User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Paul Day is right. IMO the engine braking is a feature, and a valuable one, not a bug.

I'm driving (among other vehicles) a Jeep Grand Cherokee with an 8-speed ZF transmission now, and I often use the shift paddles to shift down in traffic to use engine braking. I dislike cars that don't engine brake.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I went ahead and tried it out. I am loving the no engine braking. I like being in control of the brakes fully. My biggest annoyance was that constant torque converter unlock while engine braking. I could never come to a smooth stop. It would always engine brake then unlock torque converter before going into a coast. Felt like a slight lunge everytime. Now I press the brakes and I just slow down smooth from any speed to a zero.

Now I wait for the CVT to blow up due to this change. I'm willing to risk it. I hated hated hated the way this car slowed down. Whats odd was that it didnt do it everytime. So I couldn't even train myself to somehow adjust for the engine braking.

Also noticed no more CVT whine when coming to a stop. Before it would whine a bit when slowing the car down (can hear it with radio and fan off, but not anymore) and also the CVT no longer drops into that overdrive 1100rpm range and drone there causing that booming sound while driving. It behaves more like the manual mode where the RPM stays slightly higher and moves around more with your acceleration.

Best 5 bucks I've spent on this car.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread. I just wanted to mention all that incase others were interested.

Carry on then..
Freedom55 and MuranoSL2003 like this.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
I went ahead and tried it out. I am loving the no engine braking. I like being in control of the brakes fully. My biggest annoyance was that constant torque converter unlock while engine braking. I could never come to a smooth stop. It would always engine brake then unlock torque converter before going into a coast. Felt like a slight lunge everytime. Now I press the brakes and I just slow down smooth from any speed to a zero.

Now I wait for the CVT to blow up due to this change. I'm willing to risk it. I hated hated hated the way this car slowed down. Whats odd was that it didnt do it everytime. So I couldn't even train myself to somehow adjust for the engine braking.

Also noticed no more CVT whine when coming to a stop. Before it would whine a bit when slowing the car down (can hear it with radio and fan off, but not anymore) and also the CVT no longer drops into that overdrive 1100rpm range and drone there causing that booming sound while driving. It behaves more like the manual mode where the RPM stays slightly higher and moves around more with your acceleration.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread. I just wanted to mention all that incase others were interested.

Carry on then..
Fortunately, I'm not experiencing any of those symptoms. I do have the RPM drop to 1,100 when idling thru town, but there's no lugging noise from the engine and a slight press on the gas brings the RPM and MPH up without any of the stumble that's been reported by some.

Sounds like you've solved your issue. I wouldn't worry about voiding anything with the CVT by disabling this setting. To me, it's a nice plus, but not required and should be a user setting.

Have a good day.
Pilgrim likes this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 Old 04-13-2019, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Carry on then..
Awesome news vortex!

The only thing that has annoyed me about my new 3rd gen Murano is the booming/droning when the RPMs drop to 1000 and stubbornly try to stay there when cruising around town up to 40 MPH or so. Probably some people are more sensitive to this booming/droning (like a manual transmission in too high a gear) sound then others, but for me it really destroyed my enjoyment of a quite ride like I had in my 2003. Nissan should have added an option to Settings to disable this "feature", which presumably improves gas mileage. Though when I moved the shifter over to manual mode and watched the fuel economy screen it didn't seem to change the fuel consumption... I would think it would also slightly strain the transmission, I certainly would never drive a manual transmission in this manner...

I've been searching the Internet for a solution, and hoping I would find mention that someone was able to convince the dealer to bump the RPMs up by a few hundred, but no joy...until your post! Too bad I have to give up engine braking though...

Keep us informed if you notice any issues related to disabling engine braking. I think I'll wait a little while before disabling my new car's engine braking just in case there are unforeseen side effects...

2019 Nissan Murano SL , silver with Tech Package

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather, factory HID headlights (owned for 16 years)
post #20 of 32 Old 04-13-2019, 07:44 AM

I found in my car the engine braking was strongest in automatic and when switched to manual mode it was almost not noticable. As well the booming went away in manual as the RPM wouldn't drop down to the 1100 mark. Essentially with this program, its given my car the exact same ride type as manual but without having to shift the "gears". I'll keep everyone posted. I'll start up a new thread though to keep this one on the AWD topic...
post #21 of 32 Old 04-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoSL2003 View Post
The CVTz50 app will show you the AWD front/rear distribution. For both my 2003 and 2019 Murano, it shows AWD is quite dynamic at all speeds (at least up to 40-45 MPH that I have viewed it.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vtz50&hl=en_US

Also, this 2019 information mentions AWD comes into play during corners as well (which I found surprising considering the lack of center differential...)

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/c...rformance.html
@MuranoSL2003,

Thank you so much for letting us know about this tool.

I downloaded it and contacted the developer about resetting my airbag light, since I knew it was dealing with the consult tool, we talked back and forth and he send me some commands that I sent through the app, and lo and behold, my airbag light went away.
Saved me $150, that's what the dealer wanted to reset the airbag light.

Beside that I love seeing the numbers fluctuates in monitor mode while I am driving, makes me look like I am driving space shuttle, lol. Don't know what most of them means, guess I will have to figure that out. All measurements are pretty much accurate except the speed, which is off by 3-4mph.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odb2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	48904  

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
post #22 of 32 Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 AM

Thank PaulDay, he's the guy who mentioned this cool CVTz50 app about a year ago, and several times since!

It's awesome the developer provides the support for custom commands too!

Everyone should purchase CVTz50, it's really a must have app for your Murano, and the only one that I'm aware of that displays both regular DTCs and CVT codes, and does MUCH MUCH MORE!

Check out its fantastic features: http://cvtz50.info/en/

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather, factory HID headlights (owned for 16 years)
post #23 of 32 Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I found in my car the engine braking was strongest in automatic and when switched to manual mode it was almost not noticable. As well the booming went away in manual as the RPM wouldn't drop down to the 1100 mark. Essentially with this program, its given my car the exact same ride type as manual but without having to shift the "gears". I'll keep everyone posted. I'll start up a new thread though to keep this one on the AWD topic...

What RPM are you getting now instead of the previous 1100? When cold, mine stays at 2000-2200 which I find too high. Thanks!

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #24 of 32 Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 AM

It seems to have bumped my RPM up by about 100. Not much but no more booming sound while driving at 60km/h
Freedom55 likes this.
post #25 of 32 Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It seems to have bumped my RPM up by about 100. Not much but no more booming sound while driving at 60km/h
Have you experimented with the other levels of engine braking the app offers?

From what I can see, there are also 2 levels of less engine braking, and 1 level for more engine braking. I'd like to get the 100-200 RPM increase during around town cruising to prevent the booming, but still retain some level of engine braking (it's hilly around here.)

I appreciate you being the test pilot!

Previous:

post #26 of 32 Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Have you experimented with the other levels of engine braking the app offers?

From what I can see, there are also 2 levels of less engine braking, and 1 level for more engine braking. I'd like to get the 100-200 RPM increase during around town cruising to prevent the booming, but still retain some level of engine braking (it's hilly around here.)

I appreciate you being the test pilot!
The other settings are not recommended to be used. You can try it out and let me know though, haha.
post #27 of 32 Old 04-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The other settings are not recommended to be used. You can try it out and let me know though, haha.
lol Ya, I wouldn't try those setting without first reaching out to the app developer to better understand why he mentioned that too. I worked in software development, so I know unforeseen stuff can happen...

It was also disconcerting to hear assad's report that some of this stuff can be model year specific. I notice that some of the historical data charts items for my new ride are zeroed out, even though the data from my 2003 is displaying correctly...

I definitely will converse with the developer before doing anything more adventurous than displaying data.

Previous:

post #28 of 32 Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank PaulDay, he's the guy who mentioned this cool CVTz50 app about a year ago, and several times since!

It's awesome the developer provides the support for custom commands too!

Everyone should purchase CVTz50, it's really a must have app for your Murano, and the only one that I'm aware of that displays both regular DTCs and CVT codes, and does MUCH MUCH MORE!

Check out its fantastic features:
I just purchased a 2018 Murano SL and would love to use this app for diagnostic info. In the app description though it says I need either a Bluetooth or Wifi adapter. When I searched the adapter (model number?), the only thing I found was some knock-offs from overseas.

Could you or someone recommend or link to the adapter you are using with the app?
post #29 of 32 Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimz View Post
I just purchased a 2018 Murano SL and would love to use this app for diagnostic info. In the app description though it says I need either a Bluetooth or Wifi adapter. When I searched the adapter (model number?), the only thing I found was some knock-offs from overseas.

Could you or someone recommend or link to the adapter you are using with the app?
CVTz50 - How to buy proper ELM327 v1.5 OBD diagnostic interface

I bought my knock-off Bluetooth ELM427 code reader on Amazon 5 years ago for $9, but the link to it on Amazon is no longer valid...

Previous:

post #30 of 32 Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by assad View Post
@MuranoSL2003,

Thank you so much for letting us know about this tool.

I downloaded it and contacted the developer about resetting my airbag light, since I knew it was dealing with the consult tool, we talked back and forth and he send me some commands that I sent through the app, and lo and behold, my airbag light went away.
Saved me $150, that's what the dealer wanted to reset the airbag light.

Beside that I love seeing the numbers fluctuates in monitor mode while I am driving, makes me look like I am driving space shuttle, lol. Don't know what most of them means, guess I will have to figure that out. All measurements are pretty much accurate except the speed, which is off by 3-4mph.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose '18 & '19 models would display similar info since they have Android Auto. Too bad for me, I only have Apple CarPlay but I have an Android phone so I can use the app which I've just downloaded and waiting for my ELM327 dongle to arrive

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: