• 1 Post By 'Ric
  • 2 Post By CascadiaDriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Towing with a 2107 Murano

Does anyone know why Nissan changed the towing weight from 3500 to 1500 for the 2017 Murano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
It has been debated at some length with no actual information available. I think popular opinion is that there really isn't a mechanical change.

Whether that leaves it up to you to tow over 1500 pounds is personal opinion. I have plenty of practice towing, I understand how to avoid undue stress on a tow vehicle, and I wouldn't be nervous about towing more than a ton.

At they say on the Interwebz, "YMMV."

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
I wouldn’t tow with a Murano.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage
I towed a 5' x 8' closed U-Haul trailer with about 1,000lbs of furniture about 60 miles thru back county hilly highways without any issues. The load was balanced so that there was only about 75lbs on the tongue. I hardly knew that the trailer was there. I did downshift gears when going down long hills and let the engine brake keep the speed down.

I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #5 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I wouldn’t tow with a Murano.

I agree wholeheartedly.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #6 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I tow with mine, and no issues, everything from garden supplies, to old wood floors and ceramic tiles while we were doing our home renovations, I have a small utility trailer (home built) and have had up to 1000 lbs in it, heck I have even towed home a few deer after a successful hunting trip, including all my gear, that way I don't dirty up the inside of the Murano...

Even brought my new to me bike home. bike is 550 pounds, plus the trailer, and had no issues at all....

PaulDay likes this.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
post #7 of 10 Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been towing with my AWD 2009 Murano SL since shortly after I bought it in late 2008. It now has 196,000 miles and going strong. I have towed Uhaul trailers with at least 2,500 lbs of stuff (moving grandma from LA to the SF Bay area.) uphill and down (including the long 6% Tejon Pass grade on the Grapevine on I5. I've towed my jetski (about 1200 lbs with trailer) over the 7% Cuesta Grade on US 101 north of SLO, and up and down through the Sierra Nevada mountains to Lake Tahoe frequently.

The CVT transmission did fail at 155,000 miles, but not while towing anything and that was at least 5 years after I did the big tow of the heavy Uhaul trailer over Tejon Pass. The failure did, however, occur two days after I let the Nissan dealer do a transmission flush for the first time ever. Never Again! (the new CVT transmission cost was "discounted" to $2300 after some serious discussion with the dealer about the timing of the failure...)

The 2009 Muranos have a connector for trailer lights in the rear hatch area, making is simple to connect a trailer wiring plug when adding a receiver. (eTrailer had the wiring harness to attach to that connector.) When I installed mine, I could not get it working until I discovered a missing fuse in a slot in the fuse box in the engine bay. The slot was labled "trailer"...

I'm planning to keep driving (and towing) the Murano for a few more years. I love the CVT transmission for mountain driving - no "hunting" the gears on grade changes.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Guys,
I have a 2011 Murano and I have a braked 2 tonne tipping trailer. I regularly have 1500 kg in there and pull it up a 18 kilometre 1:10 hill at 50mph in 45c temperatures (112F), never have an issue.
The only danger is forgetting the trailer is behind, as it is so quiet.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 PM

I think I probably exceeded that with my 2004 Murano in this pic. It is a 2004, and still running well until recently. It only has 92,000 miles on it, but that includes a lot of gravel and mountain roads. This pic is from 2013, although now in 2018 I have leaking from the transmission seals at both axles and transfer box. My head gasket seals are also oozing, but the dealer wanted over $1000 to replace them so I think I'll just keep adding a quart of oil every so often.
'Ric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1020677_10201134232734731_791632202_o.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	47294  
Robotaz likes this.

| 2004 Murano SL AWD
| Midnight Blue
| Caffe Latte Leather
| added:
| tow hitch, detachable winch,
| backup camera & monitor...
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 01:37 AM

2017 Murano Towing RV

Hi, I wanted to share my experience for those considering towing a light RV. Last Summer I drove from Spokane Washington to Detroit MI area and picked up a light weight RV (1090lbs dry) and drove it across the Great Lakes through Southern Canada over here to Eastern Washington. Then in September I took it up through the Canadian Rockies, across BC to Prince Rupert and up to Alaska and back. In December I took a trip down the coast to California. I just got back from Olympic National Park. With speeds of 65 or less (mph) I can get about 14 mpg with regular or around 17 with Premium. Run that up to 70 or 75 and the milage drops considerably to around 11 or 12. Overall no problems. I try to keep my weight manageable and balance it in the trailer. I'd say with the fridge full, the water tank (19 gal) and a cargo container with fire wood plus baggage and a friend we probably are exceeding the weight limit. I go easy on it though. No problems with it yet. I do think it runs better though on Premium gas. The RPM's are not as high. Love the feel of the car and the leather seats are so comfortable. I was a bit nervous at first with towing on a CVT but even in 104 f degrees in the hills the temperature gage barely went up at all. the transmission is cooled in the radiator, but a mechanic said after 100,000 miles if your still towing it may not be a bad idea to have a transmission cooler installed just to be safe. Below, you see the picture of what I tow. That's near Hyder Alaska off a dirt road that heads back across an uncontrolled border crossing with British Columbia where there is a beautiful glacier. Happy towing Murano owners!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	49190  
PaulDay and MuranoSL2003 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: