Dust Brakes - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 12-25-2003, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Dust Brakes

anyone has a problem with their brakes during the startup. I asked the technician and they said it is just dust brakes and they could not do anything about it. However i am not sure that this is the problem, it is annoying for those squeky noise to start when i hit the brakes. Do anyone of u guys have the solution for it.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a common problem with Muranos and something that Nissan does not officially have a fix for yet. A vibration while braking has been solved with rotor resurfacing or replacement, but as of yet I have not read any accounts of the dealer fixing the squealing problems.

Brakes squealing has nothing to do with brake dust - that sounds like a BS answer the dealer used to get you off their case. In my experience of working on brake systems, the squeak is generally caused when either the brake shims are installed improperly (or poorly designed) or if the anti-squeal goo was not used on the back of the pads. Usually factory setups do not require the goo, and it looks like in the Murano's case the design of the shims might need to be changed to limit the brake noise.

One member here posted that after he did a few hard braking runs, the noise went away. You might want to try that. I too have squeaking brakes in the morning, but it tends to go away after the first few stops.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

How to solve without having them to noise all the time? do u think the warranty covers this in case of getting worse? Plus is it better to get rid of this noise if the nissan guys know how to fix them. Can it leads to bigger problems.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2003, 08:34 AM

There was a period, about 4 months into ownership, when the brakes would squeal a bit while braking in reverse, but this went away after about a month. I wasn't the only one who experienced this. However, other than that, I've not had any squealing coming up to a year. I don't think it's that common on the MO. If it persists, pester your dealer, it's under warranty.

The Nissan Murano... Love at first drive!
But this is what I drive these days... Does a 12.21 second 1/4 mile @117.7 mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Coming next spring... a 440 Hemi. That should kick some behind.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2003, 05:22 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've got 4000+ miles on my MO... same thing. Big squeak first thing in the morning. Seems from when the car sits for some reason. I've had my delaer look at it twice... no help. Of course they told me they couldn't fix other things but after some persistance they magically fixed it. I hate it when they do that.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric L.

Brakes squealing has nothing to do with brake dust - that sounds like a BS answer the dealer used to get you off their case. In my experience of working on brake systems, the squeak is generally caused when either the brake shims are installed improperly (or poorly designed) or if the anti-squeal goo was not used on the back of the pads. Usually factory setups do not require the goo, and it looks like in the Murano's case the design of the shims might need to be changed to limit the brake noise.

Nice to see someone that actually knows what he is talking about.

You are absolutely correct. Brake squeel is caused by improper brake pad shimming. It can be corrected by doing a proper shimming or applying break pad anti-squeel greese. I haven't had the issue with my Murano but my wife's Matrix did have the issue. It took me a couple of hours to pull all 4 wheels and calipers so I could apply the greese. Damn thing is quiet as a mouse now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: