway speeds because I have sensitive hearing and hate the whistling, resonating and other whooshing sounds having the windows open even a little. So, I would guess there is something askew with a gasket or seal as paul said.

vortex 03-11-2019 08:56 PM

Dont get my wrong. It's not abnormally loud but it's also not very quiet. I think a bit of sound proofing would really bring it to a luxury level. It has absolutely no sound deadening in the cabin from what I am aware. With no sound deadening material, no noise cancellation technology... it cant be much quieter then the average car. Sure it's got a slippery design to reduce on wind noise but wind noise isnt the whole picture.

fortesquieu 03-11-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortex (Post 738106)

I'm thinking about installing sound deadening on the tire well only this summer lol

PaulDay 03-11-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortesquieu (Post 738140)
I'm thinking about installing sound deadening on the tire well only this summer lol

That's funny, considering the rear tire wells are made from fiber, pressed into shape. Probably helps keep noise down at the rear.

Road noise also is pretty subjective. A higher level sound will bother some, while a lower level tone will annoy others. Myself, I find a low level drone more annoying then the higher wind noise. I suffer from slight tinnitus https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...o_face_sad.png(Too many rock/head banging concerts up close to the speakers!) which gets worse in the evenings, so higher tones tend to be a little drowned out sometimes.

Have a good day.

user8 03-12-2019 07:01 AM

I've used Dynamat and some knock off brand before (it's been 20 years but I think it was called B-Quiet). You want bank vault-like quiet, pull the door and hatch panels off and line the sheet metal with either of those. Done.

Freedom55 03-12-2019 07:49 AM

You might want to upgrade to quieter tires like Michelin Premier LTX; the OEM tires are a bit noisy and get worse as they wear.

ab16 03-12-2019 07:53 AM

vortex 03-12-2019 08:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the tips. I saw a mat on Amazon called KilMat. Something along those lines. Looks very reasonably priced compared to Dynamat and got some very good reviews.

I am going to do doors and hatch as suggested above.

Anyone know if the floors are easy to get to? I dont want to remove seats I just want to put some down on the floor where the feet rest and a bit up beneath the dash. I'm hoping it's as easy as folding the carpet back...

PaulDay 03-12-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortex (Post 738152)
Thanks for the tips. I saw a mat on Amazon called KillMat. Something along those lines. Looks very reasonably priced compared to Dynamat and got some very good reviews.

I am going to do doors and hatch as suggested above.

Anyone know if the floors are easy to get to? I dont want to remove seats I just want to put some down on the floor where the feet rest and a bit up beneath the dash. I'm hoping it's as easy as folding the carpet back...

Just a head's up.

Under the rug and matting is a thick piece of shaped solid foam in the front going up under the pedals. If I remember right it looked like it was one piece across the whole front, going under the upper console area.

I found this out when I was chasing a damp rug, caused by a plugged sunroof drain, trying to figure out how deep the moisture went. I also ran into it when running wires out to under the console from the fuse box area.

Have a good day.