More Drivers Seat Problems - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 53 Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More Drivers Seat Problems

My wife is the primary driver of our 05 MO so I don't get a lot of feedback to problems that occur. When I drive it, I notice the little things that need attention.

I recently noticed that the driver's seat seemed to be lopsided, high on the left side of it. Everything worked fine and still does but yesterday when I adjusted the seat I heard a loud pop, like a plastic piece being stressed and then breaking. I reached under to see if anything was stuck under it but nothing. I haven't had a chance to look at it because of the foot of snow we just had so it may be a while before I can assess the problem.

Question is, if a TSB is issued for seat problems and car is out of warranty, will repair be covered? It sounds similiar to the track problems others have had but the loud pop is concerning to me. Any others had this problem?

If I am going to be out $500 or more for a seat repair on a 2 year old $40k vehicle, I am not going to be very happy. My local dealer sucks so he won't be much help.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave

2005 SL AWD Sunlit Copper Canadian Edition
Colgon Bra
Rear Step Bumper Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM

I am not sure about the pop - but if the seat moves forward and back on the left side only, this is likely the common (and unfortunate) issue of the (much too small) nylon gear on the right side rear motor of the track stripping and no longer moving the right side of the seat . I have a 2005 too and this happened to me a year ago - out of warranty, by the way. It seems to have been aggravated by the use of the automatic roll back of the seat feature (a setting you can change) but once gone, the only repair seems to be a total track replacement.

Costs more than $500, sorry to say (more like $1000). But if you harangue your dealer, you might get a deal.

'05 SE AWD . Black on Graphite leather. loaded with Nav, Xenons, Intelligent Key
post #3 of 53 Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

TSBs differ from recalls. A recall is when they determine something was wrong with the safety of the vehicle, and they will fix it free at any point.

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. Which is to say, an up date to the service manual on how to fix certain problems. They are not free if the problem is not covered by a warranty.

Midnight Blue '03 Murano SE, loaded (no nav)
Pet peeve: people with images or more than 4 lines in their signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Exclamation Dangerous seat problem

Craigster - I have an '03 Midnight Blue SLE with all the trimmings including Nav. I have been generally happy with the car and have motivated others so that they have bought Muranos too. Today I have misgivings after the seat issue which you described happened when my wife went to drive home from the mall. When she inserted the key, the driver's seat went askew (to the right) and jammed. She reported all kinds of popping and crunching noises. She is a small, thin person (one of the reasons we purchased a Murano was for the pedal setting function) and she had difficulty reaching the pedals and other controls while attempting to drive home. Her trip was short, but not without risk. I examined the power seat mechanism and found the little white plastic drive gear (for the right track) to have one broken tooth and several stripped teeth. I am preparing to write a safety complaint to Nissan and to the Department of Transportation. I think it is unconscionable for a manufacturer to put customers at risk by approving a design that obviously results in a hazzard that they have been aware of for some time - and are unwilling to remedy - all for the cost of a plastic drive gear! What I would like to know is if your dealer gave you satisfaction, and what was the total cost and inconvenience to you. Thank you.
post #5 of 53 Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM

While I philosophically agree with you that it can be a safety issue, I would doubt you will get far with this argument - so go for it. My wife is smaller than I and needs the seat adjustment feature - even with the power pedals and all. When it broke, I still had up and down, but no real forward and back (only the left side moved).

As for resolutions, well, I coughed up the $1000 for the parts (the ENTIRE seat assembly with all the motors for one little gear!!! That's why it is so expensive) and labor to fix (they did negotiate a bit - as they wanted over $1200 at first).

Looking back, I would consider going to a competent private repair shop - perhaps even a body shop (they usually do upholstery so they R & R seats all the time) and see what they can do. Nissan shop costs are stupid expensive and they ONLY do things the factory way. I now use a non dealer mechanic who is fantastic and can fix my cars (we have 4 in the family fleet - 2 of which are Nissan's) much cheaper than the dealer. As well, I think (but am not sure) the Maxima seat mechanism is the same or similar so maybe you can get a wrecked part to repair yours?

By the way, the seat issue is the ONLY repair issue I have had with my Murano so I ate it and averaged the cost into my overall ownership costs. Small solace I know but it makes me a feel a bit better.

'05 SE AWD . Black on Graphite leather. loaded with Nav, Xenons, Intelligent Key
post #6 of 53 Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all info. I had an opportunity to investigate more and I do believe that it is bad seat rails. The seat still moves in all directions but it does rock now and if at the lowest level and I move it from front to back it makes a loud snap. From what I have read, the seat rail issue is actually a small plastic gear issue. I can possibly make a replacement in metal (benefit of where I work) or find a replacement and fix it it myself.

I have to say, that if my 2 year old car needs a major repair bill of $1000+ for a seat rail, I may have bought my first and last Nissan. I have owned GM before this and my 8 year old Grand Prix ran up about $1500 in 8 years for repairs. My 10 year old Camaro never had any issues until the engine died. These were not $40k cars either.

I love the MO but the high price of repair and attitude of the dealer makes me seriously reconsider a future Nissan. At least with GM I had 3 or 4 dealers to choose from.

I will have to wait until spring to take it apart and see what is really going on.

Dave

2005 SL AWD Sunlit Copper Canadian Edition
Colgon Bra
Rear Step Bumper Cover
post #7 of 53 Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Senior Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by whatsup
Thanks for all info. I had an opportunity to investigate more and I do believe that it is bad seat rails. The seat still moves in all directions but it does rock now and if at the lowest level and I move it from front to back it makes a loud snap. From what I have read, the seat rail issue is actually a small plastic gear issue. I can possibly make a replacement in metal (benefit of where I work) or find a replacement and fix it it myself.

I have to say, that if my 2 year old car needs a major repair bill of $1000+ for a seat rail, I may have bought my first and last Nissan. I have owned GM before this and my 8 year old Grand Prix ran up about $1500 in 8 years for repairs. My 10 year old Camaro never had any issues until the engine died. These were not $40k cars either.

I love the MO but the high price of repair and attitude of the dealer makes me seriously reconsider a future Nissan. At least with GM I had 3 or 4 dealers to choose from.

I will have to wait until spring to take it apart and see what is really going on.

Dave

Understandable.

Homer

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 ThunderBird 2 passenger Runabout

HAD The GOLD RUSH until Nov 6 2009
2003 Gold SLFWD with Premium, Sunroof, Latte Leather, Ultrashield Invisible Bra, Sunroof wind deflector, Aluminum Tank Guard, Chrome Wheels by Ion Alloy, Michelin 235/65-18 Cross Terrains, Garmin Nuvi

2008 Cadillac Gold Mist DTS LUX III - Gone!
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 - Gone!

"Didja ever notice that quiet people are not the only ones who don't say much?"
post #8 of 53 Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had this same problem with my seat. It appears to be lopsided and the rail make a pop when you adjust it. I also have the 2005 model.

SeaMatt,

I would have to agree with you. Please keep us updated on the response from the DOT.

This is clearly an issue that should be recalled. Although not currently reported, it could lead to more serious situations. This may also be a good time to make a poll on how many owners have experienced this problem (not to be confused with the rocking seat issue).

-biggun

2014 Midnight Garnet AWD SL w/SmartStart

2005 Merlot AWD S w/Convenience Package, Tow Package, Sirius Radio - SOLD

For Sale:
- 03-07 OEM Xenon HID Headlamps (LT & RT)
post #9 of 53 Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Drivers seat

Hello all, just joined after looking for parts for my Mo driver's seat. I had the same popping noise and n ow the seat rocks when I am turning while driving. It is ver annoying. I went to the deal and they are tell me it could be $200 to $1400 for the rapair. I have to pay them first to remove the seat so they can see what the problem might be, then pay them to put the seat back, then order the parts, then pay then all over again to take it out and make the repairs. Sound like a scam. I have NEVER had a Drivers seat break. I am the only driver and the seat maybe moved 30 times since I have owned the car in 03.

Anyone know where to buy parts like this? I might spend a weekend and do it myself.

Thanks
post #10 of 53 Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Angry Poor, dangerous seat design

John! These MO seats are driving lots of discouraged owners crazy, not to mention putting the owners at considerable risk. So far I have had only one response from any of the government agencies that I sent complaints to. At least the NTSB acknowledged receipt of the complaint. You have probably noticed another thread in this forum about seats. That other forum is more about seats rocking and some coming completely loose. Check that forum for more info on the that issue. Makes me think "how my MO really rocks!" This forum thread has more to do with the failure of the power seat drive. Nissan installed a small plastic gear to drive the seats fore and aft. Lots of MO people, like my wife and I, are now at risk because we have to drive with the seat severely askew to the right. The dealer wants $1100 + tax to replace the whole track! All for the sake of a poorly designed, overworked small plastic gear - which would take 15 minutes to replace!
If all else fails, you shuld be able to get a seat track at: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=2

for about $433. Good luck and let me know how this all works out for you.
post #11 of 53 Old 01-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Drivers Seat

Thank you Matt. Yes mine is one of the ones that has come loose and I was told by the Nissan Dealer, it just happens sometimes. I could maybe understand a gear that was not designed properly or used a lot to break, but for the seat to come completely loose is insane. Who was the agency you contacts. I should send them a note also as this could kill someone in a minor accident.

I will check out the website also for the parts. Thanks.
post #12 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Re: Poor, dangerous seat design

Quote:
Originally posted by SeaMatt
John! .... The dealer wants $1100 + tax to replace the whole track! All for the sake of a poorly designed, overworked small plastic gear - which would take 15 minutes to replace!
If all else fails, you shuld be able to get a seat track at: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=2

for about $433. Good luck and let me know how this all works out for you.
Just as an FYI, as I understand it is not just the track, it is the motor assembly and it is not 15 minutes to replace but could be a few hours. I guess much of the seat has to come appart including the cover. (At leat that is what my stealership tells me)

2003 SL AWD Black
post #13 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 PM

Thumbs down Dangerous design on power seat drive gear

Hi Gonzo! Thanks for your info. Your dealership is either completely incompetent, or after your easy money, or both. I have personally removed the gear and have videotaped the removal and have photographs of the failed gear. To remove the gear that drives the right side of the driver's seat, it took 15 minutes max. I would show you a pic of the gear. However, I have tried before to attach a photo to this forum thread, but am unable to do so. Max file size allowed on this forum is only 123k. Not much value to that. Pics with even low detail easily exceed that limit. The seat drive (and other parts of the seat) is underdesigned and represents a risk to small drivers who have difficulty reaching the controls when the seat fails to present them in the proper position for driving the vehicle. Nissan's engineering carelessnes put my family members at risk, and I am not at all happy about that. Nissan's continued resistance to provide a remedy for this and other seat problems, as evidenced in this and other forums, is a very clear indication of their value system. Apparently, customer's safety is not worth the $10 to fix this problem. We shall see! Live well, Gonzo! Let me know if you hear any this else regarding these seat problems. Thanks.
post #14 of 53 Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Really, if you can provide any information about how this can be done it would greatly be appreciated. Can you email/post these videos on some FTP site or home page somewhere?

What were the part numbers replaced?

2003 SL AWD Black
post #15 of 53 Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Seat safety hazzard

Hello again, Gonzo. I may be able to post a pic of the gear, but the videos are in the engineering shop where the seat is being evaluated. You may be right! It may turn out to be more than just the worm gear wheel failure. Perhaps they will find out that the worm gear and worm wheel match is incorrect, and that the motor drive speed/torque is not optimal for the task. We shall see soon, I hope! Stay warm!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: