Nissan Murano Forum banner

Is this Normal? Hitting the Gas pedal from a stop.

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  mattski 
#1 ·
So I have a 2015 awd platinum murano and I was wondering if this is normal for it. When at a complete stop if I hit the gas pedal all the way to the floor it basically does not nothing. It feels like its not really spinning the tires or moving like a regular car would. Is that like the normal operation of the cvt? I usually drive the thing by barely hitting the gas pedal and it drives fine. If I'm on the highway and I hit the gas pedal down all the way it runs fine like it accelerates fine and you can tell its moving. But for some reason at a complete stop and I slam the pedal to the floor it basically strugles to get up to speed and kind of feels like its not finding a gear or something.

#3 ·
I'll have to really look at it today but I think the RPM increase but the car barely moves. It moves but it doesn't move like when your on the highway. Do you think it might have something to do with traction control or something? My warranty is up.

#5 ·
I would if it's under warranty as well. I would think you'd be able to get your 100 back as well if they find an issue.

Don't know the history of your maintenance. But from what I've been reading over the 4 years I have had my Murano it's critical that the CVT fluid be checked and changed as needed and regularly. I have had the "jutter" issue and the valve body replaced a couple of years ago (a bit irrelevant in this case).

But I have not had your experience and I don't recall seeing anything similar on this site for the 3rd Gen of Murano.

I know enough to either be dangerous or if I'm getting ripped off depending on the variables/circumstances. But this sounds like something that certainly needs to get looked at by Nissan or a qualified mechanic.

#6 ·
Definitely not normal. Sorry to hear about this. My Murano accelerates almost instantaneously with no discernible lag or delay. Definitely have this checked out and have dealer perform repairs under warranty.

#11 ·
Yes it is a myth. Any car transmission must be built to take that.

If you do it 30 times a day every day, sure, it will cause premature wear. If you don't make it a constant habit, I don't see a problem.

#8 ·
On another side note, Why would you want to smash the pedal to the floor from a complete stop. Are we drag racing??:8:

#10 ·
So I think the thing is driving the way its supposed too. I"m use to driving my old 08GT Eclipse for over 10 years so this is my 1st suv. I did some test driving and when I smash the pedal to the floor making a left turn, even though its awd the traction control light came on and then it took off. On a straight away I smashed the pedal to the floor and it does take off but it takes some time because of the weight of the suv. I think what I was doing before was hitting the pedal about half way and it didnt seem like it was moving fast enough.

#14 ·
Do you notice the stability control light coming on when this happens? Wheel spin will sometimes cut the RPMs down until traction control/stability control gets over itself. I see this happening occasionally when I'm coming off a stop sign onto a heavy traffic road and I'm trying to get out quickly. It's like the engine RPMS cut out, which is not ideal for getting up to speed and out of the way quickly.

#15 ·
This is the main reason why I went to a wider tire, more traction. Also learned to feather the throttle just to the point before the tires start to slip, then punch it once the car is straight and stable.

Have a good day.

#17 ·
So today going about 5 - 15 mph the car started to buck, kind of like we were going over speed bumps. Someone mentioned a "Judder" issue. Does this sound like that? Its going to the dealer in about a week to get looked at. I really can't get it to do it on demand. Happened for the first time today.

#18 ·
I've had something similar happen with my '17 Murano. It wasn't from a dead stop though. I was moving slowly after having pulled away from a light and needed to accelerate quicker than normal and it didn't really want to do anything, like no response. This has happened a couple times since I bought it.

#21 ·
Is it possible you had some wheel slip that activated the traction control? I find it to be overly sensitive to little slippage like from water, sand or leaves. It cuts power significantly until you take your foot off the accelerator and reapply. I wish we could turn this off like we could in my gen 2, or at least decrease the sensitivity for more spirited driving :D

#22 ·
Sorry to hear that, but at least you have a chance of figuring out what really is going on with the acceleration issue. Keep us posted. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.