1Likes
  • 1 Post By grimz

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 05-23-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anti Collision Systen/Cruise Failure

Last week after driving about 20 minutes an alarm tone, an icon warning light appeared on the dash and the cruise suddenly dropped out causing rapid deceleration on my barely 3 year old 2015 low mileage Sl . I started the car the next day and after about the same driving time same issue . Tuesday took the car to the dealership service dept where upon hearing my issues informed me that it was a problem currently being repaired at Nissan's expense on the Rogue model but not the Murano's . I was told it involved removing front bumper and sensor , doing an alignment and then Calibration of the sensor ; A very expensive repair on an well known safety issue with a existing recall on same components on another model , I called Nissan and I have to pay $158 to diagnosis this and then begin the battle with Nissan and the National Highway Safety agency . Seems ridiculous given the Failure of this Bosch supplied sensor is well documented all over the internet . I encourage those who have had non weather driven issues with this to file complaints with Nissan and the National Hwy Safety Board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had the same issue with my 2018. Purchased the car from a non-Nissan dealer, worked fine for two days, then every time I would drive, the distance sensor light would come on about 10-20 minutes into the drive. Cruise control and AEB would be non-functional. Note, that unlike some reports, I did not get the "radar obstruction" message. Just the error light and a beep. This would happen on every single trip. Restarting the car would restore functionality for another 10-20 minutes.

Took it to a Nissan dealership, they confirmed the issue, called Nissan, and initially told me that Nissan said to try reprogramming and realigning the sensor. But before they started, they called me back and said that there was damage to the sensor bracket, from a rock or something flying up off the road and hitting it, and so it would not be covered under warranty. This is complete BS. Any impact significant to damage the bracket/sensor would cause it to be completely non-function. Not a consistent intermittent issue where it goes out after 15 minutes.

Took the Nissan dealer's BS report and gave it to the original dealer where I bought the car. They confirmed the issue and agreed to repair it. Took about a month for scheduling and to get the part, but they installed it. Then had to take the car back to Nissan dealership so they could program the sensor. The dealership billed 2.5 hours for this, which seems very high.

While waiting to see if the original dealership would cover the repair, I reached out to Nissan Consumer Affairs. I explained the situation, noted that Nissan itself has a TSB out about this issue, and asked them to cover the repair or at least give me a discount on a new sensor. Three days later the case rep from consumer affairs politely told me they wouldn't do anything.

The latest technical service bulletin and the one that is most directly applicable is NTB19033. Here is a summary: Note that Nissan itself acknowledges the issue and instructs dealerships and other authorized repair centers to replace the sensor if it was made before January 2018. Seeing the full bulletin requires purchasing access to Nissan tech-info. It costs $75 for a month, $720 for a year, or $20 for one day. The one day access might be worth it to get the full bulletin. (Note, I can't link directly to the summary, but you can find it by searching the main page for 2018, Murano, "radar".

Link to official service builtins from Nissan
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/...l/nmIndex.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: SB AEB/FEB Light Turns ON or Front Radar Obstruction Message While Driving
Summary of NTB19033:
IF YOU CONFIRM
* The customer states that while driving, the Automatic Emergency Braking
(AEB) or Forward Emergency Braking (FEB) warning light illuminated (Figure 1),
Or
* The AEB/FEB message "Unavailable Front Radar Obstruction" was displayed
(if so equipped).
NOTE:
* Incident can occur once, or multiple times during a trip.
* DTC C1A16-97 or C1A16 may be stored as current or past.
And Under the following conditions:
* While the weather is clear (rain, fog, snow, ice, etc., are not present),
* No obstructions are present in front of, or on, the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
distance sensor; can include, but are not limited to bugs, dirt and mud.
ACTION
a. Check the date code on the ICC distance sensor.
b. If the ICC distance sensor was manufactured before 01.09.2018, replace it.
Please see this bulletin for further details.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I had mine replaced, I made sure that the new one was manufactured after this date. I also made sure to keep the old sensor, as there is a class action lawsuit against Nissan for this very issue. The suit (link below) in in the early stages, but Nissan will likely settle a few years from now.

Here is an earlier TSB about the issue that basically tells the techs to look for damage then reminds them that *hint hint* any damage voids warranty service:
https://nissan.oemdtc.com/255/servic...15-2016-nissan

Class action lawsuit about the sensor and AEB failures filed in California against Nissan. It specifically includes the Murano.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co.../Nissan-CA.pdf

Article with more information and some other relevant TSB's
https://www.autoconnectedcar.com/201...ms-what-to-do/

Update us on your case. Did you get the repair? Did it help? Cost?
Keyz likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: