User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #46 of 48 Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
update - no answer to engine oil consumption yet

Hi, all,

quick update - my power steering pressure line hose was leaking and I just fixed it a week ago. This leak might have existed during the time I was trying to find out why I was losing engine oil. So a lot of symptoms could have been a mixture of both, or even just the leak of power steering fluid.

When I was down there working on power steering hose, I noticed the aliminum block (is that the CVT/transfer case?) has some yellow colored oil. This must not be the power steering fluid which is pink. CVT fluid is still full. So it is either transfer case oil (I'd be screwed in that scenario), or engine oil leaking from that side (oil pump, or what?).

I plan to replace transfer case oil soon and hope the old oil level is still descent.

Is the transfer case oil in yellow color? And similar in thickness compared to fresh engine oil?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 48 Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am losing about 1 quart per 1,000.

After fixing power steering fluid link 2 weeks ago, I replaced the transfer case oil today. I drained out ~150ml old oil and refilled ~280ml, so there is a small leak (seepage). But that is not a lot of oil lost. My CVT fluid is full.

I again saw 2 drops of yellow color oil hanging at bottom of the aluminum block (driver side, probably the CVT itself?). Also the inner side of the drive axle on the front driver side is slightly wet with oil. Like to figure out if this is engine oil (not so bad news) or transfer case oil (really bad news). Anybody knows how bad the bottom of the car will look like if engine leaks oil at 1 quarter every 1K~2K miles driven?

Could the leak be from engine oil pump or water pump? I remember my last car Honda Accord had engine oil leak seen in similar location and that was due to leak at water pump's mating surface with the engine block.
post #48 of 48 Old 09-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
The TC fluid capacity is 310 ml. A little over is better than under.

You driver side axle leak could possibly be the CVT/axle seal. Tons of pics posted. Its a 10 buck seal but you need to remove the axle and need 2 quarts of ns2 cvt fluid to change it.

Maybe you have a leak higher above by the valve gasket?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: