Transmission Hard Downshift - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
This old 2015 thread (long) has mention of very similar problems.

https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...g-lunging.html

I agree with PaulDay, it sounds like vortex's torque converter was not disengaging at the proper speed. I wonder if turning off engine braking in CVTz50 disables to torque converter lockup? Can you confirm vortex?

If it does disable lockup, I would think gas mileage would suffer... vortex, has your gas mileage changed at all since disabling engine braking?

2019 Nissan Murano SL , silver with Tech Package

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather, factory HID headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
My torque converter has always locked up at around 40km/h and had been smooth as butter. No jolts or anything.

It was the release which was always random. Some days it would release at 40kmh and the engine braking would stop but on other days it would hold until about 15kmh and as it was slowing to the lower speed it was become more and more aggressive in terms of braking until release.

Now I find my acceleration has not changed one bit. It still engaged at 40kmh and is smooth. But now when coming to a stop I dont have any engine braking. I can still very very very slightly feel the torque converter unlock at 40kmh but it doesnt affect the feel of my braking in anyway.
MuranoSL2003 likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex View Post
In my case, when slowing down, meaning pressing on the brakes when coming to a stop. I feel an additional force of braking happening in the background. So if I let go of my brake pedal, I still feel the car slowing down drastically from about 30km/h to 15km/h before it releases and then the car goes into coast. This happens on flat roads everytime I'm coming to a stop. I dont know the technical term for this but in my opinion, this is engine braking as the cars engine is slowing down my vehicle. This is the exact feature that I disabled. I do find when In cruise control, my car still adjusts its speed via engine brake as on a dark road I do no see the brake lights activate but the car is slowing down when the car ahead slows down a bit.

So just to clarify the confusion. The festure I turned is the additional to my brake pedal slowing down of my vehicle when I was coming to a stop. Flat road, down hill, up hill....
This is very clear to me! Thank you.

Paul, thanks for your post; you and I are evidently using the term the same way. Locking up the torque converter is an excellent way to get the benefit of engine braking, which to me is a real bonus and benefit.

Here's my take on the situation:

If you're not using engine braking whenever you can, you're putting more wear on your brakes than you need to. The Murano's engine braking mechanism uses no additional gas, and since it slows the car simply using the resistance of the engine, it causes no additional wear to the engine.

But using it does save wear on the brakes, because any speed reduction the engine doesn't provide, you have to provide with the brakes. So if you eliminate engine braking, you're wearing out your brakes faster than you need to.

Perhaps it's because I grew up driving manual transmissions (and still do so by choice) I'm very used to letting up on the gas pedal and feeling the car slow by engine braking. When I drive our Jeep, I often use the shift paddles to step the automatic transmission down a couple of gears when I see traffic slowing ahead, just to use engine braking and reduce the amount of braking I need to do. The transmission is designed for shifting both up and down, and it doesn't use any more gas to do this.

Of course, everyone should drive in a way that's most comfortable and effective for them. I just thought I'd pursue the topic to try and get a common understanding of the term and the mechanical function it describes.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Mine behaves exactly like Vortex described his. I've tried to buy the ELM327 dongle locally to no avail so I've just ordered one from Amazon (I'm only risking about $20!). If I may add, this happens when braking normally with a warm engine/CVT coming to a stop; when braking gently or hard I don't feel or hear the engine braking.

And yes, if I don't have automatic engine braking anymore, I could always downshift manually if going down on a long and steep hill if need be. The 3rd gen has 7 virtual gears and it works wonders contrary to 2nd gen which only had OD off and Low!

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
In my case, when slowing down, meaning pressing on the brakes when coming to a stop. I feel an additional force of braking happening in the background. So if I let go of my brake pedal, I still feel the car slowing down drastically from about 30km/h to 15km/h before it releases and then the car goes into coast. This happens on flat roads everytime I'm coming to a stop. I dont know the technical term for this but in my opinion, this is engine braking as the cars engine is slowing down my vehicle. This is the exact feature that I disabled. I do find when In cruise control, my car still adjusts its speed via engine brake as on a dark road I do no see the brake lights activate but the car is slowing down when the car ahead slows down a bit.

So just to clarify the confusion. The festure I turned is the additional to my brake pedal slowing down of my vehicle when I was coming to a stop. Flat road, down hill, up hill....
I think my situation is exactly that, but I suck at explanation lol

I was told that my rear brake pads have about 20%-30% left, so I was thinking could that be a factor? Like the engine braking kicks in more aggressively as my braking is taking longer to happen?
post #21 of 28 Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortesquieu View Post
Quote:

I was told that my rear brake pads have about 20%-30% left, so I was thinking could that be a factor? Like the engine braking kicks in more aggressively as my braking is taking longer to happen?
I dont think so.
Even if your pads are wearing down, you will have the same braking power. What makes this possible is the piston pushes against the pads, so the distance between your pads and the rotor remains the same.
Pilgrim likes this.

2015 Nissan Murano SV ( Custom MODS )
- Illuminated kick plate (non OEM added)
- RGB Foot well lightning (multiple colors)
- RGB compartment light (follows foot well lighning and color)
- LED DTRL on fog frame
- Cup Holder LED lightning
- Android head unit
- Custom leather seat cover (red accent)
- Custom floor mat
- superbright LED Dom light
- SGNL superbright 55W 6000K headlight
- Kenwood powered 150W subwoofer
- Kenwood 600W amp
-LED turn signal
-Accent LED lightning
post #22 of 28 Old 04-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
I received my EML327 dongle this morning and turned the engine braking off (after some fumbling) but I would say it's about 50% better then before; there is still some engine braking and the revs still stay a 1,000 rpm but as soon as I press a little more on the gas pedal, the revs go up. I've rechecked and the change to off was showing but I'll recheck to make sure the change took place.
MuranoSL2003 likes this.

Canadian 2017.5 Pearl White SV w/Driver Assistance Package replaced '14 SL Pearl White. Cargo net. Cargo protector (home made with carpet). Nissan black rubber floor mats. SS rear bumper protector. Draw Tite hitch. Blind zone mirrors. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers. Spoiler under front bumper removed. H11 to H9 low beam conversion. Nissan polished SS rear license frame.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortesquieu View Post

As assad said, this is not the case. When brake pads get thin, they are more prone to brake fade under extreme braking that really heats up the pads and rotor, but that has nothign to do with your case. As pads wear, there is no difference in feel or brake pedal travel.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #24 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Here is Nissan's official verbiage on the engine braking. From the 2015 FSM, TM section, page 46:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	48986  
MuranoSL2003 likes this.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Here's what the 2017 FSM has for CVT settings.

Have a good day.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CVT Settings.pdf (66.3 KB, 33 views)

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #26 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I'll bring it to a mechanic to check on it as it's getting annoying for me to drive in the city.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-26-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Good find. My 2017 did it all the time which was annoying. If it was only downhill then I wouldn't mind. Turning it off had made my driving experience a hundred times better.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-17-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Update: Took it to Nissan and they're replacing the valve body. Hopefully that would fix the issue.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: