2008 Buick Enclave, 2007 Ford Edge, 2007 Mazda CX7 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 Buick Enclave, 2007 Ford Edge, 2007 Mazda CX7

Yesterday, I went to the Dallas Auto Show and I got to see what will finally be some real competition for the Nissan Murano. IMO, competition is always a good thing that will only force Nissan to improve on their product.

The first vehicle I got a good look at was the Ford Edge. I don't have the dimensional specs for the Edge but it did look slightly larger than the MO. This could be because the Edge has more straight lines. Styling is a personal and subjective choice but I really did like the Edge. IMO, it integrates Ford's new 3 bar grill alot better than the Fusion does. The Grill really is a stand out on the front of the car. That said, the MO is still a better looking car on the outside. It is art on wheels where the Ford appears to be more functional in its styling. As much as I like the Murano's interor styling, I have to say the Ford's is better. However please note that this was from about 10 feet away. I'm only mentioning styling and not utility or quality because I couldn't judge that....

Down to specs. Ford is putting their new 3.5 liter V6 into the Edge as the standard engine. The engine is mated to a 6 speed auto and transfers 250HP to the front or all wheels. The engine also produces 240 ft lbs or torque. There hasn't been any mention made of what kind of fuel economy the Edge should get, but it should be noted that Ford is producing these engine numbers using Regular Unleaded, rather than the Premium recommended for the MO. IMO, that is an advantage. All in all I have to believe that the Edge will outsell the MO, but that is because Ford is a volume producer. There certainly will be a large number of them sold to fleets.

On to the Mazda CX7.

The CX7 is based on the same platform as the Edge, however it does appear to be a smaller car. Significantly smaller IMO. Styling wise, the CX7 really does compete with the MO. It isn't art on wheels, it looks more like a jacked up sport wagon, and I mean that in a good way. The CX7 is definately a good looking car and I honestly cannot tell you whether or not I like the MO's styling more. Interior wise, the CX7 is better than the MO. IMO, Mazda took everything that was good about the MO and built upon it. It really does seem to copy the MO in alot of areas. The only thing I don't like is all the faux metal paint trim, where the MO is real metal.

Size wise, the CX7 is 3 inches shorter in the wheelbase and overall length. The CX7 is also shorter and narrower. Interior volume, especially in the cargo area is significantly smaller.....

Power comes from a 244HP turbo 4 attached to the same 6 speed auto used in the Edge. I don't know why they didn't go for the 3.5 liter V6, because the CX7 also requires Premium gas. Its EPA numbers show it to get 19/24MPG in FWD and 18/24 in AWD trim. IMO, when it comes to practicality, the MO wins in spades.

Now on to the Buick Enclave.

Let me note first that the only reason I'm includig the Enclave is because it is a Crossover. A significantly LARGER crossover. The Buick is 15 inches longer than the MO, its wheelbase is 8 inches longer. This is a big car. It also has 3 rows of seats. I guess you could put this closer to the Honda Pilot in the size category.

Styling wise, I'm in love with the Buick. I could do without the port holes in the hood but the rest of it is absolutely stunning. The fender flares give this Buick sexy curves that make you wonder if this really is a Buick. The interior is simply stunning. Just looking at it, you say, "There is no F'ing way this is a GM product" It really is that good. I was beyond impressed, this was a standard setting interior. Bob Lutz of GM has stated that while this is officially a Concept, the production version is pretty much the dead on same car. My advice to Mr. Lutz is to CHANGE NOTHING.

Power comes from a 270HP DOHC 3.6 liter V6 throwing its power through a 6 speed auto in either FWD or AWD configurations. The engine is an upgraded version of the on from the Caddy CTS, so I expect it will use premium gas, like the CTS.

The Enclave will have two kissing cousins, the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia. The production version of the new Saturn will be unveiled on Wednesday at the New York Auto Show. The GMC's unveiling is expected later. The GMC will also be available with a V8. I don't know if the Buick will have that option. It will be interesting to see how GM differentiates these three cars.

Right now, I have to say that when my lease is up on the MO, I will be looking first at the Buick Enclave. That is still almost 2 years away, so I'm hoping that Nissan will have a New MO to market by then. I reserve the right to change my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2006, 11:04 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sgt_Beavis-

Excellent review!!

You have me very curious about the Buick. I love the MO too much to consider jumping ship, but I would still like to see it in person. GMC needs a new wave of great cars to keep them afloat. Hopefully the Enclave is the beginning of that wave.

Thanx again.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1973 MGB
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM

I have never been fun of Buick. Every time I try one it feels soft. And I do not see the quality everybody is talking about.

The Enclave is simply too big for me to even consider it. But is somebody is looking for a small bus – yes. It is probably worth looking at.

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD
04 FX35, AWD, Touring loaded, Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT, Fumoto oil valve
Dream car: Ferrari Italia
------------------------------------------------

"It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast" - Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
There hasn't been any mention made of what kind of fuel economy the Edge should get, but it should be noted that Ford is producing these engine numbers using Regular Unleaded, rather than the Premium recommended for the MO. IMO, that is an advantage.
The reason Mo likes premium is that it has a 10.3 compression ratio; little higher than the typical 9.x ratio in most vehicles. Higher compression ratio means higher thermodynamic efficiency, translating into higher fuel mileage. If Buick throws another "gas hog" out there, it will only reinforce that they AIN'T LISTENING!

I've seen the Enclave on the buick website, and looks interesting, and I will consider replacing one of my two Mo's when it comes out. I doubt they will offer the value found in the 'Mo. Look for them to be $10-$15k higher than 'MO, and 2-5 MPG less. My "reading between the lines" tell me that they see themselves competing more against the Mercedes crossover than the 'Mo.

Remember, you heard it here first!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Senior Member

I read that Mazda's CX-9 crossover, the larger version of the CX-7 is more the competitor to the Murano. The CX-9 is on a new chassis. I like the way both cars look.

2005 Murano SL AWD - Midnight Blue/Charcoal, Touring, Tech, VDC
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM
neo

Updated info has been posted to the Enclave site www.buick.com/enclave including some on the road footage.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7

I think yo got it right, GM Arrogance has no limit.

Quote:
Originally posted by NCtravellinman

The reason Mo likes premium is that it has a 10.3 compression ratio; little higher than the typical 9.x ratio in most vehicles. Higher compression ratio means higher thermodynamic efficiency, translating into higher fuel mileage. If Buick throws another "gas hog" out there, it will only reinforce that they AIN'T LISTENING!

I've seen the Enclave on the buick website, and looks interesting, and I will consider replacing one of my two Mo's when it comes out. I doubt they will offer the value found in the 'Mo. Look for them to be $10-$15k higher than 'MO, and 2-5 MPG less. My "reading between the lines" tell me that they see themselves competing more against the Mercedes crossover than the 'Mo.

Remember, you heard it here first!
Unfortunately I think you are right. I think they are too far gone to understand they are Dumb as usual and that is why they are loser's.

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2006, 09:47 AM
neo

I would expect the Enclave to get less gas mileage than the Mo regardless of recommended octane level. It’s the size of a Tahoe so it’s going to be a lot heavier. It also doesn’t really compete with the Mo more the Highlander, Pacifica, Pilot and upcoming Mazda CX-9.

The wife convinced me out of her getting the Enclave. No reason to buy such a nice car only to have toddlers beat up on it. I’m expecting minvandom in less than 3 months

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: