Lane departure warning - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Lane departure warning

We have an 18 Murano SL purchased 4 months ago. During the two test drives the salesman explained how the Murano does not have what would be considered a lane departure warning system like the 18 Rogue we drove had. He explained that the vehicle does monitor lane departures and will show the cup of coffee symbol alerting you to come back to the center of the lane. Our salesman has left the dealership and no one there can help explain why our system really does nothing to alert us about lane departures. If I deliberately drive over the lane line several times I might randomly get the cup of coffee warning. The dealership said that this is all it's supposed to do. The owners manual really doesn't explain this system very well. My question is this, Is the cup of coffee symbol mostly useless or is ours malfunctioning. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My 2014 had that annoying "beep, beep, beep" lane departure warning. I never cared for it and apparently a lot of others didn't like it either. My 2016 Platinum and the wife's 2017.5 SL don't have it so I think its fair to say they got rid of it. Now if the coffee brewing icon was a Starbucks icon and offered discount latte's, now that would be a cool feature!

2017.5 SL (Hers)
2016 Platinum
2014 Platinum
2011 Murano LE with Nav
2009 Murano SlL (Hers)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The 2018 Murano has Intelligent Driver Awareness, not Lane Departure Warning.

Here is a link to the video explaining the feature:

https://youtu.be/lwunmlUH7Zw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Wow, thats such a half assed "feature"
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
I agree this a useless feature and I disabled it the second day of ownership. I am actually glad the vehicle does not have lane departure warning, as these systems can be intrusive and potentially useless if roads do not have clear or accurate lane markings (as is often the case here in New England)

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
The 2019 adds two lane keeping technologies.

The one I like is LDW (Lane Departure Warning). Above 37 mph it will vibrate the steering wheel if you approach a lane marker (it doesn't vibrate if you use you turn signal.) Quite useful and not intrusive.

The second one is more dubious. It's called I-LI (Intelligent Lane Intervention). It uses the brakes to nudge the car back into the lane. It feels odd...

Both can be enable/disabled in Settings. However, I-LI must be enabled for each engine start via a switch.

Both use a camera that's mounted by the rear-view mirror. The camera housing is HUGE. The camera is used for other things too, like speed limit sign recognition and pedestrian detection.

2019 Nissan Murano SL , silver with Tech Package

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather, factory HID headlights (owned for 16 years)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
If people would stop texting and driving, none of these annoying features would be necessary. I know after a year of driving my 2018, I am NOT a fan of the adaptive cruise control and there is no way to shut that feature off and use it as normal cruise. This is all very annoying!

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for the help. I agree with those that said this is pretty much a worthless feature. I knew it wasn't like the new lane departure warning systems but the salesman played it up to be more than it really is. My fault for not doing more research. By the way, I just heard about a new Ford Edge that was in a serious accident when the lane departure system actually over-steered the vehicle into the next lane causing an accident.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lane Departure systems sound cool in theory, but I think Nissan and a lot of the mainstream companies are just half assing it and building the systems cheaply just so they can say they offer the feature.

You look at Tesla and they have a crazy array of cameras and sensors and a powerful computer onboard to figure out what to do with all that data, along with its intenet connection. Theyre using their whole ass!
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the 19, and actually like the feature. I don't text, read etc. But coupled with the auto-cruise control and lane departure warning it does a great job on the highway. It's not an annoying scream if you get on the line, but it does gently 'adjust' your trajectory to keep you in the lines. It does not however 'steer'. It's more like a bit of a wake up if your mind drifts while driving. Subtle, but it works well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: